andrewganschow

Which set do you love to rebuild, and why?

I tried to redo the 8043, not for improve it of course :laugh: as a challenge for me trying to do it smaller. I got 2 studs less improving and reinforcing the internal gears but until I get 3 studs I won´t be happy enough to show it.

Manual pumps really does the trick. They're powerful, quiet and make precise control so much easier.

Most definitely. Using the small motor-driven pump, there's too long a wait for the system to refill with air after opening a switch valve, resulting in some frustration when trying to actually perform realistic scenarios. The manual pump takes 2-3 presses for the system to quickly refill. I've decided to completely remove the batterybox (the grabber rotation and outriggers can be moved manually, and I don't mind losing the tipping functionality) to fit the pump in the space between the orange beacons. Now to look for some cheap air tanks, hah.

You've inspired me to take this apart and have a go at the submarine :)

The submarine is fantastic. Best B-model, in my opinion.

I spent the past few days taking 8043 apart, washing, and re-assembling. It was my second set after emerging from the dark ages and although I enjoyed building it back then, it was even better the second time now that I can appreciate and understand the design.

The chassis has always bugged me because of the forward facing drive gears and the easiest solution is to flip both sides around instead of rotating the chassis 180°. Why I didn't think of this sooner is beyond me.

It has also sparked my interest in making it an Ultimate 8043 but the Li-Po battery box kills it. If I can find a way to squeeze in the AA box I may give it a go.

It has also sparked my interest in making it an Ultimate 8043 but the Li-Po battery box kills it. If I can find a way to squeeze in the AA box I may give it a go.

If the price of the LiPo batterybox is the issue, it may be worth getting the similar form factor AAA box if you have the batteries on hand. Space is at a premium in the U8043 - it's pretty neatly packed in there.

Having said that...

20160512_152351.jpg

Things can be made more compact if required for aesthetics :B

The submarine is fantastic. Best B-model, in my opinion.

Finished it last night - you're right, it is rather fine - cool set of functions, excellent building experience (partly nostalgia trip, partly I love the proper 50-piece challenges every step, and partly I prefer the bottom-to-top build process of the studded era), and that reversing gearbox is a lovely piece of Lego engineering. The overall quality of the whole set, both A and B, should put this firmly at the top of everyone's eBay list.

Best B-model though? Still mulling that one over - as my next old set to retrieve from the loft to build is the 8485 T-Rex!

Edited by Josephiah

Currently rebuilding 42009, mostly to try and finally get the outriggers working :wink:

the outriggers are very finicky, I placed a L motor in the chassis, where the superstructure mounts, the axle that comes down I removed, and opened that space in the chassis for the motor, also placed a switch on the chassis, and have to figure out where to put the battery box.

Finally finished rebuilding at the weekend and after rebuilding the main gearbox 3 times it all works perfectly - including outriggers on the one motor :classic:

Best B-model though? Still mulling that one over - as my next old set to retrieve from the loft to build is the 8485 T-Rex!

I don't think of the T-Rex as a B-model because 8485 is a univeral set so all the models are main models. I suppose it is a matter of opinion though.