Blondie-Wan

21306: The Beatles Yellow Submarine (LEGO Ideas)

The details on these figures are fantastic, all the unusual and unique colors really fits with the original cartoon's style. I like the subtle yellow line on the pants, it's a nice detail that I'm glad wasn't missed.

I think a lot of afols who are not familiar with the beatles are not going to like it. Probably too weird and simple designs. I really dig them and am really curious to see the submarine.

Maybe this is because they're cartoonish on purpose, but the designs feel a little too simple and 2D for me. They don't seem to hold up next to today's designs. Alas, I'll likely be getting them anyways because they'll more likely than not be the only official representation of the Beatles in Lego form ever.

Those figures are exactly as I'd hope a Yellow Submarine figure set to look like. I imagine if they did a 60s cartoon set they'd look odd to some also.

Definite day one purchase for me.

Have people actually watched the Yellow Submarine? If they'd produced figures which were the normal human design style like that of SuperHeroes or Star Wars they wouldn't work at all for the subject matter.

Have people actually watched the Yellow Submarine? If they'd produced figures which were the normal human design style like that of SuperHeroes or Star Wars they wouldn't work at all for the subject matter.

I've watched yellow submarine, and the figures are perfect for the fluid, almost boneless movements of the characters. If you look at some of the scenes with the Blue Meanies, they just don't move like they would in the real world. It's just the animation style of the era and movie. I mean, how are you supposed to draw the human form and still fit 8 normal humans in a thin player piano like in the movie's "Hey Bulldog" sequence, and yet still have room for the player piano parts? I think reality went out the window at the at the opening of the film with the submarine floating around Liverpool in the air as if it were water!

One of the worst figures they made in the last years. Where is all the detail? Especially the headpieces...

These do look pretty accurate to the drawings, but they look bad cause.. the art style to me honestly isn't that great, but that's how it was back then. They're only replicating those styles.

Comparison image from Reddit.

Looks like they do have printing on the sides of the legs

MMMjMpJ.png

Edited by CM4Sci

...and if anyone needs further proof these are true to the film, here's the original artwork from the soundtrack box:

29770893845_1ef125185b_z.jpg

You will also see the Blue Meanies / dreadful flying glove / apple bonkers / snapping turks, and such. And yes, those were the villains of the film, which I recommend you see before placing blame on the figures as they are accurate to the source material as per the 1968 film.

Edited by Murdoch17

Do you think we'll get those Blue Meanie things in the set? THey look cool and could use the Bumblebee Girl cap.

It's a wonder LEGO are releasing a set based on something the Beatles clearly envisioned when they were high on LSD in the first place really! :laugh:

Actually the Beatles had very little to do with this movie besides the songs and an end credits scene. Actors voiced them other than singing, and they really didn't help with the production.

But that's a tad off-topic....

Actually the Beatles had very little to do with this movie besides the songs and an end credits scene. Actors voiced them other than singing, and they really didn't help with the production.

But that's a tad off-topic....

Okay, that's probably why LEGO don't have a problem with producing this set then!

A little off topic, but I remember a few years ago K'nex made a Yellow Submarine Set that also included Blue Meanies. Lets hope that we get Blue Meanies and possibly Jeremy in the official Lego version and Lego making a better version, as the K'nex one does not look as good.

YESSSS, SABINE HAIR IN BLACK :drool:

Not a fan of the hair piece, but happy to see it in another color. I also don't think it looks right for George.

A little off topic, but I remember a few years ago K'nex made a Yellow Submarine Set that also included Blue Meanies. Lets hope that we get Blue Meanies and possibly Jeremy in the official Lego version and Lego making a better version, as the K'nex one does not look as good.

A Blue Meanie would be nice. I'd prefer a Jeremy. I was really hoping to see Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band from the movie, which was also done by K'Nex:

0213_ys1.jpg

Lego versions of these guys would be awesome.