tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

On 26/04/2018 at 11:50 PM, jb70 said:

Hi Didumos,

i have build your improved paddle shifter. Indeed it shifts more smoothly than the original one. But i thought, the mounting of the rubber bands inside the shifting unit is very complex to handle. If the rubber bands slip off once, you need to rebuild the complete shifting unit. That's why I decided to keep the original paddle shifter.

But, if we could combine your improved paddle shifter with upside rubber bands, that could make the deal. I think to remember, you have posted some thoughts in this direction. Do you have some examples like photos or ldd, mpd?

It is also possible to rempace the rubber with Shock Absorber

After trying several solutions to raise the front of the car (I was looking for a simple one based on TLG design)

I am quite happy with the following one : I replaced the yellow parts

before.jpg.eb41d964725d929036f95de8c63a0a0a.jpg

with those

mod.jpg.1e018421cc464f4d8c45658f8d694b16.jpg

like this (you have to compress the shock absorber a bit to install it)

after.jpg.11c6e6c7c099c7924d15301773cb1257.jpg

Now the front of the car is a little higher than the rear :-)

On 26.4.2018 at 11:50 PM, jb70 said:

Hi Didumos,

i have build your improved paddle shifter. Indeed it shifts more smoothly than the original one. But i thought, the mounting of the rubber bands inside the shifting unit is very complex to handle. If the rubber bands slip off once, you need to rebuild the complete shifting unit. That's why I decided to keep the original paddle shifter.

But, if we could combine your improved paddle shifter with upside rubber bands, that could make the deal. I think to remember, you have posted some thoughts in this direction. Do you have some examples like photos or ldd, mpd?

I think, I solved the puzzle!

Thank to @Didumos69 who triggered me several times to include his paddle shifter into my Pimp-up-my-porsche. When I played again with my Porsche, I noticed, that the old paddle shifters often stucked when they returned to idle position. So I was looking for an improvement.

Didumos used blue 1/2 pins to guide the yellow knob gears in exactly the right position for a smooth movement during shifting. This is the main difference between his and the original design. And it is much better than the original one.

I combined Didumos' geometry while keeping most of the original design (and parts) and the easy-to-mount rubber bands on top. This is the result:
640x640.jpg

I have updated my instructions and mpd file of Pimp-up-my-porsche on rebrickable.

Edited by jb70

22 hours ago, jb70 said:

I think, I solved the puzzle!

Thank to @Didumos69 who triggered me several times to include his paddle shifter into my Pimp-up-my-porsche. When I played again with my Porsche, I noticed, that the old paddle shifters often stucked when they returned to idle position. So I was looking for an improvement.

Didumos used blue 1/2 pins to guide the yellow knob gears in exactly the right position for a smooth movement during shifting. This is the main difference between his and the original design. And it is much better than the original one.

I combined Didumos' geometry while keeping most of the original design (and parts) and the easy-to-mount rubber bands on top. This is the result:
640x640.jpg

I have updated my instructions and mpd file of Pimp-up-my-porsche on rebrickable.

Yeah- maybe i will add this shifter into my porsche- IMHO best Solution until now- this Is the Porsche TLG should have been released- if they'ed no complains would have been arised... 

Very nice, simple an compact solution !

This is my deviation, less compact... than yours. but smoother than the original one

Porsche_GearBox.jpg

Hi, I'm a new member.
I would like to thank everyone who helped improve this set.
Here are some screenshots of my...

Next step I'll add led lights and I'll bring some improvements to the bodywork

Best regards from Italy,

Stefano.

Edited by barbanera

1 hour ago, Paknaloid said:

@barbaneraI like what you did with the headlight surrounds, haven't seen that before.  What part did you use?

plate 5x5 part 6942, but it's necessary to lower the headlight support to mount this part
6942.png.9bb3d878f090868bea172b29115846b9.png 

2 hours ago, AFOL1976 said:

Which part(s) are "in" the 5x5 dish (under the 4x4 clear dish)?

No part, simple silver card stock but you can use also drink's aluminum tin

5aea0c9fbb10b_20180502_204605(FILEminimizer).jpg.f5ffcad27cde357c48c081e4787c07ba.jpg

On 02/06/2016 at 11:56 AM, Jetro said:

MOD is a big word at this stage, but in addition to the video showing you how to detach the bodywork from the chassis I also made a short video showing how to get to the offending gears and correct the gear sequence, based on the completed stage 1 (chassis):

hello, i have just bought this kit to build for my grandson, will i need to do any mods to my kit when i build it, been reading some interesting points about the gears not working as they should. if i do what stage of the build do i need to make the changes, thanks for reading. 

On 02/06/2016 at 11:56 AM, Jetro said:

MOD is a big word at this stage, but in addition to the video showing you how to detach the bodywork from the chassis I also made a short video showing how to get to the offending gears and correct the gear sequence, based on the completed stage 1 (chassis):

hello, i have just bought this kit to build for my grandson, will i need to do any mods to my kit when i build it, been reading some interesting points about the gears not working as they should. if i do what stage of the build do i need to make the changes, thanks for reading. 

4 hours ago, lotusteve said:

Hello, if you want to stay close to the original and fix all issues, you could try the unofficial errata. You do need about 30 extra parts though.

If you want the most complete package of community mods, you could walk the pimp up my Porsche path, but that would require significantly more parts.

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Hello, if you want to stay close to the original and fix all issues, you could try the unofficial errata. You do need about 30 extra parts though.

If you want the most complete package of community mods, you could walk the pimp up my Porsche path, but that would require significantly more parts.

thanks for the info.. built about 20% of it now and loving it so far. 

So eh... is annyone considering fitting their porsche with a redesigned gearbox with the new parts from the chiron?

Im thinking that a 4+R gearbox built around the new orange catch would be much more compact, and need less extra gears to transmit power all the way through the driveline (think the cross-point between the drive axle and side to side shifter axle, it has three extra gears just to cross two axles), reducing friction and making the whole thing much more robust

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, DayWalker said:

Hi Guy,

I have updated the mechanical system to avoid having 4 rear gears. It is the same principle, but simplier.

Here are few pictures of the system, completely hiden at the end behind the black pannels. Note that the 2 black elements 4173668 should be replace by a single black Technic Cross Block/Fork 2X2. Last, the front and rear speeds are reverse, in the same position as the real GT3RS (but on the sticker of the gear box, we should exchange the position of the D and R letters)

gear_1bis.jpg

Hello,
I plan to build the "pimp up my Porsche" version. Before ordering the required parts, I would like to add some parts for the reverse gear blocker designed by DayWalker.

Unfortunately, I fail to understand which parts are used to build this improvement. I'm unable to reproduce this with my spare parts.
Could someone tell me which parts are used to build this system?

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, jb70 said:

@DayWalker, I have built and tested your reverse gear blocker. It is a really compact design and works fine completely hidden below the panels. And it is fully compatible to all the other MODs in the "Pimp up my Porsche" collection.

But I personally like to be free to shift my Porsche between D-N-R in every gear, even if it is not "real". And I would like to keep the original D-N-R stickers, that do not match to the blocking function. 

Nevertheless a useful MOD for everyone who likes.

After closer inspection of the "Pimp up my Porsche" instructions, it appears that this MOD is totally incompatible with this version.
I was misled by the post from jb70 quoted above, saying the opposite. But obviously, the images posted by DayWalker have nothing to do with the "Pimp up my Porsche" instructions:
second picture
third picture
That's very confusing…

I am not a MOCer, and my pleasure with Lego is to follow the instructions to build great models designed by others. So, unless someone brings clarifications on this reverse gear blocker, I think I will drop this system.

6 hours ago, Bulga said:

After closer inspection of the "Pimp up my Porsche" instructions, it appears that this MOD is totally incompatible with this version.
I was misled by the post from jb70 quoted above, saying the opposite. But obviously, the images posted by DayWalker have nothing to do with the "Pimp up my Porsche" instructions:
second picture
third picture
That's very confusing…

I am not a MOCer, and my pleasure with Lego is to follow the instructions to build great models designed by others. So, unless someone brings clarifications on this reverse gear blocker, I think I will drop this system.

@Bulga

By saying „compatible“ i meant that you may add @DayWalker´s reverse gear blocker without interfering or loosing any others features of the pimp-up-my-porsche solution. But you need to make some modifications to get it in. Just compare the pictures of the reverse gear blocker with the corresponding building steps in my instructions and you may see the differences.

Sorry, but we don‘t have step-by-step building instructions for this combination.