CopMike

[PORSCHE] LEGO Technic Porsche of Your Dreams

Another question for Jim,if he is allowed to disclose what was the judging process? Selecting a top 20 list or evaluating each and every entry on the 4 judging criteria and coming up with a score? Then the 3 judges scores combined calculation would bring up a semi finalist list?

To elaborate a bit. We all chose our top-20 list. I think 10 of the finalists made it to each of the judges list. The other 10 were on 2 of the 3 judges lists, so we had to compromise (obviously). With help of a TLG representative the final 10 were chosen.

To elaborate on the concept of the contest, "building your dream Porsche"; in the beginning I was disappointed by people building an existing Porsche, so I aksed the representative whether that was allowed. The answer was yes, so after that the judging was simply based on the four criteria.

I had some of the future concepts on my list and I figure the other judges had too. But with over 100 entries, it's very difficult to choose the best ones. Half of the entries made it to everyone's top 10 list, so the winner will most likely be among those 10. But you never know.

To elaborate a bit. We all chose our top-20 list. I think 10 of the finalists made it to each of the judges list. The other 10 were on 2 of the 3 judges lists, so we had to compromise (obviously). With help of a TLG representative the final 10 were chosen.

Thanks for the info, interesting. It is a difficult job, because there were lots of great entries and the stakes are high... So there bound to be disappointment either way.

I've also noticed that TLG themselves call this competition an AFOL build competition, the uploaded picture of the price is named as such. I'll probably buy the Porsche regardless - although it might be a while until it becomes in stock here in NZ.

i think Lego should give each of us ( participants in the contest) a email with a list of all the cars and to tell us to vote1-10 for each one . When it's finished Lego gives us (the participants) am email with the top 30 and we do the same chosing process . And the guys in top 10 get everything it was said and the rest 20 get a smaller set ( volvo evcavator for example ) and a certificate with there place . Jim , any hope ?

Final voting is done by expert judges from TLG and Porsche!

...So there bound to be disappointment either way.

Exactly. My short list contained around 50 models, so I had to bring it down quite a bit.

Porsche 1000 concept car and 911 Spyder ( not 918 ).I like the 1000 more.

Jim , the contest is based around building the porsche of our dreams , Andrew and rules said futuristic Porsches are allowed and i see none of them in the top 20 semy-finalist. No concept impressed you ?

That's a very nice creation, so I can imagine you are a bit disappointed. But it didn't make it to all of the judges top-20 list, so it had to compete with some of the other great creations for a spot in the finals. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Many notes on the lack of originality in the list of semi-finalists and I think I have to agree with them. If the contest would have been about building a replica of an existing model, the lack of originality would have been perfectly normal. But the contest was as open as could possibly be: build your dream Porsche. I had expected to see a mix of original models in all kinds of shapes and sizes as semi-finalists. All breathing the Porsche signature - which is something different from 'looking like an existing Porsche' or 'coming most close to the original functions'.

Edited by Didumos69

I was disappointed by that as well, but since TLG allowed it, we had to deal with it.

Congratulations to the semi finalists! Unfortunately [at least for me ;)], my Porsche (http://www.lego.com/...sortEntry=false) also didn't make it. Judges had tough job rejecting 99 models so far but nonetheless I would pick up other ones (like 10 other ones among these 20). But I am not a judge.

I am looking forward to see final 10 and a winner.

Lesson learned for next competitions - clear description of a "dream car" and separate real models from digital ones.

Lesson learned for next competitions - clear description of a "dream car" and separate real models from digital ones.

True! That's what we suggested too. Combining real build and LDD is comparing apples and pears.

Great summarizing conclusion. :thumbup:

Are you sure functions were a main criterion? My 914.5 SpyTarg had more functions than any other that I've seen, and was completely original (both the Google search queries "914.5 SpyTarg" and "Porshce 914.5" return every webpage relating to my entry before anything else shows up). But due to my lack of parts such as flex axles and curved panels, the looks weren't quite as good as some of the other entries (I resorted to using white 24-tooth clutch gears as headlamps...), and I think this was why my entry wasn't selected. Is this really fair? Seems to me as if the judges are putting form far above function (as the developers did in the 42056), rather than sticking to a "Technic look-and-feel". Just my opinion.

My conclusion „functions above looks“ may not be correct in general, but was made regarding digital entries which did not qualify for next round because of their functions which were claimed to be „working“ and none of the judges can prove it.

Example:

Most inspired details and functions on the model (25%) real model X: 8/10; digital model Y: 0/10 (can´t be proven)

Overall coolness and originality (25%) real: 4/10; digital: 10/10

Summ up: real: 12 points; digital 10 points. Winner: real model.

My opinion about your 914.5 SpyTarg: your MOC doesn´t have more functions than any others, maybe you should take a second look at some others. “Understanding of the Porsche brand design and competition theme” can be found nowhere in the rough and squarish shapes of your car. Putting 2 different wheel caps / designs on one side of the car isn´t amazing at all, same for the headlights.

Anyway – many other people and I appreciated your contribution to the contest. You´re a winner if you have learned something!

