Attika

Tribute Model 8880 Evo (Building Instructions added)

On 3/11/2017 at 5:28 PM, Void_S said:

Sorry for raising of this old topic. I spent some time to build this amazing replica of a legendary 8880 in LDD, but it took much long then I expected. I'm still a newbie in a reverse engineering and my attempts to reproduce it and make some changes to avoid of an illegal connections were very long and maybe incorrect at all. I'm close to give up with it and would like to share my results that may by useful for you.

So, the file is here: http://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/8880/8880 - Tribute Model 8880 Evo by Attika (MOD).lxf
- Green (mostly for lift arms) - I caught the detail type but didn't get the exact size of it, so this piece is a kind of a placeholder and length should be adjusted.
-
Pink (mostly for axles) - it's a part of the skeleton that I added for a better parts alignment and should be removed or replaced by some other construction.

Here is a short summary of a current progress:

1. Gearbox - completed in full (I followed the instruction, posted by Attika)
  2. Chassis - completed partly with a following things that remains unfinished:
    -
    Rear suspension - need to add shock absorbers and mount it to the adjustable ride height assembly (two pink axles)
    - Front suspension - need to mount shock absorbers to the wishbones
    - Steering - need to mount links to the when hubs (I used new 11949c01) and re-arrange the axle between a steering wheel and the first bevel gears joint
  3. Fake engine - no, sorry, but I's a very last step, I suppose.
  4. Interior - more or less finished.
  5. Hull - the main frame is finished with significant changes that I made in order to avoid of liftarms or axles bending
    - Doors - no...
    - Trunk / bonnet - width should be adjusted somewhere
    - Front / Tail end - lamps and some possible re-arrangement may by required

Hope that it could help somebody (I haven't necessary details so far to build it in a real life that could help with some questions) and possible someone can continue it.

I've been admiring this Attika "Tribute 8880" for a long time. Wanting to build it. But just not able. This LDD file is the icing on the cake!! Thank you Void_S! I will be making building instructions.

This has been on my to do list for a while now. I have started to work on it. Void_s did a great job putting together this digital file! I hope I can figure out how Attika did it. Maybe, he will help me with it. There is much in the chassis that is not visible from the pictures.

Edited by 1963maniac
update

8 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

I've been admiring this Attika "Tribute 8880" for a long time. Wanting to build it. But just not able. This LDD file is the icing on the cake!! Thank you Void_S! I will be making building instructions.

You're welcome! I just did my best to turn amazing Attika's model into the LDD, plus bring some changes made by IRONDUCK, so now the link refers to the more ore less finished model :sweet:

1 hour ago, musicmu said:

Is there any chance of instructions for this model coming soon?

I am anxiously waiting~!!!

Hi, I'm glad for your interest and don't give up waiting for the instructions, however I wouldn't go so far to define "soon". Lately I'm a bit busy and that is combined with the mess of moving house right now. But I'll try my best to make an instruction before the first snow hits us this year. There is an lxf file above somewhere made by fellow brickers, that's slightly different from my original model as some connections couldn't be done on the digital designer. Long story short: I'll do it, but right now all my legos are in boxes. Sorry for keeping you waiting. 

Edited by Attika

On 8/16/2018 at 5:19 PM, 1963maniac said:

There is both an LDD and an LDRAW file  here  https://bricksafe.com/pages/1963maniac These are both Attika's. The LDR was converted by "Stud.io". I don't know how to bend the soft axles. So, you''l have to imagine then bent properly.

I am now learning to bend dynamic parts. Attika, Could you supply pictures of the 8880 EVO chassis? I'm working with VOID_S' file but, I would like the result to be exactly like you created it (if possible). I have admired this MOC for a long time. You packed a lot of features into it.

OK folks here is the bill of materials, with 1605 parts. The tires are 68.8 X 36 (not properly marked by LPUB3D).

Attikas%208880%20EVO%20Tribute%20-N3_pagAttikas%208880%20EVO%20Tribute%20-N3_pag

Edited by 1963maniac
BOM correction

We are doing the last touches, but I don't wanna make empty promises. It is like a pregnancy at the last stage. Maybe 2 hours, maybe 2 days. (or 4) :classic:

My original design contains some "illegal" connections as it was discussed earlier in the topic. I've been taking advantage of the flexibility of ABS here and there, but well below the level of causing permanent damage in any part. Recreating this phenomena in digital enviroment is a heck of a challenge that requires a lot of work from @1963maniac. She is doing a great job. We are brainstorming a lot down to the smalest details to achieve the best possible result in terms of a building instruction. 

