whitswj

New Bricklink Format

I too am having trouble, I login and go to my wanted list which is fine, but on the old site, I then clicked "by shop" and it showed which shops had the largest amount of the parts I needed. This must be standard functionality on the new site, but I'm not seeing the button to click?

Any ideas?

Paul

I too am having trouble, I login and go to my wanted list which is fine, but on the old site, I then clicked "by shop" and it showed which shops had the largest amount of the parts I needed. This must be standard functionality on the new site, but I'm not seeing the button to click?

Any ideas?

Paul

Go to the wanted list you want to search, click the checkbox at the heading (each item has a checkbox, clicking the heading one will select them all), then click Quick Shop button on the top right. That gives the info like the old "By Shop" link.

It took me few minutes to understand how the new dedign works and it is beautiful! :-)

I played around with it this afternoon, and I have to agree. I really liked the simplicity of taking a want list, saying "buy", and then getting a list of shops that had my parts. I could then search by either Fewest Stores or Cheapest Price.

I haven't played with it in depth yet; I'll try to do that tonight, as I've got a bunch of parts from a PaB wall that I need to sort and remove from some Want Lists. I'll see how well it works for that.

I'm fairly happy with Wanted List managing, it's very responsive and easy to modify items. However, I've noticed two things, and filed a bug report for these:

1. If I add "Have" quantity to some items in Wanted List, the new Wanted List Buying dialog will correctly mark these as fulfilled (or partially fulfiled). However, if I check wanted list in a particular store via in-store tab, the items which I have marked as fulfilled still show up. This is a major problem with big Wanted Lists and larger specific quantities of parts where you just can't remember every change you've made.

2. When using new Wanted List Buying dialog, and clicking a store to view lots in the pop-up window, the average price percentage indicators are great. However, they are calculated badly. Via some back-of-the-napkin math I've discovered that, regardless of item condition they sum 6 month average of new AND used items and then calculate price percentage off that value. Obviously this is misleading and leads to skewed percentages. For me, these markers right now are virtually useless.

It is taking a little while to get used to it, but there are lots of nice new features. I am also finding wanted lists are working well now, sort of doing what you expect them to do whereas I used to have lots of trouble buying all the parts before. The minimum cost doesn't seem to be working correctly but if that is fixed it will be great.

The Gods seem to have favored some people in the transition, and they weren't too affected by it. Life goes on, uninterrupted. But for many, many others, it was as if someone came into their home and turned everything upside down - they are legitimate people with legitimate concerns, whose livelihood and sanity depends upon the BrickLink market, and they have a right to feel frustrated, angry, and resentful of the disarray they are experiencing, and of which they had no voice whatsoever.

But the saddest thing here - is to see the BrickLink Community, and thus a large, large percentage of the LEGO AFOL community, at odds. There are some very mean, ignorant, and unsympathetic things being said in those forums between these two populations...

Its dark, dark days for the LEGO community. Everything is far from awesome right now.

But the saddest thing here - is to see the BrickLink Community, and thus a large, large percentage of the LEGO AFOL community, at odds. There are some very mean, ignorant, and unsympathetic things being said in those forums between these two populations...

Its dark, dark days for the LEGO community. Everything is far from awesome right now.

Yes, I really hope the dust settles soon. I've been tracking threads on multiple webpages (Reddit, Eurobricks, Facebook, Bricklink) and it's interesting how different the opinions are. Reddit threads seems majorly positive, while BL forums are a bashfest right now...

Phew.

I just checked it out. My impression is that the new design will definitely need some getting used to, figuring out how it works etc. But the same went for the old design. It did have some major quirks that you just stopped noticing as soon as you had it all figured out.

From what I've seen, the greatest changes affect the Wanted List and the overall buying process. Not an area that you should suddenly change completely...

Right now, I'm quite happy that I ordered all the pieces for my new modular building just 2 weeks ago :wink:

My sales dropped off the day of the switch and like some others I was worried that something had broken. But then some new orders came in yesterday and everything seems to be OK.

Many of the problems people are reporting seem to be isolated and probably browser-specific. The site was built on some pretty creaky HTML, which, while it was very outdated, did have the benefit of working (mostly) on a wide variety of browsers. There are still some very vocal members at BL who apparently think the site should have been tested on every one of the half-million users' particular OS/browser combo before going live, but that's just bluster.

I did discover and report one bug where the bottom of search result pages were getting cut off. It seems to have been fixed within 24 hours.

Does anyone know a way to search all item descriptions in the new BL?

The old "search items for sale" page is still there, they just moved it - Click the SHOP icon at the top of the page, then the STORES link from the menu bar. That will slide things around and show you a new set of links. One of them is "Search Item" - that's the old search that lets you include comments in the search.

Here's the direct link: http://www.bricklink.com/searchAdvanced.asp

I can foresee a lot of griping about being featured on the homepage. It has already started. I think most sellers probably missed this new help topic: http://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=2443&q=featured

The four "featured" stores on the homepage are unique to each visitor and they change every day. They are chosen automatically based partly on the location of the visitor, partly on how much business the store does, and partly on customer service stats.

I also foresee a lot of griping about the wanted lists supposedly favoring larger stores. I think some sellers may be missing the point of the new feature that allows buyers to find the store with the largest number of parts on their wanted lists. Of course it's going to favor stores with larger inventories because that is what buyers want - to get as many parts as they can in as few orders as possible.

