TheJiral

[MOC] Science models

UPDTATE:

14 nucleotides long desoxiribonucleic acid (DNA) double helix model ... in LEGO only of course.

It reads: 5'-GATTACA GATTACA-3' -> for reference see here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/gattaca/34884/gattaca-looking-back-at-andrew-niccol-s-sf-masterpiece

(G...green, C...red, A...blue, T...yellow)

dnalegorealimage1oau4gczi7.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

I am not sure where this could fit in, my best guess is here in the special LEGO Themes forum:

So far it only exists in LDD. I am thinking about turning the first two of the three models into real lego though.

Science models

The theme here are Science related models, more precisely I had Molecular Biology in mind. My first model shows a DNA double helix, the other two represent the most basic tools used in a laboratory: a reagent tube and a pipette. Obviously they are not in the same scale, but not only the DNA is larger than in reality but also the tube and the pipette are slightly bigger (maybe 50-100% larger than the original).

I tried to keep the DNA model as compact as possible while staying schematically correct, including realizing the typical "major groove" and minor groove" , ie the two different distances between the helices, which are so important for the typical look of DNA (grey balls: deoxyribose units, bright orange balls: phosphate group, green: guanine (G), blue: adenine (A), yellow: thymine (T), red: cytosine). It is a bit hard to read but the DNA codes GATTACA GATTACA ... Those who catch the reference can keep it ;)

dna-v4ckeyrs74x0g.jpg

Edited by TheJiral

I really like the DNA helix. It would be interesting to see that in real Legos. It'd make a great desk model. What did you use for the balls? I'm not sure I'd have recognized the other two. :( Though it brings up fond memories of my days in the lab denaturing DNA.

I really like the DNA helix. It would be interesting to see that in real Legos. It'd make a great desk model. What did you use for the balls? I'm not sure I'd have recognized the other two.

Agree and have the same question.

That DNA helix is indeed very nice. The balls are "voodoo balls" I believe, they're used in constraction (BIONICLE and the like).

Thanks for the nice feedack.

Yes, these are voodoo balls (or "Technic ball joints", 32474), put on shafts and sticks with holders. Interestingly the bright yellow version seems to be found mostly in Friends sets, while the light stone grey version can be found in some Star Wars models among others.

When I find the time, muse and finances to build the DNA model I will definitely put it here.

The other two models were inspired by a plastic 1.5 ml reaction tube and an old school Gilson pipette but I think they'll just remain virtual models.

Edited by TheJiral

As promised, I got to build the DNA model. I have to admit it was a tight thing to build. The 3 stud wide shafts were almost too short as the voodoo balls grip them only relatively late inwards. But it did work out, and it also stays together as long as one isn't touching it too much at the balls. Regarding the looks, I am fully satisfied.

dnalegorealimage1oau4gczi7.jpg

Edited by TheJiral

To look at, maybe (I hope its correct enough), to touch it, rather not. It is perfectly stable on my shelf but if not handled carefully things can fall off.

Thanks Brickjagger and legolegolegolego for the kind feedback.

Looks very good. I like the fact that this DNA model is very compact. Do you happen to have the Studio files for me to import?

Regards