Hello all,

When you are playing with your Lego creations, what remote control set-up/configuration do you use? The main one I use for my cars is a joystick and steering wheel combination:

DSCN1760.JPG

The other configuration I use is a 2 way joystick:

DSCN1762.JPG

The other MOD I have come across is the following link based one:

DSCN1768.JPG

More pictures are available at my Bricksafe account: http://bricksafe.com...remote-controls

If you have any other modifications or set-ups you use, post them here.

Thanks for reading, Jim

Edited by Technic Jim

One like in 9398 results very comfortable (vertical steering wheel on right and a connector on left)

51uqVwfJPHL.jpg

Edited by LXF

I use the steering one as well as the classic lego axles/pins. Nothing too fancy for me. As long as it works. The only setup I hate is the one mentioned by LXF, I hate the ones that lego creates for steering.

I created this setup for the Volvo loader to control the jerky steering. I have found it also works well with cars like the ICARUS with a servo motor to control the steering better.

800x534.jpg

800x534.jpg

800x506.jpg

I created this setup for the Volvo loader to control the jerky steering. I have found it also works well with cars like the ICARUS with a servo motor to control the steering better.

It looks quite cool but what happens when you go past the operating point of the universal joint? How many clicks of the drive wheel does it take before this happens?

It looks quite cool but what happens when you go past the operating point of the universal joint? How many clicks of the drive wheel does it take before this happens?

That's when you use the red buttons...

Should be easy to fix if you use bevel gears instead of the universal joint.

It has almost full motion. If you start it below the mid-way point, you easily get full forward motion. As someone also pointed out, you can use the red button.

This is one by Sariel that makes tracked vehicles steerable, it also controls speed/direction.

That is where my inspiration came from. That design may work with tracked vehicles but did not work with Volvo. It steers and moves forward / backwards at same time. Mine allows precise control.

I built it awhile ago so I know there is room for improvement. It was a quick and dirty with the parts I had at the time. There is a new part that came out which I was going to try to use to clean it up a bit. Technic, Arm with Gear 8 Tooth and 1.5L Axle

I'm gonna steal build one! Looks really good!

Enjoy. Takes a bit of time to get use to the controls but once you do, it works great.

That's when you use the red buttons...

Should be easy to fix if you use bevel gears instead of the universal joint.

It has almost full motion. If you start it below the mid-way point, you easily get full forward motion. As someone also pointed out, you can use the red button.

I built it awhile ago so I know there is room for improvement. It was a quick and dirty with the parts I had at the time. There is a new part that came out which I was going to try to use to clean it up a bit. Technic, Arm with Gear 8 Tooth and 1.5L Axle

Cheers, but wouldn't the red buttons mean you would have to 'calibrate (as it were)' it again so the remote had full range?

I'm gonna steal build one! Looks really good!

Same :wink:

Cheers, but wouldn't the red buttons mean you would have to 'calibrate (as it were)' it again so the remote had full range?

Same :wink:

Once you practice with the remote for awhile, I actually find it easier and quicker to use the red stop button. For instance when driving forward pushing the bucket, just pressing the red button allows you now to go backwards as fast as you want and quickly by rotating downwards. Then again pressing the red button quickly stops and you will have full motion going forwards again.

I actually found this remote most useful on the ICARUS as I found the steering was full or nothing. This really allowed small adjustments.

Also keep in mind for the VOLVO you need to adjust the cables so the servo motor and driving motor are on the same IR receiver which by default, they are not.

Once you practice with the remote for awhile, I actually find it easier and quicker to use the red stop button. For instance when driving forward pushing the bucket, just pressing the red button allows you now to go backwards as fast as you want and quickly by rotating downwards. Then again pressing the red button quickly stops and you will have full motion going forwards again.

I actually found this remote most useful on the ICARUS as I found the steering was full or nothing. This really allowed small adjustments.

Also keep in mind for the VOLVO you need to adjust the cables so the servo motor and driving motor are on the same IR receiver which by default, they are not.

Ok, thanks!

Has anybody got an idea how to make a joystick for a tracked vehicle? 
(push forward and  backward for throttle and twist the knob for turning)