Sign in to follow this  
Dannylonglegs

[O-H06] Atlas Shrugged

Tags: Civil, Buildings

Planet: Farmolis

27068119304_fde7aecb9d_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Dr. Long: "Funny seeing you here, Amaira, I was just headed to see you actually. I have an appointment with you at your practice 30 minutes from now."

Doctor Patel: "Ah, Hello Danielle. I'm on my lunch break. The gardens are beautiful on South Main Street, wouldn't you agree?"

Dr. Long: "Yes, Amaira, they are indeed beautiful. Specimens from Earth, all of them. They grow so verdant on this world of ours."

Dr. Patel: "Indeed."

Dr. Long: "Of course, they grow so well because we modified them to do so... just as we've modified this planet."

Dr. Patel: "Indeed."

Dr. Long: "..."

27605152831_7e7b17e33e_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Dr. Patel: "So, how are you feeling, Danielle. Last we spoke you were furious at me, if I recall."

Dr. Long: "That's an exaggeration. Frustrated, would be more accurate. Frustrated that you wouldn't allow me to return to my duties aboard the Axle."

Dr. Patel: "Of course. You're so much like your mother, Danielle. So passionate for your work... Devoted. And stubborn. You must take better care of yourself, Danielle. The reason I didn't let you go back so soon was--"

Dr. Long: "--I know--"

Dr. Patel: "Your muscular atrophy has diminished, thanks to your regular exercise and consistent Gravity, but your bone density will never recover, Danielle."

Dr. Long: "I take my supplements, my estrogen, my OctaOsteo. I spend the requisite amount of time on the G+ decks on the Axle... And I've looked over the paperwork, Amaira. My bone mass has not decreased at un-expected levels. It's completely standard for my job description."

Dr. Patel: "Then perhaps it's your job description that needs to change."

Dr. Long: "You know that's not going to happen."

27067263894_991e677f55_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Dr. Patel: "I know... But you're damaging your body being in space so regularly. You must take care of your body, or it may break."

Dr. Long: "Then I'll buy a new one."

Dr. Patel: "I care about you. I loved your mother dearly, and I just don't want you to make the same mistakes she did."

27605010581_cc16d2673c_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Dr. Long: "..."

Dr. Patel: "I won't change your mind."

Dr. Long: "No."

Dr. Patel: "When we meet again thirty minutes from now... I'm going to sign off on your request to return to work."

Dr. Long: "Thank you. It's what I want."

Dr. Patel: "I know. I won't delay you longer, then."

Dr. Long: "... Thanks."

Dr. Patel: "Oh, I read your books by the way. "The Modern Darwins" Is a bit too coldly worded for an informal piece, I think. You should lighten up. Good for your heart." :classic:

Dr. Long: "I'll see you soon."

27578686262_073b109c46_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

27605770091_07ac7c63e8_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

27069802273_dc5526dcf2_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

This statue depicts John Hannibal as Atlas. One of the many statues of him that adorn the streets of Farmolis Headquarters city, now. He was perhaps the most efficient CEO we've had on the Andromeda Branch, which I found quite admirable. I could fault the man for very few things. Perhaps he was a little soft-hearted on the Alien species with whom he made contact... but that line of thought brought the Merchant Confederation within our folds. Perhaps the only thing I could truly fault him for was his humility. At times he shouldered more of the logistical burdens of running Octan than the next three people put together... myself included. And for all his work he requested no thanks. Needed no other incentive than loyalty to our great company. A giant among men, was he... so perhaps he would have liked this statue. He once told me, "A Gentleman wears white." What could be more white than pure marble?"

27604753401_eaae38f98a_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

27578399432_1129da54d4_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"If my memory serves, I think he believed in some higher power. A life after death. I do not. What is dead is dead. A sentience, once snuffed out returns to the void that bore it. The only form of life after death that I am aware of, from my studies, and introspection, is that which lives on in others. In those with whom you interacted, and those who have heard of you. So whether or not, John Hannibal lives on in some incomprehensible spiritual form, he most assuredly lives on in the scorch marks he left on this galaxy... and in the stones of his statues. These... more... abstract definitions of life... certainly not a life as a biologist such as myself would describe it... but, these forms of life outlive us all. Our legacy..."

27606139331_ca84470c2e_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Hours later, in a different part of the city....

22101294295_1e37cfe6c5_z.jpg

Kevin: "Danny! Wonderful to see you again! I heard from your doctor that you'll be returning to work on the Axle! That's just great!"

Dr. Long: "Mhhmm. I won't even ask how you found out so quickly."

