CopMike

[PORSCHE] LEGO Technic Porsche of Your Dreams

The only thing that TLG should do, is make a formal statement apologizing for the confusion generated by misleading and ambiguous contest (I'm not getting tired to write those two words, misleading and ambiguous :classic: )
No, TLG shouldn't do this whatsoever. Yes, rules weren't that great as they are with EB contests and the way models for top 20 were chosen isn't great ideal as well. But I didn't see your entry getting banned, so why to brag about the rules each in post? It is a contest, where 100+ people were expecting to be in top 10 to get the Porsche set, but this is not possible, obviously. Someone have to loose be left with nothing as contest won't be giving prizes for everyone. Even half of these 20 models chosen in first round won't get anything. Should we expect second wave of complains then again?

To be honest, if you want to get the most of the contest in a current situation I would suggest you doing proper PDF instructions or learn how to do them. Your models is quite big and complex so it won't be easy, which is good :classic: . When you get used to do it well combining with your future excellent MOCs you could make some money selling instructions.

No, TLG shouldn't do this whatsoever. Yes, rules weren't that great as they are with EB contests and the way models for top 20 were chosen isn't great ideal as well. But I didn't see your entry getting banned, so why to brag about the rules each in post? It is a contest, where 100+ people were expecting to be in top 10 to get the Porsche set, but this is not possible, obviously. Someone have to loose be left with nothing as contest won't be giving prizes for everyone. Even half of these 20 models chosen in first round won't get anything. Should we expect second wave of complains then again?

To be honest, if you want to get the most of the contest in a current situation I would suggest you doing proper PDF instructions or learn how to do them. Your models is quite big and complex so it won't be easy, which is good :classic: . When you get used to do it well combining with your future excellent MOCs you could make some money selling instructions.

I get your point. My last post supposedly was the previous and longer one but I couldn't resist to post again :laugh:.

Well, I am completely fine with my entry not being a semifinalists. Being honest,, I was confident when I posted it because there were only 30 entries but when the list started to grow up, I knew that I hadn't a chance.

The reason why I wrote my opinion (that could 'sound' harsh, but it's not my intention :wink:) is because many great entries (I don't include mine) got eclipsed by existing cars, because misleading rules.That's all.

About future and learn how to make building instructions, yeah, those are my objectives. :classic:. But I will not make it for my entry, it doesn't deserve because I feel that there are some compromises especially when I compare it with other entries. So this contest motivated me to build other car with better functions and looks (hope so). For example I learned how to get a beautiful car with simple paneling as the Carrera Gt by Fannylover, or how to build a compact sequential gearbox like the 919 by Steph77.

No more complains about the contest, I promise :laugh:

Edited by Jonfensu

Are you sure you've checked all the functions? 8 speed paddle-shift gearbox? Tuneable suspension? Full suspension geometry? 4-wheel steering? I can't remember any entry that exceeded that, but I might be wrong.

Mine was also a hybrid (PF motor driving the front, piston engine in the rear). I think the judges had something against prototypes/concepts - not a single one got chosen in the top 20. If it was up to me, I'd FAVOUR prototype models (sticking to the "Dream Porsche" in the competition title).

I understand you're disappointed but just think about it. You say that your entry had more functions than most and that you would have liked the judges to focus more on functions, but after watching your video, you didn't even showcase the prime function of your MOC which is the 8 speed sequential gearbox. Simply pressing pedals and not showing anything will not wow the judges . Its the same thing as digital models, if you cannot show that your model works then it will be docked points. Yes you have 4 wheel steering in the model but again you didn't showcase that. I'm not doubting whether your model has these functions, but if you wanted the judges to see the functions you may have wanted to showcase them better.

Considering the looks of the model I understand that you have a limited parts availability and I think it is admirable that you were able to produce a model despite that disadvantage. If I were in your position I would have given up.

Finally you claim that the judges were biased against prototypes and there were none in the top 20; however glancing at the list I can see a couple of prototype MOCs there. This was a tough competition and there were a few MOCs I would have loved to see on that top 20 list and a few that I feel shouldn't be there, but I don't think there is any bias here. The list simply worked out this way

Just my 2 cents

I look forward to seeing the results of this competition

Edited by Rishab N

@TheMindGarage:

If you can't build identical wheel caps then don't build wheel caps. Simple as that.

Lot of complains about this contest, but it still better then many contests I've seen so far with voting system instead of juries. Contests where bigger models with more functions had more chance regardless of the look and actual working of those functions.

