Sign in to follow this  
februar88

[MOC] Armageddon Armadillo vehicle

Hello everyone!

I'm glad to show you my Armageddon Armadillo vehicle. This MOC was designed for competition which was held in our LTR fan-group (https://vk.com/technic_club).

1464940818m_DISPLAY.jpg

18 years ago, when I was 10 I had been very impressed by Armageddon movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/), thats why i decided to build this MOC for competition.

Armadillo is a special mobile drillers designed to work in a space. I hope you watched this movie :)

14649408181_DISPLAY.jpg

14649408193_DISPLAY.jpg

The hardest and most interesting part to design was drilling mechanism. The main problem was to fit all parts in 3 studs wide.

14649408194_DISPLAY.jpg

I tried to discover new building techniques: half-stud structure and using part #6116604. I was really happy when I saw Madoca's modification of rm8's Toyota, because he used there the same idea.

Madoca is my favourite designer. Try to feel how it was cool to know, that I discovered something 2 weeks earlier than master Madoca!

14649408205_DISPLAY.jpg

Sorry for uncommon video-hosting. Unfortunately Youtube is so unfriendly to fan-art.

http://rutube.ru/video/private/3d9186e007702d0490861beaf17452f3/?p=EfMiPIEpi8XV3qtgPEPlag

Hope you like it, and thanks for attention.

P.s. possibly working youtube link

Edited by februar88

You've made a very nice model, very recogniseable. I really dig the extending functionality of the drill.

I'm just wondering; how well does the steering work? You've got 4 steered wheels, as opposed to 8 unsteered wheels. Doesn't seem like a lot.

You've made a very nice model, very recogniseable. I really dig the extending functionality of the drill.

I'm just wondering; how well does the steering work? You've got 4 steered wheels, as opposed to 8 unsteered wheels. Doesn't seem like a lot.

Thank you!

This vehicle has fake suspension, so the steering works rather good only on a flat surface. Also it has strong resistance because of external wheels, but it works as you see on a video.

It was really challenging to make it in such small scale. My main goal was to make it recognizable and to make working drilling mechanism with extension function. So yes, steering is not perfect, but i'm ok with it.

Edited by februar88

What's the problem with youtube? I mean, I'd like to watch the video but your link directs to page in russian which I have difficulties to understand plus it asks for some login or registration or something.

What's the problem with youtube? I mean, I'd like to watch the video but your link directs to page in russian which I have difficulties to understand plus it asks for some login or registration or something.

I guess i will have troubles with copyrights.

But ok, let's try

Edited by februar88

^ what should be the problem? Music? Something else connected to the movie? I doubt anyone will care. And there is nothing wrong on making and promoting a movie related creation which you don't plan to sell or comercialize ;)

EDIT: Oh I see, some movie clips. Well I'm no legale but judging from the gazzilions of videos on YT which feature some cuts from licensed movies (often even without listing the source properly), I think you should be alright :D Nice video, the drilling fuction is great. The sttering is a bit lazy as it relys on the slip of the outer wheels, Would be nice if the front and back wheels from both rows turned.

Edited by krisandkris12

^ what should be the problem? Music? Something else connected to the movie? I doubt anyone will care. And there is nothing wrong on making and promoting a movie related creation which you don't plan to sell or comercialize ;)

first of all music - original OST: Aerosmith - Don't want to miss a thing.

Anyway, now it's working and I hope youtube won't ban it.

Very nice model, looks close to the original.

Awesome videography :) and great look-alike to the real thing