Yatkuu

[Maze] Cat A - Shaun of the Dead - THE Plan

Hello everyone,

I have the pleasure to present you today my entry in this a-maze-ing contest: “Shaun of the Dead - THE Plan”.

This entry is actually the outcome of a collaboration with my usual partner in LEGO-crime … my good friend PixelFox.

This creation is also the opportunity for me to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Winchester project being turned down on Cuusoo (anyone still remember this?).

In a way, this MOC is shock-full of irony (and tiny zombies), presenting an undead “Cuusoo” project within an approved “Ideas” one is almost like LEGO inception.. a dream within a dream…

Anyway, I digress, on with the pictures!

27125817910_7ac422d6c7_z.jpg

Shaun of the Dead - THE Plan

maze-board-2s.jpg

maze-board-3s.jpg

My goal with this ‘maze’ was to keep the design simple - allowing for a fast-paced gameplay - but also have a layout that would hopefully be instantly recognizable.

I did try different scales for the micro buildings – some versions allowed for the ball to roll in or through them but I found that due to the larger scale and added weight it was then becoming increasingly difficult to keep a well-balanced board and it ended up hindering the gameplay. So, I kept it simple.

I wanted to give credits to Barton Thinks’ Brownstone design that heavily inspired my take on Shaun’s townhouse.

As a bonus, please see below or at this link an action-packed video gameplay, enjoy!

Good use of macaroni bricks to make the pathways :thumbup: Neat microscale buildings as well :classic:

Good use of macaroni bricks to make the pathways :thumbup:

These are fun to use as they definitely add something to the gameplay, the ball speeds up a bit thanks to the curve. But they also have some constraints. I initially wanted to have the walls to be lower on the board - 2 plates high instead of 3. Unfortunately you can't do that with Macaroni bricks because you can't tile the floor around them to raise it. (I hope I'm making sense here?)

Thank you everyone for the enthusiast feedbacks!

Is there shortcut around "Grab the Mum"? There are two posibble ways? Or I miss something?

Is there shortcut around "Grab the Mum"? There are two posibble ways? Or I miss something?

It is not meant to be a shortcut, it is more like an added difficulty.

The path is more direct if you skip that corner but the game scenario demands that you stop at the house (to pick-up Shaun's mom).