And don't complain that custom models didn't make it into the finals just because they were um.... custom. Making good looking custom cars is hard. Making custom cars that could be part of a brand is extremely hard, and no one succeeded with it it this contest. Tossing in two round tilted headlights and calling it Porsche won't do.

My only complaint about this contest that it was in the middle of summer when people go on vacations but maybe it's just me that I'm not passionate enough to take my Lego's into the mountains or parents' place.

Edited by Lipko

Tossing in two round tilted headlights and calling it Porsche won't do.
Well, how the hell you are going to do a Porsche look then? Most Porsches are very-very similar, with slight body variations. So the lights are the only distinguishable feature.

Well, how the hell you are going to do a Porsche look then? Most Porsches are very-very similar, with slight body variations. So the lights are the only distinguishable feature.

I don't know, that's why I said it's hard. I'm not saying that one should omit the round lights.

I don't know, that's why I said it's hard. I'm not saying that one should omit the round lights.

A modern Porsche dont have the "Porsche" look because only the headlights. Ok, its recognizable as "Porsche" with the round headlights, but theres more in a Porsche car so people say: "hey thats a Porsche!" (think about frontgrill, averal shape, spoiler shape and type and so on.

Older models has more variations in the models, but always with the curvy shape that all porsches have.

But indeed its hard to accomplish that.

I tried it with my entree (906 anniversary) and i think it worked out well for me. I tried to get the porsche curves in it and with use of the contest theme (".....so i build it myself). so a modern automatic rising spoiler on a old car.

If i did not made it to the semifinals, i will be happy with the building experience. It was great and learned a lot...

Edited by Techniccrack

When i look at the contset theme:

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself" and then i look at the entree that made it to the semi finals, there is only a very few entrees that had this line in mind when they build the model. Most models were build with the idea to make it as accurate as possible. The 962 C Le Mans racer is very very accurate and a superb model. but has nothing that cover the line of Ferry Porsche

Every semi finalist has build an existing Porsche but only one model has added a extra function on his one that the real model does not have (906)

In my opinion is to cover the subject is important in this contest...

The biggest issue with this contest is letting digital entries but ignoring them.

Apart from that, in a contest, especially in a contest with this volume of interest, every single aspect of the entries matter. How it fits the theme. How it is presented (pictures and video). How it fits the rules. How it fits the system the contest it's set in (Lego, in this case). How well it functions. How well the functions are chosen (functions that make sense and adds acual value to the model). How the model looks.

You have to put some work in all of this. No one cares about excuses, that you don't have a good camera (you don't need one), you don't have a proper setting (buy a piece of paper for a few cents), your lack of parts (either buy parts or build smaller), that you don't have time (I didn't enter for that reason, even though I have the painful feeling of missing this out, even thought about giving this hobby up).

If you aren't ready to put the work in all aspects, don't expect to get into the top entries when competing with the best builers in the world, and especially don't whine about these things.

...I didn't enter for that reason, even though I have the painful feeling of missing this out, even thought about giving this hobby up...

You might be kidding :look: ? I´m sure your heart will win over your thoughts!

I didn´t either take part because I couldn´t (still can´t) figure out what this contest is all about. And because there are other dream car manufacturers that make my heart beat faster. The “ultimate dream Porsche” already has been made by TLG – it´s a 911 – surprise, surprise!

Is it about to build a "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (a pig that gives milk, wool and lays eggs; translation not possible)?

True Porsche enthusiasts (I´m not) are saying: A Porsche 914 is not a Porsche. The 924 is not a Porsche. A Panamera is not a Porsche. A Cayenne is not a Porsche, it´s a VW Tuareg - the chassis is the same after all. The Porsche design itself is particularly bound to the characteristics of the 911 such as body shape, engine efficiency and speed performance – that´s my “understanding”. What can a Porsche designer do to impress the audience? Nothing, just hide modern high-tech under a bodywork which will look almost the same through centuries. Maybe not a futuristic flying one or a war machine on balloon tires with Porsche emblem (Sariel should have entered with a "historic" WW2 Porsche Tiger though :grin: )...

I still do not understand why my Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet lost, for example, this model:

http://www.lego.com/...sortEntry=false

My model includes many technical solutions created an interesting mechanism, such that I have not seen before. Many hours I spent in the creation of a workable system and new solutions ..Honestly, I was very upset.

Sorry, LP_Technic, nice model..

post-164453-0-57953600-1470914610_thumb.jpg

Edited by denysmart

(Sariel should have entered with a "historic" WW2 Porsche Tiger though :grin: )...