In short, the new Bricklink has (finally!) started to focus on the buyer and has begun to loosen the grip sellers have had over the site design and functionality. So many sellers are resistant to being held accountable for good customer service. It's great that the site got where it is today as a "hobbyist" site, but the amateur approach to selling bricks is not going to sustain it into the future.

I also foresee a lot of griping about the wanted lists supposedly favoring larger stores. I think some sellers may be missing the point of the new feature that allows buyers to find the store with the largest number of parts on their wanted lists. Of course it's going to favor stores with larger inventories because that is what buyers want - to get as many parts as they can in as few orders as possible.

Offsetting the large store effect is the feature that shows you how much above or below the average BL price a certain lot is. Buyers who see that the single store option is going to be 400%+ above average may be persuaded to look at more, cheaper stores. As you say, though more information for the buyer gives them more power to get the best deal.

Overall, I'm impressed with the new wanted list features, aside from a few hiccups with some odd currency conversions.

I'm not terribly excited about many of the visual changes myself, as I can live without bells & whistles and was quite happy with the basic but functional and efficient layout previously.

However, I like some of the new functionality such as the .lxf file import and Brickficiency-like auto-shop option - if/when they work properly! I haven't fully tested them yet, but I'm seeing feedback that indicates the latter isn't quite 100% yet. I'll give 'em time to iron out the bugs and probably hold off on too many orders (certainly large/complex ones) until some of this dust settles...

FYI they've brought back the classic wanted list functionality on the main wanted list pages again, so you can once again see your items and all the stores selling them to do a good price comparison there, although the store pages are using the new wanted list code. Look for the "Classic" button on the menu bar for the Want page, it opens up the previous menu options (my favourite option "by shop" is back, yay!). That's a positive and responsive action to support long-term customers. +5 points to Slytherin for that. :wink:

Offsetting the large store effect is the feature that shows you how much above or below the average BL price a certain lot is. Buyers who see that the single store option is going to be 400%+ above average may be persuaded to look at more, cheaper stores. As you say, though more information for the buyer gives them more power to get the best deal.

Overall, I'm impressed with the new wanted list features, aside from a few hiccups with some odd currency conversions.

Ah! Is that what that percentage is about? I couldn't figure out what that number meant.

I see I can now upload an .ldr file directly to a parts list. Is that new with this update? I certainly hadn't seen that before.

I dont like the new Bricklink at all. Most of the functions I use are made much harder to use and everything takes much longer time.

But one thing is completly catastrophical and makes it almost impossible to shop:

When visiting a shop, I select one of my Wanted lists. Then, I want to see only how many bricks of each kind I need JUST FOR THE SELECETD WANTED LIST. I dont want to se ”Total wanted qty”.

If I need Blue brick 2x2, 10 pieces for my Wanted list X, I dont want to have to click on ”View all” and look how many I need for Wanted list X. I have already selected Wanted list X, and dont want to see how many Blue brick 2x2 I need for Wanted list Y, Z or U!

Go to the wanted list you want to search, click the checkbox at the heading (each item has a checkbox, clicking the heading one will select them all), then click Quick Shop button on the top right. That gives the info like the old "By Shop" link.

OK, this wanted list is still driving me bonkers. So I have 98 items in my wanted list, and it only shows 25 per page. In order to search by shop, I click the check box at the top of the page, which selects the first 25 items, but when I click onto page 2, to select all the items on the wanted list from page 2 as well, it does not keep the items on page 1 selected. There appears to be no button which says select all items on my wanted list before going to quick shop?

Thanks

Paul

I don't understand the most efficient way to use this new version.

However, I didn't ever understand the most efficient way to use the old version either.

I never ordered anything from Bricklink because I had such a hard time figuring out what the best prices would be.

OK, this wanted list is still driving me bonkers. So I have 98 items in my wanted list, and it only shows 25 per page. In order to search by shop, I click the check box at the top of the page, which selects the first 25 items, but when I click onto page 2, to select all the items on the wanted list from page 2 as well, it does not keep the items on page 1 selected. There appears to be no button which says select all items on my wanted list before going to quick shop?

Thanks

Paul

That sounds like badly coded issue, the checkbox should be expected to select everything not just the first page. My lists are smaller so that's why it worked out for me I guess. Sounds like a real issue they need to fix over there. Sorry i couldn't help out.

There appears to still be stuff hidden under the covers. I like downloading my orders, so I keep a record of every part i've purchased. I can no longer find the 'download' link from the orders page but you can find it here if you are also after it

https://www.bricklink.com/orderExcel.asp

I put Bricklink through a pretty good trial today. It was a pain at first, trying to figure out how to adapt my previous workflow, but, by about half way through, I got the hang of it, and I was pretty happy in the end.

I had items from two different Want Lists in play, and used those to search Cheapest Stores. Found the 98 items I wanted across five stores. I easily check out each store for feedback, eliminated one store, grabbed a different store from the "other stores" list (that had my item), and then was able to quickly place my orders. So quick that some of my order numbers were either sequential or just two digits higher.

The work came in sorting my orders and my Want Lists. My usual workflow is to "move" an item from the Want List it is on, to a second Want List with the name of the shop. This way, I can see what I've ordered when an order has come in, and verify that all my pieces are there (yes, I also check the invoiced order too).

The "Have" option is nice, because it gave me a real look at how close I was to having ordered all my parts. In the end, I placed 5 orders in less than 2 minutes, and after sorting through my orders, everything from my Want Lists was successfully ordered.

I just decided to force my way through it today, and was pretty happy that I did. We'll see how it goes once the orders roll in, but I'm pretty confident that all is good.