andrewganschow

Which set do you love to rebuild, and why?

I ask this question as I rebuild 42009 every 2 or 3 months, Spend a couple nights to rebuild and reminisce on the experience of the set, the different techniques it offers to build and strengthen a build. I feel that i constantly come back to this set as it ignited the Technic fire inside, it opened me up to the theme. Just curious if others have a similar set or experience that they love to Re-experience.

8043, because its fully rc functional, motorised and very clever.

For a time lego got it right with the 8043 and 9398/41999.

I do the same. I build and display the model for a month or two and than take it apart.

My favorites: 42042, 42043, 8043, 8460 (what a joy). 8284, 8063 and the oldy 8851.

My favorite: the 8043. I love compact builds with lots of functionality and good looks. For me definitely the best set ever.

I occasionally rebuild 8860, or at least dig the instruction book out and leaf through it. It was the BIG Technic set of my childhood, back in the days when sets stayed in the product line up for years and you could hope to get them for several birthdays and Christmases in a row. I'm also impressed by the functions, given the limited parts palette compared with nowadays and the strength of the model. http://brickset.com/sets/8860-1/Car-Chassis

I'm rebuilding EVERYTHING lately, so I'll reserve judgment on which model I enjoyed the most, but I am absolutely dreading 42009 because I'll be pulling out all the "crap yellow" parts for potential replacement. Those of you who display / build stuff under fluorescent lighting will know exactly what I'm on about here.

Has to be 854 for me. Takes me back to childhood and building it repeatedly, even against the clock. I still build it from memory even now.

I build old and new Technic sets and MOCs last 3 years, but never rebuilded any set (MOC).

But I want to build again 8043-A (ultimate) and 8043-B, 41999 (in red or yellow) and UNIMOG.

Edited by ifilin

Does taking 8448 apart down to the chassis, and building a new body on it count? If so, I've done that far more than I've rebuilt any other set.

But it's fun to do because even somebody without much skill can create a fairly good body out of the few panels and lots of flex axles included. The engine can easily be moved to either the front or the back, and the instructions for the functions are all given. And when all that is done, it's fun to play with.

I have rebuilt the 42009 three times. Built The A model, built the B model then rebuilt the A model. I know I will take the A model apart again to rebuild the B model. I recently started the 42043 and it has such interesting techniques that I know I will take apart and rebuild. I just ordered another copy of the 42042 to rebuild (parts too scattered or used in other things to rebuild from inventory).

As to why I rebuild these sets, it is for 3 reasons...

1. The first time building was very enjoyable, like a good book that you just did not want to end, so you read it again.

2. To me LEGO is all about building, not play or shelf sitting.

3. I rebuild to learn more. The sets I mentioned have some fantastic building techniques and I learn best through repetition.

The more I build the more I realize I do not know. I have desires to build several things, but at present I do not feel I have the skills. I want to gain design skills.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

8480.jpg

I would love to rebuild my version of 8480, how ever when I broke it down for cleaning and rebuilding a couple of years ago I discovered that it hasn't aged well, with a lot of the half bushes splitting and the insulation on the wire had broken down, it is now rebuilt but I darn't touch it again.

Currently rebuilding 42009, mostly to try and finally get the outriggers working :wink:

I would love to rebuild my version of 8480, how ever when I broke it down for cleaning and rebuilding a couple of years ago I discovered that it hasn't aged well, with a lot of the half bushes splitting and the insulation on the wire had broken down, it is now rebuilt but I darn't touch it again.

Currently rebuilding 42009, mostly to try and finally get the outriggers working :wink:

the outriggers are very finicky, I placed a L motor in the chassis, where the superstructure mounts, the axle that comes down I removed, and opened that space in the chassis for the motor, also placed a switch on the chassis, and have to figure out where to put the battery box.

8480 Space Shuttle, 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig, 8880 Supercar, 8860 Auto Chassis, 8094 Control Centre, 8854 Power Crane, 8043 Excavator

I rebuilt these sets several times. Maybe I am a bit old and love studded Technic too much. :classic: 8043 is king of studless Technic no doubt.

The only set I had fun rebuilding is 8043. A lot to learn from that set. But in general I find building from instructions quite boring.

The sets I been rebuilding time after time will be my 8110 Unimog, the 8285 towtruck and last my 8258 Crane truck

My favourite would be the 8285... I can remember it from the first time it apeared at the tv... and then it was a must have ( but I got it 2 years ago)

But anyway, I dissamble all me sets circa 2 times each year, Washing the parts, maybe then do some mocs, and final spending the rest of the year rebuilding the sets again ..

I build each of my sets at least 3 times: Build the A model first, (dis)play it for a few days, rebuild it to B model, (dis)play it for a few days, then decide if it is for (dis)play or for parts.

If for (dis)play, I will rebuild it to A model again (unless 42040, I like the B model better) and try to make it "the ultimate form" using my spare parts and leave it as it is until I feel the urge to destroy and rebuild it again.

If for parts, then I will sort the parts into various boxes, waiting to be used for future sets/mocs (usually found via rebrickable.com) that can be build with 90% of my (spare) parts and will try to build those (ignoring colors and missing parts) :).

So far, my big sets that survive as (dis)play models are 42000 (with RC), 42009 (Jurgen's ultimate version :D), 42040B, 42043 (with RC).

For me, a set that makes me love rebuilding it has to meet the following criteria:

- Do not take too long

- Have some techniques that make me delighted

- Not have some techniques that put me off

- (Optional) The final result looks delightful

Hence at the moment 42052 is the winner for me. Other sets that meet the above to me are 42042, 42043 minus the pneumatic crane, and 42009 B model. I'm not really into building the 42009 A model because its outrigger forces the 16L axles to bend, it doesn't work very smoothly, and it lacks realistic details.

Other sets of mine include: 8043, 9398, 8070, 42030, 42025, 42040.

I'm rebuilding EVERYTHING lately, so I'll reserve judgment on which model I enjoyed the most, but I am absolutely dreading 42009 because I'll be pulling out all the "crap yellow" parts for potential replacement. Those of you who display / build stuff under fluorescent lighting will know exactly what I'm on about here.

yes, the coloration is so different I wondered if there were 2 shades of yellow :grin:

I buy most sets merely for parts. I have trouble building them once.

Agreed, I have several sets which I only built once lol

I buy most sets merely for parts. I have trouble building them once.

I build them at least once. If I like them, they go on the display shelf. If I don't like them, they go into the parts bins. I bought a discounted 8053 with intention for parts. I ended up liking it for shelf display after building it.

So I'm rebuilding 42043 at a leisurely pace, and I thought I'd tackle the modules out-of-order, beginning with the most troublesome one - the Grabber. And ya kno'... I really enjoyed it, damnit. I was patient enough to do a neat job on the hose routing the first time, but now I had the opportunity to stuff everything in a bit better, while avoiding hose kinks completely. I even got to test everything with a manual pump from 8436 - I'm tempted to properly integrate it into the final build.

I even got to test everything with a manual pump from 8436 - I'm tempted to properly integrate it into the final build.

Manual pumps really does the trick. They're powerful, quiet and make precise control so much easier.