Sign in to follow this  

I just posted about this in the Porsche MODs and improvements thread, but I think this might be worth sharing with everybody.

In an attempt to further improve the definite character of the selecter axle in the Porsche gearbox I found a very easy way to limit an axle to 90° positions. I think this video tells the whole story (don't bother the bevel gears if you're not interested in the Porsche gearbox). (Actually I don't really know what the name is of this kind of mechanism. :wink: )

Without the bevel gears this is all there is to it:

800x450.jpg

LXF-file here.

Edited by Didumos69

Thats a pretty cool thing :)

Nice! I might use this in one of my upcoming MOCs!

Didumos, great small thing. Cute as your micro tractor and really useful)

Thanks! I hope it's useful!

Very nifty & compact indeed. Don't be surprised if something like this shows up in my DB11... :thumbup:

I had this idea already, but when I read your response to Lipko today about 'a second limiter in the back of the car' it reminded me to really start checking if this would work I would be honoured if anything like this would show up in the DB11! :classic:

Edited by Didumos69

Nice and compact, very well done. How strong does the limiter have to be? Would there be any advantage to using shock absorbers to apply more pressure? I'm guessing at some point the force required to shift gears starts playing a role.

Nice and compact, very well done. How strong does the limiter have to be? Would there be any advantage to using shock absorbers to apply more pressure? I'm guessing at some point the force required to shift gears starts playing a role.

Thanks! I also tried with a red silicon band wrapped around the indexer twice and then you really need to apply a lot of torque to make it switch. If you would use an unangled shockabsorber I'm affraid it will behave as a lock and not toggle at all.

Edited by Didumos69

On 9-6-2016 at 0:16 PM, aeh5040 said:

That's a detent mechanism, and a very nice compact one!

Thanks!

I made an LXF-file. Without the bevel gears this is all there is to it:

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

what a nice little invention. This is very simple and it does its job very well. Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

This is a lot like the design Charbel used on his 919. Thanks for applying it to 42056. 

I noticed that too. I hope he got the inspiration for his limiter from this idea :wink:. Actually, Charbels 919 shifting mechanism appears to be a combination of this 90 degree limiter and piterx' shift drum.

Edited by Didumos69

You are totally right, I used your 90° limiter and NLF77 shifting system ( actually, the shifting mechanism was created by NLF77 on Techlug almost 4 years ago, piterx improved it )

4 hours ago, Charbel said:

You are totally right, I used your 90° limiter and NLF77 shifting system ( actually, the shifting mechanism was created by NLF77 on Techlug almost 4 years ago, piterx improved it )

Haha, great, thanks for letting us/me know!

On 12-10-2016 at 6:35 PM, Charbel said:

`He must be the same NLF as the one behind these brilliant paddle shifters:

On 2016/10/13 at 0:35 AM, Charbel said:

Another great example of community inspiration and improvement , then combination of inspiration and improvement leads to  a new solution for future application.  

Credit  goes to those who dedicate  and share .:thumbup: 

Edited by rocklego

34 minutes ago, rocklego said:

Another great example of community inspiration and improvement , then combination of inspiration and improvement leads to  a new solution for future application.  

Credit  goes to those who dedicate  and share .:thumbup: 

Nicely put and I totally agree:thumbup: