Columbus019

Megablocks (sorry) Star Trek The Original Series!

Any one have a photo of a minifig in the captains chair or next to a MB figure, I want to know if I couldget away with not using the crap figures

And what exactly are these "crap figures" you speak of?

And what exactly are these "crap figures" you speak of?

Personal opionon but I think the megablock figures looks really creepy with those eyes

The price has been revealed now, since the set is available to pre-order from Amazon.com, and it's a hefty $250. So much for 160. Link for those interested: https://www.amazon.c...BxBL&ref=plSrch Some nice new publicity shots there. The model is enormous, 85cm long, but it still seems quite expensive to me, given that it's Mega Bloks and not Lego.

Also,some more bad news, I got in touch with Mega Bloks and they say there's no plan for a UK release of this model, which probably also means wider Europe won't be getting it either. Hopefully some independent retailers will be getting it because it'll be expensive to import.

Edited by Revelation_Space

The price has been revealed now, since the set is available to pre-order from Amazon.com, and it's a hefty $250. So much for 160. Link for those interested: https://www.amazon.c...BxBL&ref=plSrch Some nice new publicity shots there. The model is enormous, 85cm long, but it still seems quite expensive to me, given that it's Mega Bloks and not Lego.

Also,some more bad news, I got in touch with Mega Bloks and they say there's no plan for a UK release of this model, which probably also means wider Europe won't be getting it either. Hopefully some independent retailers will be getting it because it'll be expensive to import.

Please, we both know that if lego made this, they'd charge well over $250.

Please, we both know that if lego made this, they'd charge well over $250.

Quite possibly, and for a Lego version of this I'd happily pay that. Not so much for a Mega Bloks model. If the reviews are good then I'll be getting it either way. I didn't expect it to be $160 as predicted on the previous page, but I didn't think it'd be much more than 200.

Edited by Revelation_Space

Quite possibly, and for a Lego version of this I'd happily pay that. Not so much for a Mega Bloks model. If the reviews are good then I'll be getting it either way. I didn't expect it to be $160 as predicted on the previous page, but I didn't think it'd be much more than 200.

Yeah, cuz a LEGO version would totally be worth nearly $100 more.

#Sarcasm.

Edited by Jetrax99

It's too bad that LEGO couldn't pick up the license for such a pivotal milestone, Star Trek's 50th anniversary. They would have done a better job of it, these are not that good. Also, I dislike the figures and would love to see the characters as LEGO minifigures.

I wonder if there are contractual intricacies involving their Star Wars license that prevent them from also working with Star Trek.

It's too bad that LEGO couldn't pick up the license for such a pivotal milestone, Star Trek's 50th anniversary. They would have done a better job of it, these are not that good.

Why do people like you even come in here?

Why do you people insist that MB is inferior?

Guess what, it's not.

Take your brand loyalty and toss it.

MEGA BLOKS is the best company for this as they specifically target the collector market.

LEGO doesn't, and compared to all of MEGA's Signature Series sets, LEGO's UCS sets don't hold up.

I like LEGO, but at least I'm not blinded by brand loyalty like the majority of these forums.

It's people like you who make the LEGO community look unwelcoming to people like me who enjoy both LEGO and MB.

Edited by Jetrax99

Guess what, it's not.

MEGA BLOKS is the best company for this as they specifically target the collector market.

LEGO doesn't, and compared to all of MEGA's Signature Series sets, LEGO's UCS sets don't hold up.

I like LEGO, but at least I'm not blinded by brand loyalty like the majority of these forums.

It's people like you who make the LEGO community look unwelcoming to people like me who enjoy both LEGO and MB.

That got salty.

But agreed. It makes us look unwelcoming

Guess what, it's not.

I personally find the Mega Bloks sets to be poorer than LEGO overall. I don't like the figures at all.

There are things I do like. Sometimes they use unique colors you'd never find in LEGO. Sometimes, there are very interesting pieces. Also, they tend to get licenses that LEGO doesn't get.

