Norton74

[MOC] Volkswagen T1 Esso Service | “canvas” pick-up

Put a tiger in your tank!* - Part 1

This VW Type 2 T1 “canvas” pick-up is the LEGO replica of a real T1 registered in 1956 in The Netherlands.

It was used by the M.v. Noord, a little company based in Amstelveen (close to Amsterdam) that sold and delivered petroleum for domestic heating.

Pieter Grabijn, son in law of the son of the first owner, found it in a barn few years ago. It was totally rusty.

Peter restored the red pick entirely and now the machine looks really appealing.

27047625331_89a6ff25c2_z.jpg

Below the T1 pictured at the circuit of Zandvoort (NL).

26510584164_7818c76f3f_z.jpg

This LEGO T1 is based on my previous Road Service T1 but with a different livery.

Canvas stitching technique is the same I've used before but this T1 has both the right side and the back side of the canvas rolled up.

The tarpaulin is also a little bit lower. Ready to be delivered petroleum jerry cans are located on the load compartment. The license plate is an old Dutch one: PV 88 17.

The writing on the load compartment sides means "Esso petroleum for your domestic heating" (It's written in Dutch).

26512181283_34a69ce85d_z.jpg

Few days ago I posted the T1 on my Facebook page and when the owner saw the post he couldn't believe, he was incredibly happy for this LEGO replica.

He showed the T1 to his father in law (the son of the first owner) who cried for the happiness and for the good old memories the T1 reminded him.

He still lives in the same address you can see on the doors and even the phone number is the same...This is really incredible!

*If you were born in the seventies, then you remember the famous slogan of the Tiger...

Edited by Norton74

You really captured the essence of this truck. It's a beautiful model. The stickers make it outstanding. :thumbup:

Wow! just WOW! That is an amazing replica, and not a stud in sight, too bad we don't have like buttons, :sceptic: so I'll give you this. :thumbup:

Again a fantastic T1 from your hands Norton74 :thumbup::wub::thumbup: .

Also the compleet story behind it makes it even better.

Did you now that the designer of the T1 is also a dutchmen (Ben Pon).

What a smooth looking, realistic model! Well done, from distance you cannot even tell its Lego.

You really captured the essence of this truck. It's a beautiful model. The stickers make it outstanding. :thumbup:

Thanks Buster, the real T1 Esso Service is really appealing!

Wow! just WOW! That is an amazing replica, and not a stud in sight, too bad we don't have like buttons, :sceptic: so I'll give you this. :thumbup:

Many thanks for your feedback :thumbup:

Again a fantastic T1 from your hands Norton74 :thumbup::wub::thumbup: .

Also the compleet story behind it makes it even better.

Did you now that the designer of the T1 is also a dutchmen (Ben Pon).

Hi Edwin, thanks for your kind words, very apprecciated :classic: Yes I know the story of Ben Pon and the famous sketch of the Type 1, really a great story!

Lovely cute car with lovely shapes... :)

Max

Thanks Max, glad you like it :wink:

This is another amazing build, I really love this!

Thanks Ingmar, very appreciated your kind words, and it's Dutch... :sweet:

What a smooth looking, realistic model! Well done, from distance you cannot even tell its Lego.

Thanks ZbLj, when I built a scale model using LEGO bricks I look for this effect...

Oh dear, the resemblance is beyond words!!

:sweet: :sweet: :sweet: