HallBricks

Not able to Convert to callout in LPub

Hi! I am creating building instructions for my latest creation and I just imported the LDraw file into Lpub 4. When I right-click on a submodel step and select convert to callout I get a error message that says I have to many open models.

Is there any way to fix this or do I have to go back and remove a lot of submodels and redraw a LOT of work? Thank you in advance!

lpub_error.png

I don't think it's about open models. It might be a lpub4 bug concerning generic file handling.

I don't think it's about open models. It might be a lpub4 bug concerning generic file handling.

Thank you for replying! Do you hav any idea of how I could fix it? Maybe I should try to reinstall the software?

Thank you for replying! Do you hav any idea of how I could fix it? Maybe I should try to reinstall the software?

Not sure (I don't work much with macs) it might be an os (resource) thing or maybe simply because /lpub/tmp is not writable / full.

Not sure (I don't work much with macs) it might be an os (resource) thing or maybe simply because /lpub/tmp is not writable / full.

Okay, reinstalling didn't help. I don't know much about these kind of things so I haven't got a clue of what I have to do. It didn't work in LPub 3D on Windows either, I didn't get the error message though, the software just crashed.

Okay, reinstalling didn't help. I don't know much about these kind of things so I haven't got a clue of what I have to do. It didn't work in LPub 3D on Windows either, I didn't get the error message though, the software just crashed.

Interesting, I never had this happen in either LPub or LPub3D. Maybe you can send me (in a PM if you don't want it public) the model to see if it crashes here too?

Did some looking around and I'm fairly sure it's a resource limitation on the amount of open files. Don't know for sure what the limit is (some say 256 others ~10000) ether way you can change the limit using "ulimit".

It seems LPub is not closing files after loading them causing this problem, so a bug report might be in order also. As LDraw easilly uses up more the 256 files during loading of a model using many different bricks.

Second thought: does that model load in LDView because a circular reference might also cause this kind of a problem (infinite number of open files :) )

Edited by roland

Did some looking around and I'm fairly sure it's a resource limitation on the amount of open files. Don't know for sure what the limit is (some say 256 others ~10000) ether way you can change the limit using "ulimit".

It seems LPub is not closing files after loading them causing this problem, so a bug report might be in order also. As LDraw easilly uses up more the 256 files during loading of a model using many different bricks.

Second thought: does that model load in LDView because a circular reference might also cause this kind of a problem (infinite number of open files :) )

The model does load in LDview without any problems. The model only contains about 25 submodels so it's way less than 256 open files.

It does load fine in LDview. And, I can confirm that (as HallBricks noted) it also completely crashes using LPub3D on my Windows machine without any useful error message. I'll take a closer look at it now.

@Roland. I highly doubt it's really a file amount issue. I've used waaaaay bigger files with LPub without a problem. And besides that. It's a fairly small model. anyway..

Hmm, really weird crash. I think there's something wrong with the LDraw meta commands in the file (or actually how LPub parses them), since the file works fine in other editors and viewers. Also note how (in your screenshot), the submodel doesn't have a step number. That's not correct either...

I asked the author of LPub3D on the LDraw forums if he has any idea.

Also, the part lists for all steps don't show up as you can see on the screen shot. I am not able to get either part lists or bill of materials.

The part list/bill of material problem has nothing to do with the crash. I figured out how to get them back. The crash is still a mystery though...

So, I rebuild the first few steps in a new LDraw file and I had zero problems with LPub3D:

test_page_1.png

I still don't know what the problem is though... :sceptic:

I should probably try to rebuild the specific submodel that is mentioned in the error message then.

I tried to completely remove submodel 4 from the file without changing anything else and it worked. Now I'll try to rebuild it and hope for a better result.

Okay, I rebuilt the specific submodel and it seem to work now. Thank you everyone who tried to help me to solve this problem! :-)

It works in both LPub 4 on the mac and in LPub 3D on the PC now.

Edited by HallBricks

If you have both files you can compare them in something like notepad++. Should spot some difference.

Okay, I rebuilt the specific submodel now and it seem to work. Thank you everyone who tried to help me to solve this problem! :-)

It works in both LPub 4 on the mac and in LPub 3D on the PC now.

I guess there must have been something wrong in the mpd file, i.e. a 0 FILE or NOFILE missing. Would you mind PMming me the file? Thanks

First of all, thanks for sending me the files.

Interesting behavior...

...and even more interesting after doing some modifications...

In a nutshell: LPUB4 does not like multiple "." (dots) in a filename...

When I remove them from the sub4.1.ldr and sub4.2.ldr I can add the Call-Outs

Now the interesting part: After adding the Call-Out, I can add the "." back into the filenames. It works, it opens in LPUB fine. However adding the next Call-Out crashes it again. Removing the second "." in the sub-files, everything is working again.

First of all, thanks for sending me the files.

Interesting behavior...

...and even more interesting after doing some modifications...

In a nutshell: LPUB4 does not like multiple "." (dots) in a filename...

When I remove them from the sub4.1.ldr and sub4.2.ldr I can add the Call-Outs

Now the interesting part: After adding the Call-Out, I can add the "." back into the filenames. It works, it opens in LPUB fine. However adding the next Call-Out crashes it again. Removing the second "." in the sub-files, everything is working again.

So it was that simple then... Very unexpected. Thank you very much for your help, I don't have to redesign the whole submodel next time then :)

Edited by HallBricks

So, I rebuild the first few steps in a new LDraw file and I had zero problems with LPub3D:

test_page_1.png

Hi again! How did you move the part list form the callout to the main part list in step 3?

Edited by HallBricks

Right-click on the callout and then 'No parts list per callout'. :classic:

At least, that's what it says in the newest LPub3D 2.0.3. I believe it said something like 'No parts list per step' in older versions.

Right-click on the callout and then 'No parts list per callout'. :classic:

At least, that's what it says in the newest LPub3D 2.0.3. I believe it said something like 'No parts list per step' in older versions.

Ok thank you! It said 'No parts list per step'. I missed that earlier :classic: