Sunder

[MOC]Asteroid Drilling Platform

This is a part of a small future series of MOC's that can be called Astrominers. A realistic point of view to mining in space. This is some kind of mobile drilling platform. Two turnable engines, allow to move back and forward. 3 types of drilling heads are available. Short range and low life support capability means it should work together with lardger ships.

27580952405_f414abc243_b.jpg

26972127313_16d240b36b_b.jpg

26972129573_1882a2e53d_b.jpg

27546661506_45b30d3e58_b.jpg

26970960894_d8caaf3684_b.jpg

27508117031_352278baec_b.jpg

27454239331_95c82f9d51_b.jpg

27508429781_293715b485_b.jpg

Asteroid Drilling Platform by Sunder_59, on Flickr

jilDReb.gif

lqId6gM.gif

Model on Mecabricks.com

I like how this machine is contained within those "cages" of Technic axles and joints. It reminds me of deep-sea exploration equipment, which seems very appropriate for a space drilling rig too.

That's really cool! It looks like a very practical and functional design.

Very lifelike and detailed. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with for living quarters of these astrominers.

Absolutely stunning!

Not only very detailed and expertly built but also; having been lucky enough to see both drilling rigs and space stuff (Nasa museum) quite close; i agree this looks very lifelike (your drill bit, among other details, is just superb).

Amazing built, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

that's some pretty stuning build ! very detailed, and very well built :) and the render gives it that touch of class

congrats

Amasing creation, with great details! I also like the wat you did the drills, which is very realistic!

Beautiful moc... But those renderings are insane.... First thought it was real looking at the pictures. :wub: :wub:

Thanks everyone. Indeed it took more time as usual to make this MOC. Original concept was a bit uhm... solid(?), and now it looks a bit messy and I don't like it. But I see you do. I think next MOC will appear soon, but I haven't got clear idea what I'm going to build yet.

I am usually not a steam punk fan. But your design is a candy to the eye :)

Uhm, steampunk?..

Wow... a nice job... it is really bluffing.

So many details... and you made it twice (one original and one with the colors for explaining)

What about the plan ? you 're space designer for NASA ? :laugh:

Interesting concept for sure! The infusion of gold into the build was a good choice. The orange pipes are also a highlight. Keep it up!

I was, like everyone else, floored when I first looked at this. Honestly, there is so much thought and detail worked in, it really is a very convincing design. Yes, there is a "but" coming though :blush: . Keep in mind I can only have come up with such a question if so much else had already been thought of, so really it's a kudos to you for inspiring such an idea. That being said, how would the crew theoretically add additional shafts to the drill as it bore deeper or is the system limited to only the depth of a single section? I look at it and think of contemporary well drills.

this is a brilliant moc :blush::wub:

That being said, how would the crew theoretically add additional shafts to the drill as it bore deeper or is the system limited to only the depth of a single section? I look at it and think of contemporary well drills.

I was thinking of that as well. My other questions would be: how is this guy getting into the cockpit? you very often get all sorts of ladders and platforms to get you there. I also wonder how this machine will remain stable on the ground in harsh weather.

cheers

sne

That being said, how would the crew theoretically add additional shafts to the drill as it bore deeper or is the system limited to only the depth of a single section?

Huh, good question. That problem was a real headache. Most of solutions made this driller to tall. There is a "window" just above the engine for adding new sections. However now I see another variant, a bit more interesting. I'm planning to make some scene to show this moment, but at first I should make some support vechicle.

My other questions would be: how is this guy getting into the cockpit? you very often get all sorts of ladders and platforms to get you there. I also wonder how this machine will remain stable on the ground in harsh weather.

cheers

sne

Due to extremely low gravitation the real problem is not how get there, but how not to fly away) Leg's feet are supposed to be fixed with some kind of anchors manually.