Sign in to follow this  
marbleman

Oriental express coaches

Hello guys, this is my favorite MOC, It's not made according any prototype entirly, it mixed different ages' "Oriental express" coaches. Here is some reference

00-1.jpg

00.jpg

General View of coaches

01.jpg

02.jpg

Details of appereance

03.jpg

04.jpg

The doors can be opened

05.jpg

06.jpg

Logo of "Oriental Express"

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I designed the interior as luxurious as possible. of course, it came from my imagination, because I never have chance have journey by Oriental express.

I made two cars, the first one is Living Car.It devided into two balcony.13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

The second one is Sleeping Car. It also have two rooms. The Minifig in 79111 is fit for the atmosphere.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Link with my QJ engine

30.jpg

May be the coaches style isn't match the QJ, because I'm not familiar with european engine. Perhaps somebody can give me some advice about the engine. Thank you for visiting.

Beautiful! The fish in the logo were the first thing to catch my eye. But there is so much there to enjoy. The multipart windows with inside curtains are top notch and the extensive detailing is over the top. Excellent work!

These passenger cars are very well crafted. The level of detail on the interior is exquisite. I like how you used the individual rooms as small vignettes, each with there own little story. Well done! I also like the color combination you chose, as well as the oval windows. (Thanks for the detail shot of those.) Good looking models.

Stunning! So much great detail like the paintings!

Nice coaches. And the logo is brilliant. I also like those coloured rounded windows. Very nicely done. As well as the rest of the detailing.

Nice coaches you've got there Marbleman! Kudos for putting in a detailed interior. Nice bookshelves. :thumbup:

May be the coaches style isn't match the QJ, because I'm not familiar with european engine. Perhaps somebody can give me some advice about the engine. Thank you for visiting.

Your engine lacks the traditional buffers usually found at European equipment. Besides, with the many axles with smaller wheels this type of engine was more commonly found on heavy freight trains rather than express trains like the Orient Express, a locomotive with large-diameter drive wheels would be better suited.

That being said: one locomotive type used was the CSD 555.0, former German Baureihe 52. These locomotives were designed as freight locomotives with an axle arrangement 1'E (or 2-10-0 for you yanks :) ), in fact, they were built as Kriegslokomotiven (war locomotives), with simplicity in mind.

The Orient Express often switched engines at every border, so there was no standard type used. But some locomotive classes were known for pulling the Orient Express.

In the German-spoken Wikipedia article there's some information about which locomotives were often used.

Beautiful QJ you built there! :thumbup:

Edited by Rijkjavik

Wow fantastic wagons: the effigies with fishes on the side, the windows with SNOT panels and red curtains are wonderful!

I like also the paintings hanging inside and those sweet doors! :wub:

marbleman,

Beautiful creation. I dub it the Pearl of the Orient (Or whatever you want to call it.) Its a wonderful blending of older wood body wagons and newer, first generation metal ones. Plus the yellow glass panes only add to it. The contrasting color of the red-accented QJ to the royal blue striped tan coaches goes very well together. If you wanted it more uniform, then I suppose you could swap out the royal blue for red. (Though if you did something like that I would re-dub it the Iron Dragon of the Orient.) And your window construction is spot on.

3D LEGO

Edited by 3D LEGO

What a stunning passenger carriage! I love how you haven't neglected the interior of the carriage. Though I feel the bogies could use a bit more detailing since it's in 8-wide.

Nice coaches you've got there Marbleman! Kudos for putting in a detailed interior. Nice bookshelves. :thumbup:

Your engine lacks the traditional buffers usually found at European equipment. Besides, with the many axles with smaller wheels this type of engine was more commonly found on heavy freight trains rather than express trains like the Orient Express, a locomotive with large-diameter drive wheels would be better suited.

That being said: one locomotive type used was the CSD 555.0, former German Baureihe 52. These locomotives were designed as freight locomotives with an axle arrangement 1'E (or 2-10-0 for you yanks :) ), in fact, they were built as Kriegslokomotiven (war locomotives), with simplicity in mind.

The Orient Express often switched engines at every border, so there was no standard type used. But some locomotive classes were known for pulling the Orient Express.