So guys: Ready, steady.... :sweet:

I saw the video on youtube, and i am astonished. :wub:

Especially because the 8880 was the last Set i bought before my "Dark Ages" came until i came back to Lego-Technic in this year. There were >20 Years i missed, and "Technic" evolved a lot in that time. In my sight there is "old technic" like the 8880 which is made of technic-bricks and other bricks with classical studs, and there is "new technic" which mainly is made of studless parts like liftarms, panels, and some undescribable speical parts.

Your "Tribute Model" is the perfect link between both eras. Your "8880 Evo" can´t deny its heritage, you see this model and clearly recognize the ancestor, but it is made with the new parts. And the best thing about it: There are a a bunch of functions. We are all complaining that new technic-sets lack of functions, and your model has all one can dream of.

If Lego would have created something like this, that would have been a worthy set for the 40th Technic-Anniversary. A reminiscence to the old days, the legendary 8880 in a modern way, evolved on a new level. They didn´t, but you did. So i salute you. Great work! :thumbup:

Steinbeisserheld, Thanks for your comments and very eloquent I might add. Those are the reasons I took on this project to make the building instructions. Attika was kind enough to assist me and he has given the critical help I needed to do it. We have been at it for about 1 1/2 months.  It's been a challenge at times but rewarding. It's very close now. 

I feel the need to inform you guys that Helge Mhyre (remember him?) is posting your model on Facebook LUG pages, claiming the IP as his own. 

Do as you wish with this info.

6 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I feel the need to inform you guys that Helge Mhyre (remember him?) is posting your model on Facebook LUG pages, claiming the IP as his own. 

Do as you wish with this info.

Yep, hard to forget a troublemaker like him. Thank you, I'll look after the problem. :sceptic:

I have gathered all the parts for this awesome model from Tribute Model 8880 Evo by Attika (MOD).lxf a long time ago.

I have been waiting for the instructions to be built.

But seems like a number of parts are different in the parts list that has been recently listed.

Do I have to gather a bunch of more pieces that differs from the lxf version?

Edited by musicmu

1 minute ago, musicmu said:

I have gathered all the parts for this awesome model from Tribute Model 8880 Evo by Attika (MOD).lxf a long time ago.

I have been waiting for the instructions to be built.

But seems like a number of parts are different in the parts list that has been recently listed.

Do I have to gather a bunch of more pieces that differs from the lxf version?

Yep, the partlist what was posted recently is the final. BI coming this evening. :sweet:

Here is the link for the building instructions:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Attika77/8880-evo-tribute-model/Attika_s_8880_EV_Tribute_by_1963maniac.pdf

This is a studless version of Lego set 8880 featuring: 4 speed transmission, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel suspension, HOG steering, V6 engine, differential lock, gull wing doors with latches, front and back height adjustment, opening trunk and hood with unique hinge system.

Also on Rebrickable:  https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-20224/1963maniac/attikas-8880-evo-tribute/

Edited by 1963maniac
url change

Downloaded, check!

Great to see instructions for this epic build! The model deserves to be immortal. It must have been time-consuming, thanks @1963maniac and @Attika for the effort you have put into this.

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

Downloaded, check!

Great to see instructions for this epic build! The model deserves to be immortal. It must have been time-consuming, thanks @1963maniac and @Attika for the effort you have put into this.

You first build it, then praise it. You are a perfectionist, don't forget that. :laugh: In fact I'm shaking in advance from what you will say. :grin::grin::grin: I'm glad @1963maniac took this challenge. It really is a proper BI as it should be.

Wow, those instructions look brilliant.  You've kept the old tradition of putting more than one part on a page  :classic:

And you've shared them for free.  That's incredible.

Thank you.

Thanks a lot - this is a real supercar as in the good old days of lego where form follows function and not vice versa ;-)

BI looks very good.... can't wait building it - kudos to all participants