Attika

Tribute Model 8880 Evo (Building Instructions added)

Looking really good! Not using flex axles makes this build breathe the 90s. Love it!

Edited by Didumos69

Wow, well done. This is really an awesome tribute to 8880. Congratulations on re-making the original shape and functions and even include new features. Greatest thing for me is the adjustable ride height. The mechanism is so easy, but brilliant.

As others said, I like the original color scheme best and I think the forms and angles, though slightly changed at times, are easily recognizable. The first pic I saw, I was a little sceptic, but the video got me turned around completely.

I'd really like to build this one for myself.

The only point I have to criticize is the scale. For a tribute, I would have thought it to be the same scale, but it's a little smaller. If this were scaled up to the original, it would be perfect all around.

I'm glad that video has made you convinced. About the scale: It is a surprising point of view. I always tought that doing it in smaller size is a chalange to pack all those functions. Actually from this state making it biger isn't that much work as all those things fits in the small, surely would fit in a scaled up version. But that isn't going to happen soon, as here I am with a porsche that has a miserable chassis. The first task is to bulild one from the scratch. :-)

Looking really good! Not using flex axles makes this build breathe the 90s. Love it!

Cheers, I didn't want to change on the main concept of how it looks, that's why I used beams. BTW your idea from yesterday, that 90 degree thingy...That is just great. Made me think that the next version of this model is going to have a sequential gearbox. Perhaps with paddles. Will be a big job in this scale, but worth it I guess. I'll try to pay attention on the right sequence.... :grin:

"So it is more compact than original 8880, have same functions as original model, plus additional ones (adjustable ride height, opening doors and bonnet), studless, not orange, and took 3 years 2 months to finish."

To TLG:

You have something to learn here :sadnew:

Love it!

This taking technic cars back (somewhat) to their roots. I'd HoF this for the clean design, functions and the unmistakeable tribute to an all time classic

Thank you guys, I'm glad you like it, as it is some sort of an introduction for me here... :sweet:

Love it!

This taking technic cars back (somewhat) to their roots. I'd HoF this for the clean design, functions and the unmistakeable tribute to an all time classic ������

Cheers mate, however help me out please. What is that HoF? These are the moments when I realise I am aging. :laugh:

Really like how you adapted the original design. I think there is a lot of value in rebuilding old classics in studless beams.

I'm interested to find out what wheel covers did you use for the version with the white body and red chassis? I saw that you hand painted them. I'm just wondering if they are purchased or made by yourself.

Wheel cover, and other heretic things:

Beware! Explicit content :devil:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141631433@N07/albums

Awesome rework. Number of functions is blowing my mind)

And still there is some free room under the hood. This paddle shifter just itching my fantasy :wink: It is called evo for a reason anyway...

HoF is Hall of Fame ������

Wow, that is an honor... Even to mention. Ta

Cheers mate, however help me out please. What is that HoF? These are the moments when I realise I am aging. :laugh:

Wheel cover, and other heretic things:

Beware! Explicit content :devil:

https://www.flickr.c...1433@N07/albums

And still there is some free room under the hood. This paddle shifter just itching my fantasy :wink: It is called evo for a reason anyway...

If you manage to squeeze any kind of sequential gearbox in there... Well, LEGO will be only selling parts from now on... :laugh:

Wow, what a great car. I like compact small builds with lots of functions. What a clever gearbox and good other functions. This would be an instant buy instead of the instant pass on the Porsche this year. Any hope for instructions?

Wow, what a great car. I like compact small builds with lots of functions. What a clever gearbox and good other functions. This would be an instant buy instead of the instant pass on the Porsche this year. Any hope for instructions?

There is. I mean hope. :grin: Those pics I made to help me rebuild wouldn't be useful at all. But there is an urge to make it right. I'll be on it. Please give me some time. :classic:

Thank you for the nice words too. :sweet:

Edited by Attika

Hello fellow Technic fans, let me present to you my tribute model to the well known, iconic set 8880

Thank you....for joining Eurobricks!

This is a seriously cool tribute. I especially like this angle :thumbup:

dsc_0035.jpg

Sorry for raising of this old topic. I spent some time to build this amazing replica of a legendary 8880 in LDD, but it took much long then I expected. I'm still a newbie in a reverse engineering and my attempts to reproduce it and make some changes to avoid of an illegal connections were very long and maybe incorrect at all. I'm close to give up with it and would like to share my results that may by useful for you.