Edited by brunojj1

Iam new here, but i followed the rebrick contest and this forum,

i noticed the contest to late to participate.

Ive look through alle the entrees. And looking at the critiria of the judges, I can say the judges did a good job.

Because a model that scores high on critiria no 1 (Overal coollness and originality"), can score low on functions. etc etc

And almost 120 entrees and reflecting of the 4 critiria i think the judges make it a fair choice of the 20 semifinalists.

Understanding the Porsche brand, is something that the model cleary has to be a Porsche.

And several model arent, (in my opinion). Some entrees dont look like a Porsche. With some i thought it was a BMW or Ferrari

Theres one thing that really bothers me:

The ones that try to "buy off" the judges by saying that they also deserve a price, all i can say. grow up....

but thats my opinion..

And several model arent, (in my opinion). Some entrees dont look like a Porsche. With some i thought it was a BMW or Ferrari

I had the same feeling with some of the models. Some looked more like Ferrari and others simply seemed to be existing MOCs which were named "Porsche".

But like I said before; lots of great entries from EB members and I think a fair number made it into the finals. Actually I'm quite proud of EB as a representing community in this contest :thumbup:

My top 5 is for sure:

1 red yellow lemans racer

2. Moby dick

3 carrera gt

4 906 anniversary

5. White blue 919

And the traktor has to be also in the top 10.because that is really original

Theres one thing that really bothers me:

The ones that try to "buy off" the judges by saying that they also deserve a price, all i can say. grow up....

Just to be clear about my position: I'm not disappointed about my 'caricature'-entry not making it to the semi-finals, I didn't expect that to happen although I did have some hope. I just share some critical thoughts with others.

i think Lego should give each of us ( participants in the contest) a email with a list of all the cars and to tell us to vote1-10 for each one . When it's finished Lego gives us (the participants) am email with the top 30 and we do the same chosing process . And the guys in top 10 get everything it was said and the rest 20 get a smaller set ( volvo evcavator for example ) and a certificate with there place . Jim , any hope ?

A bit disappointed that dream cars never had a chance compared to prebuilt and existing models, but I don't think it is fair to expect consolidation prices for also competed: Lego has been already extremely generous to offer prices to 9 runner ups - a total of 10 winners!

Edited by nk4002r

Congratulations to all the selected semi-finalists. And good luck to you all. The following are my personal Top 5 (in no particular order):

Congrats to the semifinalists!

Sadly i didn't make it as well with my entries (Because Digital Build)

3mopq93bu5z1xnj6g.jpg2g4hqkmej1zl4hg6g.jpg

Let's hope that next time we can have some chance with the digital builds. :classic:

Edited by technicman97

sorry for the huge images, working on that...

Let's hope that next time we can have some chance with the digital builds. :classic:

I'm really sorry for you, because both entries look marvelous!! Great work!!

Yeah, the rules and the main idea of the contest didn't have exact boundaries, which caused many interpretations. And as the result of it some aren't happy with preliminary results.

But not me (I didn't get into top 20), there were many great entries so it is hard to chose 20 (not speaking about 10). It's already great that some people liked the model I build. In fact this contest gave some great building experience which should help a lot next time.

Yeah, the rules and the main idea of the contest didn't have exact boundaries, which caused many interpretations. And as the result of it some aren't happy with preliminary results.

which is your porsche ?

But not me (I didn't get into top 20), there were many great entries so it is hard to chose 20 (not speaking about 10). It's already great that some people liked the model I build. In fact this contest gave some great building experience which should help a lot next time.

which is your's ?

Edited by IA creations

3mopq93bu5z1xnj6g.jpg2g4hqkmej1zl4hg6g.jpg

Such great pieces of art :wub: ! The "Rothmanns" Porsche on the left should have won the "digital" category! The red car indeed should compete in a separate Ferrari competition :wink: . I have no doubts about the functions "working" because everything else is designed so well :thumbup: .

Do you have any plans to build them in real? Or any chance you would share some deeper insights / files?

Such great pieces of art :wub: ! The "Rothmanns" Porsche on the left should have won the "digital" category! The red car indeed should compete in a separate Ferrari competition :wink: . I have no doubts about the functions "working" because everything else is designed so well :thumbup: .

Do you have any plans to build them in real? Or any chance you would share some deeper insights / files?

Thanks! The red car is a Porsche 918 Spyder (not a ferrari).

I only want to rebuild the 918 Spyder, or at least the gearbox, because it should be a 7+R and I made a 3+R. I know I can do it, but time didn't let me do for the competition.

And usually I don't build them with real pieces because of the number of parts I have and the colors. Anyway, I test the chassis and mechanisms.

If you are interested about my creations here is my page: http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/89607

@Jim, I notice that I already didn't make the list (which I'm disappointed about... Oh, well!) is it at all possible to get my score back? I would like some feedback to improve upon next time, would that be do able? And was mine considered when making the list? (the name of the entry is the Mission E Porsche)

Thanks

(sorry for all the questions..)

Edited by Buddy010702