On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, Littleworlds said:

Looking at the mainstream media coverage of the Saturn V, I think TLG goes for a far larger scale than for the Assembly Square set, which is very popular amongst the AFOL community, but didn't got any media attention beyond Lego-centered sites afaik. So my bet is that the Saturn V will show up at a lot of places.

Funny you say this. When the Mars Rover sold out I was really bummed that I didn't get one. Our family visited Kennedy Space Center that next spring. In the gift shop were two rovers. I grabbed both... Then decided not to be a greedy b@$t@rd and put the other one back. I can easily see this on sale at science centers all over the country...

2 hours ago, thorin said:

Funny you say this. When the Mars Rover sold out I was really bummed that I didn't get one. Our family visited Kennedy Space Center that next spring. In the gift shop were two rovers. I grabbed both... Then decided not to be a greedy b@$t@rd and put the other one back. I can easily see this on sale at science centers all over the country...

Not only your country, I bet :wink: 

The landing on the Moon was an event the whole planet followed on the TV screens, so I think it going to be really hugely popular amongst AFOLs. 

21 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Yes, there are technically two command module representations.  One of the photos has the rocket on its side with the stages.  In the foreground, the Lunar lander and splashdown command module are visible.  The one mounted on the rocket appears to be plain white with no printing while the splashdown one is grey with printing.  It makes sense considering that reentry can be very hard on paint.

That's not entirely the case, the Saturn V had a launch escape system incase the rocket beneath the command module during the initial staging began to fail. The tower above the command module housed a rocket and would launch off with the command module, this encapsulated the CM in a white cone housing. The LES was jettisoned once the Saturn V began to near orbit and thus the aluminium casing of the CM would be exposed.

saturn_v_04.jpg

Edited by canuckster

19 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Not only your country, I bet :wink: 

The landing on the Moon was an event the whole planet followed on the TV screens, so I think it going to be really hugely popular amongst AFOLs. 

Sorry. I didn't mean it that way.

Another thought based on your comment... I wonder how many people who were kids during the atomic era (50s-60s) will be into this set. I know they are 60-70 now, but a lot of them used to collect space toys as kids...

Just noticed that the Command Module & the protective cover with LES system are actually separate independent pieces.

So that means that you would have to remove the LES part and then put the CM part in place if you're recreating the Apollo XI Mission in LEGO form!

How strange.

8 hours ago, thorin said:

Sorry. I didn't mean it that way.

Another thought based on your comment... I wonder how many people who were kids during the atomic era (50s-60s) will be into this set. I know they are 60-70 now, but a lot of them used to collect space toys as kids...

Oh, thats alright. No offense taken :classic:

I think chances are pretty good. Its an event in a scale hardly comparable to what we see today. It was broadcasted late at night in Europe and still it had a massive audience, so yeah: I can see a lot of older people buying them for their "grandchildren", or at least buy a couple and keep one for themselves :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

Oh, thats alright. No offense taken :classic:

I think chances are pretty good. Its an event in a scale hardly comparable to what we see today. It was broadcasted late at night in Europe and still it had a massive audience, so yeah: I can see a lot of older people buying them for their "grandchildren", or at least buy a couple and keep one for themselves :laugh:

I can remember being allowed to stay up and watch the moon landing but couldn't see what all the fuss was about (I was young :classic:), remember the Apollo 13 incident a lot more, anyhow, all the grandchildren will be getting a copy of this and granny will be more than happy to help them assemble it. :wink:

6 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

I can remember being allowed to stay up and watch the moon landing but couldn't see what all the fuss was about (I was young :classic:), remember the Apollo 13 incident a lot more, anyhow, all the grandchildren will be getting a copy of this and granny will be more than happy to help them assemble it. :wink:

Happy grandchildren! :laugh:

Mark Stafford took pictures of the Inside Lego Tour and posted them on twitter. Among other things there is a M-Tron Saturn V.C-_TS_tWsAAfGFE.jpg:large

9 minutes ago, Sinthoras said:

Mark Stafford took pictures of the Inside Lego Tour and posted them on twitter. Among other things there is a M-Tron Saturn V.

Not sure which one I prefer :laugh:

6 hours ago, Sinthoras said:

Mark Stafford took pictures of the Inside Lego Tour and posted them on twitter. Among other things there is a M-Tron Saturn V. ++SNIP++

makes me want to upgrade my rocket to a bigger scale. Thanks Mark Stafford for the idea!