So, the file is here: http://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/8880/8880 - Tribute Model 8880 Evo by Attika (MOD).lxf
- Green (mostly for lift arms) - I caught the detail type but didn't get the exact size of it, so this piece is a kind of a placeholder and length should be adjusted.
-
Pink (mostly for axles) - it's a part of the skeleton that I added for a better parts alignment and should be removed or replaced by some other construction.

Here is a short summary of a current progress:

1. Gearbox - completed in full (I followed the instruction, posted by Attika)
  2. Chassis - completed partly with a following things that remains unfinished:
    -
    Rear suspension - need to add shock absorbers and mount it to the adjustable ride height assembly (two pink axles)
    - Front suspension - need to mount shock absorbers to the wishbones
    - Steering - need to mount links to the when hubs (I used new 11949c01) and re-arrange the axle between a steering wheel and the first bevel gears joint
  3. Fake engine - no, sorry, but I's a very last step, I suppose.
  4. Interior - more or less finished.
  5. Hull - the main frame is finished with significant changes that I made in order to avoid of liftarms or axles bending
    - Doors - no...
    - Trunk / bonnet - width should be adjusted somewhere
    - Front / Tail end - lamps and some possible re-arrangement may by required

Hope that it could help somebody (I haven't necessary details so far to build it in a real life that could help with some questions) and possible someone can continue it.

Edited by Void_S
Minor typos

@Attika: Amazing job done here!! Hats off. I own 8880 as well, wanted it when I was a child, bought it more than a year ago. :) Anyway, your new version is simply amazing! Would you be willing to share parts list / instructions? Thank you.

Awesome Model!
Rebuild it (with power funktions) as my own personal 40-anniversary-model.Thanks to Attika and Void_S!

27036967627_6db5ccefbc_c.jpg by IRONDUCK, auf Flickr

41006368425_d6e82ffe07_c.jpg

41906019771_57ed2641bb_c.jpg

Edited by IRONDUCK

On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 4:25 PM, IRONDUCK said:

Awesome Model!
Rebuild it (with power funktions) as my own personal 40-anniversary-model.Thanks to Attika and Void_S!

Thank you too! I'm glad to see another "physical" appearance (and will add your changes to the LDD file, if you don't mind),and so glad to see how you managed to motorize it. To bad that ride height adjustment remained manual, but the car isn't big to fit it, as I can see.

Update: thanks to IRONDUCK's changes (he managed to correct some illegal connections better that were my attempts), I bring some changes to the LDD file. It's still in progress and has only manual option (no RC so far), but let me share it: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Void_s/8880

Update 2: the LDD model is more ore less ready. It was a real pain to adjust the transmission connections (those universal joints...), but now I'd say that just a few things remains unfinished.

800x533.jpg

Edited by Void_S
Updated the LDD model

I like updated versions of this model. Great job. Super execution. I spent like 6 months back 23 years ago making "my" version of the 8880. In 2 weeks when I go back to Ohio to visit, I am going to unearth it from my east coast Technic collection (my brother has all my Technic Lego from 1977 to about 2008) and see if it still works.  Here is a list of my modifications... I only lost one original function which was HOG steering but I did lengthen the wheelbase 4 studs because I always felt the original was stubby:

electric proportional power steering

electric power convertible roof

fake brake pedal and working break lights

opening doors with internal and external latch

pneumatic adjustable ride height

fiber optic ignition timed to v8 (simple firing order)

electric adjustable rear spoiler controlled by dashboard switch.

i will post a topic and pics later this month.

On 2018. 05. 05. at 2:25 PM, IRONDUCK said:

Awesome Model!

Nice work there @IRONDUCK. You and @Void_S made a fantastic job. Thanks guys. Shame on me I was busy/lazy to make proper instructions. Speaking of illegal connections I know it is a headacke when it comes to digitalizing a model, but I'm a well known outlaw  :devil:  and I don't build digitaly. In fact latelly I don't build much at all.

Hereby I grab the opportunity to say thank you to @Jim for placing this build to the HoF. Also kudos to @Didumos69 for pushing this HoF thingy.

Sorry for being away so long (and it's not even over yet), one day I'll catch up with myself and -as a famous robot once said- I'll be back.

Keep building guys!

@Bublehead I'm looking forward to see your version...