FYI: the rules were clear on that: no military themed vehicle on rebrick.com!

Edited by nk4002r

A large number of gorgeous models did not pass to the semifinals.

The question remains:

- Why use stickers (which are not in Lego parts), and special effects to video?

- How to check the function of LDD models?

- Some parts of the models were painted by hand?

@TheMindGarage:

If you can't build identical wheel caps then don't build wheel caps. Simple as that.

Lot of complains about this contest, but it still better then many contests I've seen so far with voting system instead of juries. Contests where bigger models with more functions had more chance regardless of the look and actual working of those functions.

And don't complain that custom models didn't make it into the finals just because they were um.... custom. Making good looking custom cars is hard. Making custom cars that could be part of a brand is extremely hard, and no one succeeded with it it this contest. Tossing in two round tilted headlights and calling it Porsche won't do.

My only complaint about this contest that it was in the middle of summer when people go on vacations but maybe it's just me that I'm not passionate enough to take my Lego's into the mountains or parents' place.

Perhaps they should do a digital-only contest where you have to submit the original LDD file and the judges actually BUILD everyone's entry...

But that would be very wishful thinking.

True Porsche enthusiasts (I´m not) are saying: A Porsche 914 is not a Porsche. The 924 is not a Porsche. A Panamera is not a Porsche. A Cayenne is not a Porsche, it´s a VW Tuareg - the chassis is the same after all. The Porsche design itself is particularly bound to the characteristics of the 911 such as body shape, engine efficiency and speed performance – that´s my “understanding”. What can a Porsche designer do to impress the audience? Nothing, just hide modern high-tech under a bodywork which will look almost the same through centuries.
I'm not a Porsche enthusias, but this sums up well what I was trying to say if you want to build something that easily recognised as Porsche - it should be copy/variation of 911.

We all remember drawbacks of set Porsche 911 GT3 RS 42056 (disappointing functions, high price, error in transmission and Lego's reaction to feedback about it). With this in mind when I looked at the contest theme for the first time

"In the beginning I looked around but couldn’t find the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself."

I thought of it as "you didn't like our Porsche set? Build one yourself". And they didn't mean Porsche of the future but Lego model of the future - which can be both existing Porsche or futuristic one.

Maybe this is what Lego had in mind originally?

Edited by Atr

That would take them WAY too long. Not only that, but LDD works poorly with Technic models.

It was just an idea. The competition would become a question of "who has the most time to align gears properly".

Lights and body shape. And if it's a 911, the slits on the rear. Although in the words of some car magazines "No Porsche is perfect, but one of them will be perfect for you". Maybe that could have come into it somehow?

At least Porsche has something that makes it easy to recognise. What would we do if we were asked to build, say, a VW? Link a smoke machine to the rear wheels :P?

At least Porsche has something that makes it easy to recognise. What would we do if we were asked to build, say, a VW? Link a smoke machine to the rear wheels :P?

That made me lol in the waiting room of the dentist!! :)

It seems to me that this threat is a little dead:)

Because now we have to wait till september, i think maybe its nice to let everybody here give there top 10.in the contest..just to kill time, and maybe we still can get a nice discussion about it.

Shoot!

My top 10:

1 red yellow lemans racer

2. Moby dick

3 carrera gt

4 906 anniversary

5. White blue 919

6. 919 hy 24h le mans(nbpn.

7. 718

8. 919 (psor)

9. Traktor

10. 714

My top 10:

2. Moby dick

3 carrera gt

4 906 anniversary

5. White blue 919

7. 718

8. 919 (psor)

9. Traktor

10. 714

No way :grin: ! Where is the 911?

My top 10:

2. Moby dick

3 carrera gt

4 906 anniversary

5. White blue 919

7. 718

8. 919 (psor)

9. Traktor

10. 714

I rather agree with your list, but the 919 hybrid by charbel is the absolute number 1 in my opinion. I don´t understand the decision of the judges. :wacko:

I rather agree with your list, but the 919 hybrid by charbel is the absolute number 1 in my opinion. I don´t understand the decision of the judges. :wacko:

If you look on the website a shortlist has been reveiled by the judges. I think 20 or so received a comment from the admins to say they had passed into the final

If you look on the website a shortlist has been reveiled by the judges. I think 20 or so received a comment from the admins to say they had passed into the final

It seems you have missed a few pages on this thread. Perhaps you're living in a different era. What date do you have? It's August 14, 2016 here.