In the German-spoken Wikipedia article there's some information about which locomotives were often used.

Beautiful QJ you built there! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your advice, and I learned a lot from it. All Chinese steam engine designed both for freight and express, so I don't know the different between them. More question, could your please show me a picture or a link about "traditional buffers usually found at European" ?

marbleman,

Beautiful creation. I dub it the Pearl of the Orient (Or whatever you want to call it.) Its a wonderful blending of older wood body wagons and newer, first generation metal ones. Plus the yellow glass panes only add to it. The contrasting color of the red-accented SJ to the royal blue striped tan coaches goes very well together. If you wanted it more uniform, then I suppose you could swap out the royal blue for red. (Though if you did something like that I would re-dub it the Iron Dragon of the Orient.) And your window construction is spot on.

3D LEGO

I accept the title "Pearl of the Orient" with great honor :blush: . In fact, I was hesitated between blue and red for a long time. Until I take a Vote at a Chinese Lego Forum, most people like the blue version. Here is the your "Iron Dragon of the Orient"

112151jllp6ypbqhz0c71h.jpg

Thank you very much for your advice, and I learned a lot from it. All Chinese steam engine designed both for freight and express, so I don't know the different between them. More question, could your please show me a picture or a link about "traditional buffers usually found at European" ?

Freight locomotives had to be able to pull heavy trains, while passenger locomotives needed to be fast. That's why freight locomotives were often equipped with smaller drive wheels but more axles, while passenger locomotives often had very large drive wheels but usually no more than 3 or 4 driven axles.

As for the buffers: this is what I mean. You can use the standard buffer beam for this (like you did with the coaches) but there are many brick-built examples as well, including those where the coupling/magnet turns with the trucks while the buffers stay in place with the structure, just like in H0 models.

Edited by Rijkjavik

Rijkjavik,

In most instances where heavy tonnage is involved they have long abandoned the buffer and chain coupling. For one it is severely limited on tonnage rating. Two it is actually quite dangerous. (The introduction of the Janney or knuckle coupler, IE the AAR coupler, made great strides in drastically reducing railway fatalities in North America. Before they used link and pin.) China uses the AAR coupler as its average train tonnage is much higher than in Europe. Heavy tonnage in Europe uses the Wilson/SA-3 or AK69e and its successor C-AKv, couplers. (LKAB Malmbanan and Ofotbanan ore lines - though they trialed the AAR coupler for a time as well, and DB Cargo (Formerly DB Schenker) coal and iron ore trains.)

marbleman,

I am glad you like it. The red version looks just as good as the blue one. Though as you have seen from your poll, more people may be familiar with the dark blue of the Orient Express. The former Trans Europ Express trains which traversed Europe had a tan and red paint scheme but they may not be as well known. (Deutsche Bahn, one of the participants in the T.E.E. had a few other variations on this theme: tan with dark blue, tan with teal and a third... tan with yellow or orange. And of course there is the legendary tan with purple of the Henschel-Wegmann express train.) Sadly, most paint schemes got kicked to the curb once the stainless steel carbodies became common in the United states. They are slowly making a comeback but with more... I am not sure what the best way to describe it as other than stylistic as they are not modernist, designs.

All that aside you have done a really good job with melding the features of two different styles into your own design. It is a fun, rewarding process, the like I have been doing a lot of lately in my sketchbook.

3D LEGO

Rijkjavik

Thanks again for more information, that is useful for me.

3D LEGO

I think you are not only a train funs, but also a professional train engineer,thank you for your explaining about the coupler.

marbleman,

Avid life-long train fan, yes but actual engineer, sadly no. I do spend a fair amount of time learning about various things. My train searches have taken me all across the globe from the rack-railway locomotives of Brazil to the Bo'Bo'Bo' electrics of New Zealand, through the land of the narrow gauge Garratt locomotives and across Russia via the broad gauge network. One area I have become acquainted with more recently is China. But I keep searching and blending ideas in my sketches.

3D LEGO

How are the doors held together? Having mucked about with doors made of 2 arches myself, I have no idea how you've pulled that off!

How are the doors held together? Having mucked about with doors made of 2 arches myself, I have no idea how you've pulled that off!

1.jpg