hachiroku

What about the Star Trek license?

I think the Diamond Select line really hit the mark with TNG. They managed to pull off secondary and tertiary characters pretty well and all had good likenesses. My bridge crew remains one of my favorite sets of action figures I own.

My concern has always been that after the 90s, Star Trek really tried to be Star Wars. It was less about the voyage and discovery and more about fighting aliens. Picard could lead a team without ever raising a weapon. Now Kirk can't finish a scene without a phaser. The Abrams reboot certainly glorifies this by making Spock into some kind of Hulk that has to get angry and then punch somebody out.

We're seeing so many television reboots and most look like straight fails. I'm very much thinking Star Trek will be the same thing.

its seems like the he new movies go by the personality's they said they have but they didn't (they did have them in the old comics every now and then) like Kirk was never a peaceful guy and was very rebellious and Spock couldn't control his emotions like his father wanted him too.

Lego already has got Star wars. So I think other sci-fi themes won't be selling well regarding this fact.

If Lego did get strek trek. I don't think starwars would effect sales or visaversa many people only like one and if any thing it bring in more money

^Great insight into why Trek isn't much of a huge brand right now. Even the new films while successful in the box office, aren't creating much of a fandom. They are just popcorn flicks to enjoy on occasion.

And the new TV show, why is it on CBS All Access? WHY?! It seems they are risking killing Trek again in hopes that somehow people will come to buy another online streaming service (my family has Netflix and Amazon Prime, we don't want any more streaming!)

A few thoughts. First, thanks for your kind words and I agree, the current reboot films are made for opening weekend and maybe showing off your 4K TV set. They are not meant to be remembered in so many years like the classic franchise was. I don't feel that the Kre-O sets didn't sell very well just because they are Kre-O. Not very many people care enough about JJ-Trek to bring home the action figures from those films the same way they would TOS or TNG. I bet LEGO would have similar issue if they made sets based on the reboot franchise.

Second, I'm not a fan of the streaming, but only because it's on a CBS specific service. Could you imagine if every studio did what CBS is doing? After a while that would start to defeat the point of cord cutting it would get so pricey for your average consumer!

I think the Diamond Select line really hit the mark with TNG. They managed to pull off secondary and tertiary characters pretty well and all had good likenesses. My bridge crew remains one of my favorite sets of action figures I own.

My concern has always been that after the 90s, Star Trek really tried to be Star Wars. It was less about the voyage and discovery and more about fighting aliens. Picard could lead a team without ever raising a weapon. Now Kirk can't finish a scene without a phaser. The Abrams reboot certainly glorifies this by making Spock into some kind of Hulk that has to get angry and then punch somebody out.

We're seeing so many television reboots and most look like straight fails. I'm very much thinking Star Trek will be the same thing.

Two thoughts. First, I agree for TNG specifically, DST did a great job. Ditto TOS and to a point even DS9. However, they never really finished Enterprise and outside of 7 of 9, Voyager is a complete no show. And that's my point. As a fan of all of the classic franchise, I want one single collection that covers all five main bridge crews. That does not exist as of right now. Again, LEGO would be a perfect brand to fix this issue.

Second, I also agree, Star Trek has been trying too hard to be Star Wars. While I am hard on the reboot series, even I have to admit that the TNG films even tried to be more like Star Wars than Star Trek, which is too bad. The trouble with the Star Trek films is that after Kahn, the powers that be kept trying to replicate that film with a new villain in each film, Star Trek IV being an exception. :(

On to a slightly more LEGO friendly topic, has anyone here made custom Star Trek LEGO minifigures or sets? I'd love to see them! Please post below if you do!

Edited by milojthatch

Another two cents on the new films. I believe they have created new fans but not a new fandom. Before the JJ films hit I had already seen Star Trek: Nemesis with my Dad, Uncle,and Grandfather in theaters, and a few episodes of TNG. So when JJ's film hit it was enough to push to go and watch TNG and watch the old films again.

In comparison my mother had never seen a lot of older Trek films. When JJ's films hit she became a fan of them; but that didn't translate to fandom for the whole franchise. She'll watch the new films over and over again, but as soon as I showed her Wrath of Khan (hoping she'd at least catch were Into Darkness got its inspiration) she got bored of Wrath of Khan in 5 minutes. The only old Star Trek film she kind of enjoyed was IV and that's because it was so tonally different than any other one. That's what I mean saying the new films produce new fans, but they don't often go and contribute to the overall Trek fandom.

Another two cents on the new films. I believe they have created new fans but not a new fandom. Before the JJ films hit I had already seen Star Trek: Nemesis with my Dad, Uncle,and Grandfather in theaters, and a few episodes of TNG. So when JJ's film hit it was enough to push to go and watch TNG and watch the old films again.

In comparison my mother had never seen a lot of older Trek films. When JJ's films hit she became a fan of them; but that didn't translate to fandom for the whole franchise. She'll watch the new films over and over again, but as soon as I showed her Wrath of Khan (hoping she'd at least catch were Into Darkness got its inspiration) she got bored of Wrath of Khan in 5 minutes. The only old Star Trek film she kind of enjoyed was IV and that's because it was so tonally different than any other one. That's what I mean saying the new films produce new fans, but they don't often go and contribute to the overall Trek fandom.

JJ-Trek is Star Trek for Star Wars fans. Abrams has basically said as much without using the exact words. Hence, I don't expect the reboot films to add to the fandom of say DS9 or The Animated Series. Mostly, reboot fans stay reboot fans, which view the reboot series as just a fun pop corn romp, which is what they are.

JJ-Trek is Star Trek for Star Wars fans. Abrams has basically said as much without using the exact words. Hence, I don't expect the reboot films to add to the fandom of say DS9 or The Animated Series. Mostly, reboot fans stay reboot fans, which view the reboot series as just a fun pop corn romp, which is what they are.

The star trek after beyond (im sure they will make one) Might bring a fanbase to the animated series, They could put Lt. Arex on the bridge to replace Chekov.