Sign in to follow this  
THERIZE

Delaware & Hudson ALCO PA

Hi guys. I built this ALCO PA and I thought, why wouldn't I show it here.

Background information

The ALCO PA's are A1A-A1A locomotives built to haul passenger trains by ALCO and GE.

Sadly, from the nearly 300 PA's built only 7 still exist today. The PA has gone on to achieve a legendary fame in railfan circles. Because of it's tendency to belch heavy, black smoke, the PA has even been declared to be an "honorary steam locomotive". Even the late, noted train artist Howard Fogg, a big steam aficionado, once called the PA "a nice looking locomotive". What else needs to be said?

My own model

Last year I built a 6 studs wide ALCO PA that I didn't really like because it was small and didn't have much detail. A few weeks ago I also built an 8 studs wide steam locomotive which led to me wanting to built a diesel locomotive in that same scale ( even though the PA is a bit to large) and seeing as I already built a PA before, why not make a new one?

26897555863_bda4475f2e_b.jpgALCO PA #5 by RIZING!, on Flickr

I think she looks fine. At least an improvement if you see my older models...

Almost everything is done now. I just have to know if the drivetrain works and how I can built the bogies because I've never done any brick built bogies.

26897684793_c92a965b60_b.jpgALCO PA #6 by RIZING!, on Flickr

As you can see, the bogies are geared 1:1 with a large motor. But does a drivetrain like this work? The motors are static in the shell and the bogies are loose under it.

27229035230_d4b2d5320c_b.jpgALCO PA #7 by RIZING!, on Flickr

So, the L motor in the locomotive doesn't move at all while the bogies are turning when it goes around corners. So I really need to know if that isn't a problem. Also, can jumper plates keep an L motor in place?

26896436094_34721c795a_b.jpgALCO PA #8 or so by RIZING!, on Flickr

And yeah, I need to make better bogies

27406778972_73746b2bc6_b.jpgALCO PA # 9? by RIZING!, on Flickr

But really, I've never built bogies for a train so I definitely need help there.

27471342726_f207da10b6_b.jpgALCO PA #10 by RIZING!, on Flickr

And here a quick comparison picture of the old model (in front) and the new one (in back)

Bye

Edited by THERIZE

I think you have a good start on this locomotive, but some parts of seem like they could be improved. I think the you could add one brick between each of the drive wheels on the bogies (elongating it by 2 studs in total). I think mounting the L motors vertically makes the locomotive too tall, so I would opt for the m motor (or XL motor), even though it has less torque. Another option would be to mount the L motor horizontally, but this would leave very little space for a battery box. For the bogies, I would also use the 4x4 turntable part with the 4x4 circular plate if possible. If the bogie is too long for curves you could use part 48496 for a sliding middle axle. In terms of aesthetics, I think you've done quite a nice job, although the front nose does look one stud too long. Overall, I think this has the potential to be a great moc!

For scaling:

r22513.jpg

An interesting model. In my opinion, your locomotive on 6 width closer to the classic Lego incarnation than the width of 8.

If we stick to the size and proportions of a real locomotive, then these three-axle trucks must completely fit the standard Lego motorized trolley locomotive with a width of 8.

A general forms very similar happened.

Almost everything is done now. I just have to know if the drivetrain works and how I can built the bogies because I've never done any brick built bogies.

26897684793_c92a965b60_b.jpg

I suspect this design will have a lot of friction going around curves -- you'll need to articulate it somehow (or have the center axle slide). I was going to suggest looking at Railbricks #6 for an example of a 3-axle bogie, but the entire site seems to be gone. You could also try some variation of the design I posted in this thread.

I think you have a good start on this locomotive, but some parts of seem like they could be improved. I think the you could add one brick between each of the drive wheels on the bogies (elongating it by 2 studs in total). I think mounting the L motors vertically makes the locomotive too tall, so I would opt for the m motor (or XL motor), even though it has less torque. Another option would be to mount the L motor horizontally, but this would leave very little space for a battery box. For the bogies, I would also use the 4x4 turntable part with the 4x4 circular plate if possible. If the bogie is too long for curves you could use part 48496 for a sliding middle axle. In terms of aesthetics, I think you've done quite a nice job, although the front nose does look one stud too long. Overall, I think this has the potential to be a great moc!

I might try a sliding axle but I'm not really sure how I should build it. At the moment I think I will just make the bogies larger on the front and rear so scaling is better. The 4x4 turntable does indeed seem better.

I suspect this design will have a lot of friction going around curves -- you'll need to articulate it somehow (or have the center axle slide). I was going to suggest looking at Railbricks #6 for an example of a 3-axle bogie, but the entire site seems to be gone. You could also try some variation of the design I posted in this thread.

actually there isn't really a friction problem. I already built bogies with the same arrangements and while it isn't smooth it at least works.

27567165945_465561bfb0_b.jpgALCO PA #14 by RIZING!, on FlickrCOPA by RIZING!, on Flickr

Woohoo she has bogies! (also lowered the body 2 plates)

27463311632_23c9168ca0_b.jpgALCO PA #13 by RIZING!, on Flickr

And I changed the large motor to the extra large motor (which is shorter than the large motor :wacko: )

27290578810_63bff47860_b.jpgALCO PA #15 by RIZING!, on Flickr

And I made a quick change for the front.

Edited by THERIZE

27389703450_049887eb2e_b.jpg

And here is one passenger car!

27632961416_ec0d7a9397_b.jpg

Edited by THERIZE

THERIZE,

These are excellent models that you have designed. Lots of attention to detail. Given the limitations you have been able to achieve very good results. Easily recognizable rendition of a former railroad. Now the real question is... will there be a trail of black smoke?

I have one question though and that concerns the roof of the passenger cars. Is it really that flat on top? I went looking for examples and was unable to find any good pictures.

3D LEGO

THERIZE,

I have one question though and that concerns the roof of the passenger cars. Is it really that flat on top? I went looking for examples and was unable to find any good pictures.

3D LEGO

the roofs are not really that flat but if I change it to the 2x2 curves on the PA I have problems with the fact that they share the same roof design, which looking at pictures, is way different. But maybe cheese slopes and 2x2 slopes can do the trick.

THERIZE,

Thanks for the clarification. You do what works for you. From what you shared, the second design you posted required some rework in order to make it work out but I think it was worth the effort. By the way, nice angle. It just needs all the rest of the things missing in the view to make it complete.

3D LEGO

The new roofs indeed required some rework but I think it definitely does the trick when looking at the cars.