Sign in to follow this  
gedren_y

The Midori Observatory

On the island of Nellisa, five miles east of Nova Terreli sits the Midori Observatory. In this five-tiered, octagonal stone structure Astronomer Solas Midori and his assistants observe the heavens, and its effects on the world.

This being a private venture, with no government funding, the work being done here is supported by the production (on the first tier) of the Midori Almanac. This is a quarterly booklet that provides star maps and tide charts for sailors, a lunar cycle calendar, and planting cycle advice for the various regions of the known world.

26951770944_5d9992c066_o.jpg

This evening activity on the fourth tier is light.

26952659483_10973b2faf_o.jpg

Midori's favorite assistant, Lady Valentia Cantoni, is observing the northwestern sky. Dearji the Windsong is adding notes to Tolan duBroise's annotated map. He left the map for this purpose, owing to the fact that he shouldn't need it whilst the Dark Narwhal is part of the Ypsilon Squadron pursuing pirates.

26952660463_9511eaa2c4_o.jpg

Guardswoman Tasha Cooney is charged with the safety of the Stellar Sphere device. She is currently considering the merits of shooting that Oleon nobleman's son in this confined space. His goblet is filled with absinthe, and that substance has been known to cause insanity.

On top of the Stellar Sphere mounting are (from left to right): a stack of parchment for observation notes, two strange, squishy globules found by a local farmer, and three awards. These awards are, The Sword of Knowledge, The Silver Hammer (actually a sprue for those small chromed spears), and the Architeuthis Award for Stellar Cartography.

26952662223_11c8bb75b0_o.jpg

Here is Astronomer Midori observing the northeastern sky, with a barrel of apples and noji berries to sustain him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some things to know:

There are only four images because I dropped my camera on the build.

The night sky outside the windows was done with my Cosmos book behind the build.

I will be using these figures again soon, so you will get better images of them later.

This build comes in just under 16x32, which should qualify it as my free small license. It will be under Education.

The 'noji berries' are from my collection of faux plants parts that I have been meaning to add to my builds.

The guardswoman is named for an actual friend of mine. She is a cinematographer for motivational speaking events around the world.

Edited by gedren_y
Realized west isn't across the river.

Neat build, the angles work pretty well and I like the telescope design

This is a really nice MOC and definitely deserves some more comments.

I like those pillars a lot, and the desk with that Nexo Knights (?) element looks really mystical, great job.

Will you use this MOC to contribute to Nova Terreli becoming a Large Town?