Kevin: "There's my Danny! Always not-asking the right not-questions!"

Dr. Long: "So... To what do I owe the pleasure of an appointment with you."

Kevin: "Well, I thought you and I might have a little chat!"

Dr. Long: "A chat."

Kevin: "Well yeah! About... your career goals."

Dr. Long: "What about my career goals."

Kevin: "well, I guess I'll just cut to the chase. Do you want to be back on the board of the executives?"

Dr. Long: "Of course."

Kevin: "That's just what I wanted to hear! So... Exactly how badly do you want it?...."

Better pictures in the morning. Critiques and comments welcome!

For Rodiziorobs:

27067301324_9ba7173066_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Really like the build and story!

I liked the part about Hannibal. Even if I didn't know him from the Octan thread I could feel for the character. (I wonder if anyone make a statue of Raven when.... oh IF she dies :look: )

Also nice to “get in the head” of Dr. Long. I wonder what she need to do to get back on the board (apart from making 300-400 credits :classic: )

She should join Kawashita, she'd be first branch executive on the spot :grin:

Kevin haven't changed his office much. Same newspaper too :laugh: (Did you still have the build left while you was inactive... Oh wait, it was the same picture, never mind)

Really like the build and story!

I liked the part about Hannibal. Even if I didn't know him from the Octan thread I could feel for the character. (I wonder if anyone make a statue of Raven when.... oh IF she dies :look: )

Thanks! I hope he likes it too, in his "afterlife" as Goatman. I'm sure Raven will get statues. I think Dr. Long would prefer some sort of Collegiate Scholarship fund, and maybe a University built in her name. Nothing ostentatious. But yeah, I was on break when he "passed" and still haven't gotten the chance to really say goodbye. I hope Goatman does return in some way, shape, or form, but he certainly left his impact on Octan, and AG as a whole.

Goatman did write into his death that his temporal lobe had been scanned... afterall... :look:

Also nice to “get in the head” of Dr. Long. I wonder what she need to do to get back on the board (apart from making 300-400 credits :classic: )

You'll see all that and more in my upcoming story arc, "The Invasive Species" But in the meantime, I can tell you... it's not exactly ethical. :devil:

But yeah, in game terms I still have a whiles to go, and I don't know if I can constantly churn out 5s and 6s all summer, but hey, I'll do what I can, and work it into the story. :laugh:

She should join Kawashita, she'd be first branch executive on the spot :grin:

And betray Octan? Never. She sold her soul to them long ago... which I'll show more of later this summer, I'm sure.

Kevin haven't changed his office much. Same newspaper too :laugh: (Did you still have the build left while you was inactive... Oh wait, it was the same picture, never mind)

Yeah. After trashing the build, I regretted immediately not taking more pictures of Kevin in different scenarios... fortunately the build is not too complex, so if I really needed to, I could rebuild it, or parts of it. I actually have Kevin's head now, with his dead black eyes, so I'm sure we'll be seeing him again too. :wink:

Thanks for the praise!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Awe struck. I know Atlas Shrugged well enough, read the book, watched the movies (they got progressively worse) but I can say you nailed the statue perfectly. Well done!

Better Pictures are up, including this one (which I had a bad picture of earlier so never posted it) of the pitched combat between Pest Control and Vermin... Since Rodiziorobs is counting...)

27067301324_9ba7173066_z.jpgAtlas Shrugged by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Awe struck. I know Atlas Shrugged well enough, read the book, watched the movies (they got progressively worse) but I can say you nailed the statue perfectly. Well done!

Thanks! :blush:

I don't know if I endorse the contents of the book, but I do think Dr. Long fits the "Objectivist" mindset well enough at times. I chose the title more for the words than the philosophy. :tongue: And agreed on the movies. :laugh: Thanks a bunch! Glad you liked the statue! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Flawless design and execution. Might be my favorite build of yours yet, Danny. I keep seeing new and ingenious uses of the Star Wars planets!

Such a cool build! I really like that elevator, and the trimmed trees are a nice touch! Great work.

Thanks! Glad you like the elevator! I really tested the limits of a working gear train! :laugh: it's got three turners behind it. I should have gone with a pully, but I wanted it to look scifi. :blush: also pleased you liked the trimmed trees! Octan is all about that well-ordered appearance. :classic:

Flawless design and execution. Might be my favorite build of yours yet, Danny. I keep seeing new and ingenious uses of the Star Wars planets!

Thanks! I was worried the planet might actually be too small, but it fits perfectly. So glad you liked it! :grin: did you see your cameo? :wink:

The judges awarded you 6 points.

Thanks! :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat