Sign in to follow this  
Captain Pirate Man

Video Review- Eldorado Fortress

At work so won't be able to watch this till later.

However I can see from the pic that the base is the wrong colour?

Yes, you are correct. I bought it through Brick link and the seller was open about this change. I actually address it in the video. Truth be told, I would have prefered the correct baseblate, or at least the one that came in rock island refuge. But I got a pretty good deal on it, so I went with it anyways. Everything else about it was absolutely in fantastic condition. Even some of the minifigs were "tight" when moving their arms and legs, like they were new. I payed $150 for it, which is on the cheap side, especially given its condition. Usually finding this set for around $150 means the baseplate is cracked or it has some other flaw. Which yes, mine does technically have a flaw as well, but at least it's a substitution as opposed to something being actually wrong with it.

Who knows, someday I might scoop up the proper baseplate. If I ever decide to sell it that is. Which probably won't happen, lol.

Honestly the biggest thing that bothers me about having the wrong baseplate is that you don't see water around the edges. I actually corrected this by putting the smaller blue baseplate that came with Rock Island Refuge in front of it, and put small 1x blue plates around the edges, just so it looks like water all the way around it.

As for the blue baseplate that goes with Rock island, I put the larger 32x32 one with that set. Because that one needs one as well, lol. The fact that Eldorado doesn't come with one, is a bit of a let down, and one of the things that makes Rock Island superior imo.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

Just saw the Vedio. Congrats on having this Antique set!

But, man!!! You should replace this baseplate as soon as you find one. Just looks soo odd...

Btw, i saw that the set has some parts and elements which is not from same Era...but looks ok...

Very nice condition i can see from the review and enjoy it.

Well, i have a Like new condition baseplate for sale in my BL store. If you ever feel you want to buy let me know...:-)

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

great review as usually! it is a shame about the baseplate thoughpirate_sing.gif

Great review.

This is the first Pirate set I got as a kid so I love it.

Have got 3 now (1 boxed, 2 unboxed) plus an extra baseplate.

With the crane string I usually wind it around one of the bricks above the prison cell to shorten it.

Watched and liked the video. The baseplate hurts my eyes, but it was nice to get a glimpse back on one of my favorite old time pirate sets. I need to pick it up from BrickLink (already go the Black Seas Barracuda to go with it).