Overall, I think the build quality of the sets can be poor. I think that is true of these Star Trek ship sets in particular, actually more so than other Mega Bloks sets. The interior set looks just fine, but I think the contrast between the studded and tiled sections of the ships makes them look unfinished. I just don't like them.

But to respond to your attitude, I'd say why do you even come here? Why do you insist that Mega Bloks is not inferior, because it actually is. That's not brand loyalty, that's a personal analysis of the products released by each company. I have purchased brick sets from companies other than LEGO, and I always find LEGO's product to be superior. LEGO's set design quality has been dropping lately, as well, but I still think they'd so a better job than Mega Bloks. If these ships are an example of their Signature Series, they are not better than UCS sets (Hoth excluded).

I'm not trying to be unwelcoming, and that last bit would not have been posted had it not been in response to the vitriol of your own post. I don't have a problem with Mega Bloks fans coming to a LEGO forum to share their opinions, but there's no need for the attitude. My previous post was simply stating my opinion, not trying to attack anyone else's.

While it's nice that you enjoy these sets, you have to somewhat expect people on a LEGO forum to prefer the LEGO brand, and to wish for these sets to have been made by LEGO. This is especially true of an intellectual property as popular and widespread as Star Trek, one that has yet to be tackled by LEGO. To expect otherwise, or to actively fight against it, is really just foolish.

I'm not trying to be unwelcoming, and that last bit would not have been posted had it not been in response to the vitriol of your own post. I don't have a problem with Mega Bloks fans coming to a LEGO forum to share their opinions, but there's no need for the attitude. My previous post was simply stating my opinion, not trying to attack anyone else's.

While it's nice that you enjoy these sets, you have to somewhat expect people on a LEGO forum to prefer the LEGO brand, and to wish for these sets to have been made by LEGO. This is especially true of an intellectual property as popular and widespread as Star Trek, one that has yet to be tackled by LEGO.

Yes and yes.

As an opinion I still hold Lego to be higher quality in set design and plastic quality. While that is my opinion; I will admit my opinion about Megablocks is becoming more open to them. I wouldn't mind getting the Star Trek bridge set to build for display, or even a few Halo sets. And I don't intend to criticize those who buy Megablocks, as I understand the appeal f many of their licenses. With that said my brand loyalty is still foremost to Lego. And with that I will also always speculate "what if Lego had the Halo or Star Trek license?"

And set quality; while a $20 Lego set and Megablocks set can often be 'on par' with each other; I have never seen Megablocks attempt anything as bold or classy as Lego's modular buildings, exclusive trains, high end Technic, or other expert level sets. While I admit quality has dropped in many of Lego's licensed themes; their in house high end sets hit home runs all the time. I'd take a Modular Building or a UCS Star Wars ship (note ship, not Hoth disappointmemt

I personally find the Mega Bloks sets to be poorer than LEGO overall. I don't like the figures at all.

There are things I do like. Sometimes they use unique colors you'd never find in LEGO. Sometimes, there are very interesting pieces. Also, they tend to get licenses that LEGO doesn't get.

Overall, I think the build quality of the sets can be poor. I think that is true of these Star Trek ship sets in particular, actually more so than other Mega Bloks sets. The interior set looks just fine, but I think the contrast between the studded and tiled sections of the ships makes them look unfinished. I just don't like them.

But to respond to your attitude, I'd say why do you even come here? Why do you insist that Mega Bloks is not inferior, because it actually is. That's not brand loyalty, that's a personal analysis of the products released by each company. I have purchased brick sets from companies other than LEGO, and I always find LEGO's product to be superior. LEGO's set design quality has been dropping lately, as well, but I still think they'd so a better job than Mega Bloks. If these ships are an example of their Signature Series, they are not better than UCS sets (Hoth excluded).

While it's nice that you enjoy these sets, you have to somewhat expect people on a LEGO forum to prefer the LEGO brand, and to wish for these sets to have been made by LEGO. This is especially true of an intellectual property as popular and widespread as Star Trek, one that has yet to be tackled by LEGO. To expect otherwise, or to actively fight against it, is really just foolish.