45 minutes ago, unclejeffie said:

How tall would the saturn v be with regular minifigures?

Assuming it were scaled up proportionately to the difference between the nanofigures and regular minifigures, it would be a fair bit over two meters tall, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of eight or nine feet.

5 hours ago, unclejeffie said:

How tall would the saturn v be with regular minifigures?

With a tad bit of stretch it should be 3.5 meters tall

Is that printed tile 1 x 2 trans clear tile with the USA flag printed on it not an illegal attachment to the base plate?  I thought Lego said jamming a brick between the studs was considered illegal in their "best practice" manual that circulated the web a few years ago?  or maybe that was only illegal if it was a plate with studs used in this way, maybe a tile is excluded.

Thinking back to the original red Lego technic tractor 851 from the late 70's and the right hand wheel arch, also used a plate in this manner.  

15 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

Is that printed tile 1 x 2 trans clear tile with the USA flag printed on it not an illegal attachment to the base plate?  I thought Lego said jamming a brick between the studs was considered illegal in their "best practice" manual that circulated the web a few years ago?  or maybe that was only illegal if it was a plate with studs used in this way, maybe a tile is excluded.

Thinking back to the original red Lego technic tractor 851 from the late 70's and the right hand wheel arch, also used a plate in this manner.  

Like plates being wedged into clips (which is allowed on the newer, stronger clips), it's about putting unnecessary strain on the parts and the stability of the build. 

This is a single stud wide plate between only 2 studs, so there is no strain on the parts. Additionally, it is not a structurally important aspect of the set, and unlikely to be a part to be knocked off frequently through playing. As a result, it clearly got through into the final set. 

Edited by nikhkin

12 hours ago, nikhkin said:

Additionally, it is not a structurally important aspect of the set, and unlikely to be a part to be knocked off frequently through playing.

Depends on how realistic your Apollo missions get :laugh:  On Apollo 11 they planted the flag too close to the Eagle, so when it took off the engine exhaust blew the flag over...

It is only "illegal" (:hmpf_bad:) when inserting a studded plate between studs. The reason why is because the height of a stud is slightly more than that from the distance from the edge of a part to the base of the stud, so the edge of the inserted plate will never be completely flush with the brick you're inserting it to. This is true of both hollow studs and raised studs, and puts undue stress is caused to the studs going sidewards, unless you accept somewhat of a permanent lean in the plate. This, however, isn't stable and so TLG doesn't rely on it.

With a tile, the stud collision isn't an issue, and the tile can be fully inserted. Again, it isn't a particularly stable or strong connection, which is why we haven't really seen it until working at this scale, with such a small decorative piece.

Lego used this technique extensively in the USS Constellation set 398 back in 1978. All the canons on deck are connected with a jumper plate wedged between studs.

16 minutes ago, Sinthoras said:

Lego used this technique extensively in the USS Constellation set 398 back in 1978. All the canons on deck are connected with a jumper plate wedged between studs.

I think there's an old town set that's a little yellow truck that uses the tile wedging technique as well. I think. A Brickstorian will probably either know which set I'm thinking of or come along and tell me I'm an idiot and give me at least six good reasons why I'm an idiot.

Edited by Actor Builder

On 5/5/2017 at 9:49 AM, Sinthoras said:

Mark Stafford took pictures of the Inside Lego Tour and posted them on twitter. Among other things there is a M-Tron Saturn V.C-_TS_tWsAAfGFE.jpg:large

Aaaahhhhh. That takes me back. I miss my M-Tron sets. Anyway... I would to get my hands on this version!!

On 5/5/2017 at 11:19 PM, Sinthoras said:

Clever reverse-engineering?!:laugh:

I have to say, I'm impressed by the box itself... almost 50cm tall, 40cm large, weighting 2.6kg... Can't wait to open it and review the set :sweet:

2 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

I have to say, I'm impressed by the box itself... almost 50cm tall, 40cm large, weighting 2.6kg... Can't wait to open it and review the set :sweet:

And we can‘t wait to read it. It will make the wait less hard .

On 5/5/2017 at 9:04 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

Not sure which one I prefer :laugh:

MTRON!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Mtron!!!