Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeArghast

Milwaukee Road U23B

Obviously, it's not perfect - the battery box makes up a part of the frame (but is still built to be accessible) and would require a black sticker (or, more likely, an orange one). The trucks are too short because I just went with a standard motor, and the windows on the cab are 'as good as I could manage,' but a better solution could probably be found for those side ones. I messed around with some SNOT fixes for them, but eventually gave up.

Proto video(s) (sorta... I always did like Guilford):

Proto photos:

lWhmHXJ.jpg

UJEDcoj.jpg

w7umhdh.png

QonbHTV.jpg

nNIAdmq.jpg

9KIZeyt.gif

Model:

jsrdkWc.png

UVlmUC1.png

dsJ37kw.png

7dpkfpr.png

dyzgEoV.png

Edited by ShrikeArghast

Excellent work. Excellent prototype - a perfect copy of you turned out. This locomotive is the orange?

We also do this in the form of Lego City. And the standard truck can deliver.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and original scheme. I did not know about these wonderful trains on the other side of the Earth for me.

Nice render of the U boat.

What is the steering wheels on its nose used for?

Handbrake wheel. You turn to mechanically engage the brakes so train doesn't roll away when engine turned off.

Looking good, I think I have a photo somewhere with a bunch of these in a dead line.

Only one small suggestion for future MOCs. Right now you describe the build details, then show several shots of the prototype before showing your MOC. Why not lead off with a good shot of the MOC before the prototype shots and/or move discussion of the build details until after the prototypes? Just a thought, I still was able to follow everything.

Looking good, I think I have a photo somewhere with a bunch of these in a dead line.

I've spoken to a couple of retired railroaders over the years who said they preferred the GE products from this era over contemporary EMDs. It's sad that the industry as a whole purged these units but retained many of the geeps from the late 70s and early 80s.

Well done! Good use of scale. Very nice level of detailing. You've put more "brick built" detail in 7-wide(?) than I could in 10. Thank you for teaching me (yet again), that I need me some more skills. :classic: The windows look pretty good. you have captured the essence of them nicely. This is a fine piece of work! It should be an impressive model when you get around to building it.

Edited by Rotundus

It should be an impressive model when you get around to building it.

When I win the lottery? Heh. The saddest thing about Lego trains are how much more expensive they are even than fine models. An engine like this would probably cost upwards of $200 to build via Bricklink - I actually own an HO model of this specific unit that I got for $70... tack on a DCC sound decoder and you're looking at $110 tops. Even in O-scale, which is far more expensive, you're not topping out at more than $250-$300 for the locomotive (and that's manufacturer's list, mind you - I could do better on Ebay).

The economies get far worse with the cars, however. You can doll up a bargain bin HO car via painting and fine detailing and wind up with a very solid model for around $15. Since Lego doesn't distinguish on pricing between rolling stock and locomotives, an individual box car would cost $100-$150 without breaking a sweat. I could put together an entire, functioning, 4x8 HO train set with super-detailed scenery, sound, buildings, lighting, etc. for much less than it would cost to assemble a locomotive and five or six cars in Lego - THAT'S the disconnect, for me.

*Phew*

No need to be self-effacing, though - your own models are quite excellent (particularly that GP30). The problem with my work is it's all make-believe - you're building yours. Until I can actually put my hands on these things, I feel like I'm kind of cheating myself. I'd love to build this engine, though - it just has the look of something 'substantial.' I always feel that way about my diesels... even if I love the steam engines more, I think my efforts in modern locos are stronger.

Edited by ShrikeArghast

Small update: I lengthened the body by two studs. I cannot honestly decide if this is an improvement or not over the original. Obviously, this is closer in length to the prototype, and looks a lot less crowded. On the other hand, it has the disadvantage of emphasizing the small trucks, which obviously isn't desirable. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Original:

dIYFHct.png

Long version:

wOwt4Io.png

One extreme option would be to gut it, drop the stock trucks, build custom wheelsets, and then remotor the thing. A drawback to this would be that I'd need to shrink the fuel tank, but it would at least result in the model looking appropriate at all levels.

Edited by ShrikeArghast

Got better. Locomotive should be even longer. What are its real dimensions?

Not a clue. I just eyeball these things based on schematics, like the black and white line drawing in the OP.

Your design is perfect enough. Is it possible to put the battery box at rear? I think the width of rear is enough for it.