There wouldn't be any "attitude" if I didn't keep seeing people coming into a MB thread and saying "LEGO would of done it better" as well as the usual insults thrown at MB.

This is why MB fans avoid these forums.

In fact, over on the MB collector forums, I haven't seen anybody talk bad about LEGO.

Also, no, the Enterprise is not a good representative of the Signature Series sets, as this isn't compatible with the included figures, while all the rest are compatible.

And as for your statement about MB still being inferior, you're wrong.

I'm not saying they have superior quality, but they are on par with LEGO quality.

Fair enough. Again, my aim wasn't to disrespect Mega Bloks fans, or to discourage them from coming here. I was genuinely interested in the sets, and wanted to give my honest opinions.

So I checked with both Toys R Us and Smyths, the two main toy store chains here in the UK, and neither of them will be stocking the Enterprise set either. Unfortunately it seems like the only choice is going to be to import it.

Guess what, it's not.

Woah, guys, I wanted this to be a nice discussion about the TOS sets, i don't check it for all of three days and it becomes a huge LEGO vs Megabloks argument. There is probably already a topic for that. Also, the words " take your brand loyalty and toss it" are definatley hypocritical because you seem to have a megabloks brand loyalty if I ever saw one Jetrax99.

Columbus

Edited by Columbus019

So I checked with both Toys R Us and Smyths, the two main toy store chains here in the UK, and neither of them will be stocking the Enterprise set either. Unfortunately it seems like the only choice is going to be to import it.

Will the other smaller sets be stocked?

The 'Bird of Prey' always makes me think of that

... :blush:

Interesting models, love Star Trek, but it's MB... :sick:

The 'Bird of Prey' always makes me think of that

... :blush:

Interesting models, love Star Trek, but it's MB... :sick:

Didn't I just make several post about this?

Mega Bloks =/= bad quality. Please stop making that assumption.

Edited by Jetrax99

Didn't I just make several post about this?

Mega Bloks =/= bad quality. Please stop making that assumption.

Your opinion does not trump those of others. If -zenn doesn't want this because it's MegaBloks, that's his opinion and he's allowed to share it.

Jetrax99, could you please refrain from turning this topic into a heated, argumentative warzone. Please go and make your own topic for Megaboks vs LEGO arguments and just stay on topic.

Columbus

They also have a 'transporter room' set btw.

Trasnporter-room.jpg

Dang, now I wanna see the new Star Trek movie. :laugh:

Edited by -zenn

Funny. I was just logging in to ask for honest opinions about MB COD sets from people that love (and own) as many UCS sets as I do.

Anyways, the brick quality, unique small pieces and design quality of MB COD sets these past 2 rounds have blown by Lego and are not looking back. The complexity of even $50 sets has advanced to where most children would simply get frustrated and walk away, but is ridiculously satisfying for adults. They have started building using 90% tiny parts and the detail and stability is incredible as a result. Lego UCS has really gone backwards since the Helicarrier (Tie, Hoth) to the point I can no longer justify the Ep 7 tax. This makes me sad.

Thankfully MB has jumped into the adult market with both feet discarding stickers completely and keeping the ppb under the $.10 mark. Usually well under, especially since Amazon always has sales. If you have not built a MB set in the last year and you enjoy military models or Halo, I highly suggest you pick up a midrange set to see the difference for yourselves. The Harrier can be found for under $30 these days.

Do you guys think Lego will get back to selling beautiful and complex sets like Slave I and the Helicarrier or do you think we are stuck with playsets for the foreseeable future?

Edited by pcsguy88

I watched Jang's review of the big Enterprise, to see if it would be a good gift for my Trekkie sister... the saucer section looks kind of odd with the studs everywhere, and those figures look awful. :sick: Sorry, MB, I'll be happy to wait until LEGO gets the Trek license. That seems to be MB's big selling point for anything these days... licenses.