Looking for another GBC to build I downloaded the excellent instructions by Paul Verbeek for building his GBC # 5.

This was built as per instructions but as I only had one 40T gear I had to use for the 1st stage reduction a 36/12T gear combination, giving an overall gear reduction of 15:1 instead of 25:1.

Many of my studded parts are quite old & worn. When the contraption was run the increased cycle rate caused it to fall apart !!

Decided to build a stud-less version and eliminate the double gear reduction which was replaced by a simple 24:1 worm gear unit directly driving the crank arm. Instead of using the ball loading device shown in the instructions I used the same ball loading gate as used on my GBC #1 - Bucket Wheel Lift.

Getting the trip lever geometry right took a lot of attempts to perfect !

Ball return run is only temporary until I build a 4th module (vertical lift ?) and link them all together.

The only non lego part is the 56L x 28L base plate by Play BLOX from Wilco at £3.50 - approx 1/4 equivelant lego price.

See video which is best with sound Off.

[m.e.d.i.a.]

[/m.e.d.i.a.]

Doug

Edited by Doug72

HI, this is one great module! I really like the mechanism. Seems like the motor is suffering quite a bit. Is there a worm gear? Perhaps it would be better to use normal gears instead of a worm gear. In my experience worm gears tend to produce a lot of friction along the driving axle and my motors were overheating quite a lot. After replacing the worm gear with standard gear reduction, the strain on motor was reduced a lot.

Seems like the motor is suffering quite a bit. I

The mechanism framework and moving parts is a copy of PV's design using only studless beams giving a firmer structure.

Yes reduction is by a worm driving a 24T gear. Only runs for short periods but agree for long run times a double reduction would be better.

Have now got two 40T gears so can be easily changed as per PV's design so might change it back.

Worm drives ideal in tight spaces but plenty of room on a GBC normally.

It's very hypnotic to watch.

The white beads subsituting for Lego Balls can bounce a lot hence the various guards to stop them escaping.

Edited by Doug72

Seems like the motor is suffering quite a bit.

Now replaced the 24:1 worm reduction gearing with plain 40T and 8T gears giving a 25:1 reduction.

Now runs much smoother and quieter.

This is very nice!

Just like what I am hunting for... A self contained GBC module.

Where can I find the instructions for this one?

Anybody recommend any other self contained (and not too large) GBC modules.

Thanks,

Andy D

This is very nice!

Just like what I am hunting for... A self contained GBC module.

Where can I find the instructions for this one?

Anybody recommend any other self contained (and not too large) GBC modules.

Thanks,

Andy D

Thanks for the comment.

Check out this website - http://pv-productions.com

and look at Lego Creations page.

I brought and downloaded the instructions from this website,which show a GBC built using bricks and studded beams with studless beams for the complex linkage.

Various other GBC module instructions are also available.

I substitued studless beams for the brick tower structure making it much stronger.

See other posting of my self contained Bucket Wheel Lift & Incline trolley lift modules on one base plate.

http://www.eurobrick...1

Sorry there are no instructions as I use build design principle and no idea how to use LDD.

The 56L x 28L base plates are ideal for self contained GMB modules.

Eventually the two base plates will be combined and modules linked into one circut on a 56L x 56L base.

Edited by Doug72

Wow! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, I am afraid to get involved in GBC, for I fear it is going to be obsessive and expensive. Too late, I'm already planning, there goes the budget!

Thanks,

Andy D

Andy,

Only expense so far are some extra M motors, rest built from various studded parts I have lying around unsused and from broken down lego models.

I enjoy the challenge of getting a GBC to work and devising new solutions to problems.

Building these at the moment until the BWE set is released.

Doug