For this build I wanted to combine the classical Ralph McQuarrie desgin with some dieselpunk aesthetics from the 1930s and 40s, giving it an elegantly curved and streamlined look. Just think of the wind-tunnel designed cars and trains – and of course airplanes – of that era.

dsc00087-colour-balanced1.jpg

It was also pretty clear to me from the beginning that the only possible colour this fighter can have is red. It just works so well with emphasizing its lines and gives the whole build a vibrant dynamic I wouldn’t have gotten in – say white or grey really. Oh, and my affinity for the biplanes of the great war played quite a role too. So see it as the Red Baron in space basically!

dsc00100-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

dsc00103-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

I see the landing gear as provisional, so it can be easier put on display (and to make it easier to find a place to land^^) I really want to make it more elegant, while not sacrificing its stability. Sadly there isn't really much space where it is - but I'm sure there will be a decent solution coming up :wink:

Anyway, apart from that I am very happy with it. It is stury and very swooshable and is a nice display piece :classic:

For more pictures and musings about its design and stuff feel free to visit my blog!

Rather than an X-wing, this reminds me the ARC-170 from the ROTS. Although there are the actual wings missing, only the foils, the overal feeling and proportion is somewhat closer to it :) Anyway, I like it and I think it has just the right amount of dieselpung to it to actually feel very Star Wars genuine! :D

Rather than an X-wing, this reminds me the ARC-170 from the ROTS. Although there are the actual wings missing, only the foils, the overal feeling and proportion is somewhat closer to it :) Anyway, I like it and I think it has just the right amount of dieselpung to it to actually feel very Star Wars genuine! :D

Oh wow - now that you said it, I looked that ship up and it really has some similarities! I was totally unaware of that, haven't watched the prequels in years or paid much attention to the designs in them in general. (What might be the reason for that? :wink: ) Lets blame the brutalist-design they have in common for that :laugh:

Nice MOC. I really like the body and the design of the engines. Very nice work

Looks like a tractor mixed with sci-fi space ship

:grin: funny you say that. Its just what they say about the S.E.5a, one of the classic biplanes of word war one (and one of my favs too):

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_S.E.5a_replica.jpg

So yes, I can live with that comparison :wink:

This is really nice. It looks like it could be from the prequel trilogy as there was quite a strong 20/30s influence on some of the vehicles in those films.

Looks more like a Golden Age Sci-Fi version of the ARC-170 to be honest but lovely nonetheless :)