Sir Brickalot

2016: A Disappointing Year?

41180-1.jpg?2016052011197097-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

I will most likely buy the elven castle, especially for my two girls. But look at those castles and compare them ... The problem is most importantly the color. I mean, they made pink stone elements (!) in the elven castle. If they had let them grey ... *cry*

The stones are really more purple than pink in my opinion, though I realize that for some people that's not a really meaningful distinction. I like the decision since like the pink and purple foliage and colorful crystals, it contributes to the magical, otherworldly feeling of the setting (plus helps offset the heavy use of grey and black for the castle itself). But if you wanted to swap the stone out for some shade of grey or brown I can't imagine it would be all that difficult or expensive, since grey and brown slopes, panels, basic bricks, and mountain bricks are ridiculously common and usually inexpensive compared to lavender ones. If you do end up getting it for your daughters, I hope you are pleasantly surprised by how much it has to offer!

I understand the appeal of more muted and traditional LEGO Castle designs, and to be honest I hope the next time LEGO Castle comes around, some of the innovations in the LEGO Elves and Nexo Knights themes begin to filter into the traditional Castle sets as well. By that I'm chiefly referring to spaces for more peaceful activities like eating, sleeping, and studying. It's still bewildering to me that no non-licensed LEGO Castle set has included a banquet hall, which to me has always stood out as one of the iconic elements of medieval life. Both Jestro's Volcano Lair and Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle show that "creature comforts" don't have to come at the expense of action play (heck, the Volcano Lair is arguably MORE action-packed than most traditional LEGO castles, almost to the point of ridiculousness), so I see no reason why the Castle theme couldn't make room for them in addition to the standard throne room, dungeon, and treasury. To me, a castle should feel like a home, not just a stronghold.

If buildings are what you're after, have you taken a look at the Elves theme? The buildings in that theme are obviously more fantasy-inspired than strictly historical, but even so, I think they have a lot to offer. The Starlight Inn has beautiful rustic architecture, and Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle is perhaps the single best LEGO castle I've ever seen, in terms of feeling livable without sacrificing the usual castle features like a throne room, traps, and a dungeon. It also has a really dark and evil look that no LEGO Castle set its size in the past several years has really offered… the last $100 "evil castle" before it was Trolls' Mountain Fortress way back in 2009.

I have to both agree and disagree. Due to the lack of a proper castle theme I had a look at the elves theme and actually bought the starlight inn, twice because I got a good price and thought I could sell the dragons and mini dolls (still got one doll left).

The sets are actually quite good and could have made a fantastic castle theme, if it wasnt for the dolls and colora used. The starlight inn had definitely amazing parts, but it also came with parts I am not sure I will ever use.

Should I ever find an interestung elves set on sale I will probably buy it, but its not really what I want!

As of now I decided only to buy sets if the figs are interesting to me a d rather invest my money into brick cups and parts orders and of course cmfs.

I am relatively new to lego and when I look at the great sets of the past its quite disappointing that lego has apparently put those kind of sets on hold. What is more disappointing, there doesbt seem to be any kind of historic theme coming out next year.

Edited by Andrzej777

I've been away for quite some time, and am going to admit I haven't read all the replies (although I've read a good number of them).

For me the issue is cost (I know, I know, the usual whine). I think the D2C sets have been absolutely spectacular.... the problem is I can't afford any of them. I can't afford the Bat Cave, I can't afford the Ghostbusters HQ, I can't afford the Disney Castle. The prices have gone crazy over the past few years with the introduction of these enormous, and extremely expensive, sets. I realize we've had UCS before, but I think it started around the time of the Hellcarrier... these are "regular" sets, not just for "ultimate collectors."

I've sadly done an about-face with LEGO this year, now selling off the bulk (but not entirety) of my collection, and NOT buying anything that expensive, ever.

Most big D2C sets from 2016 have been real great.

The Ghostbusters Firehouse, Disney Castle, Beetle, etc.

Although, thanks to Assault on Hoth and the "new" Death Star, 2016 sure as hell is the most disappointing year concerning Star Wars, imo.

thanks to Assault on Hoth and the "new" Death Star, 2016 sure as hell is the most disappointing year concerning Star Wars, imo.

Agreed. Both are disappointing.

It has been for me personally, I have not purchased one set from this year, I bought sets from last year this year. I was looking forward to the Winter Village train, I was disappointed. I was looking forward to the Death Star, looks like I'll be skipping that. The only set I might purchase will be a Rogue one set. That means no Licenced, Historic, Town or Train sets this year. :hmpf_bad:

Well, it all depends what you like. Because for Technic, Marvel, Disney and Creator fans it was a great year. Not to mention Ghostbusters which came as a total surprise... For me personally, Elves also is a strong theme and I'm now very close to buying Ragana's Castle.

Star Wars fans, well... you've had enough great sets in last 17 years. You are all too spoiled :tongue: