tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

The video might be delayed (again) because here in Texas where it never rains it is pouring making all the roads all slippery :angry:

Anyway but it can reach 31.3kph with ease :classic: or 19.4mph

Are you going to strip out the whole car for weight? I'd take out everything. Gearbox, seats, flappy paddles, steering wheel, etc. Then lube up all the axles with graphite lubricant to prevent melting and torquing of parts. And add in a white 24 tooth clutch gear for extra insurance to protect the transmission and your brushless motor. You could probably get another 4-5 mph out of it that way too. :classic:

A video of this in the rain, peeling out and drifting? Yes please :grin: :grin:

Also, what motors are you using? I want to do something like this myself,with custom RC motors, but I am not sure which ones I should use.

OK sounds good to me :grin:

I am using a Titan 380 motor, a HobbyWing Quicrun ESC, and a 7.2V 5000mah tenergy battery (I would recommend a lower mah because of size)

It would be better to get a brushless motor like the Traxxas Velineon motor because they are more durable.

Are you going to strip out the whole car for weight? I'd take out everything. Gearbox, seats, flappy paddles, steering wheel, etc. Then lube up all the axles with graphite lubricant to prevent melting and torquing of parts. And add in a white 24 tooth clutch gear for extra insurance to protect the transmission and your brushless motor. You could probably get another 4-5 mph out of it that way too. :classic:

Yes I would the entire inside would go along with a rebuilt suspension and no gearbox. I have been using lithium grease to lube the axle and it works fine for me, as a matter of fact the axles have less ware then the ones with my crawlers, I cant say the same for the to the gears.

The motor would melt the clutch gear instantly so that would be a bad idea.

I think I found a way to fix the infinite shifting issue. I added the dark grey beam below and to the left of the orange shifting arm. I don't know if this will still work when the body is added, but hopefully it will.

@supertechnicman: Wah that is a simple but good fix :).

I also don't like the 1->2->3 (after reversing the gears)->4->1->... gear shift and this should fix it.

A titan 380? I'm surprised it can handle the weight.

Go with the 775 hehe.

Yeeaaaaaaaa... I do have the the 12turn 550 motor but there is no easy way to mount it and I have absolutely no experience with 3d printing to make a mount.

The 380 can handle the weight very well because of the low gearing (1:12.6) although it does get hot but I only run it at max 10minuest before stopping.

I think I found a way to fix the infinite shifting issue. I added the dark grey beam below and to the left of the orange shifting arm. I don't know if this will still work when the body is added, but hopefully it will.

(...)

Nice mod, simple and effective. Looking at the instructions it seems that spot will house a 9L liftarm, but only the 3 rear holes on that liftarm are used for another liftarm, so this 2x4 liftarm combined with a 5L liftarm should be fine (+some additional pins). I'd suggest switching it to black instead of DBG so it blends with the rest of the belly in that area.

Edited by Appie

Oh well pics of the mod might be cool then, i was surprised as most cars the 380(and other motors) is designed for use high quality bearings to reduce drive train friction(motor killer) and lego does not have any of those

Edited by Corvette3

I think this might be the same size as my nitro-driven RC car. It would be an interesting experiment to attach the body on the RC chassis. Except when I eventually smash it into a wall and lose some of the pieces.

I couldn't resist and I have built the base of Porsche, from online instructions from my free parts.

I have made the mechanism to prevent of reverse gear engaging when other than first gear is selected.

- You can engage the reverse gear only when 1. gear is selected

- You can engage neutral any time like in the real car

- When the reverse gear is engaged there is no possible to shift the gears

So everything like it should be.

I have also used the 2x4L liftarm to prevent from cycling shifting (solution from supertechnicman)

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Nice solution, Max!

With this the 4R problem is over... And the set will be much better.

I wonder why TLG did not implement it in the set.

Very inventive! I especially like the fact that you can only select reverse from first gear. I might have to steal that idea for my DB11... :)

Very nice Max!

Does this require more modifications to the gearbox to make it fit or does it fit without changes to the actual gearing (in terms of space)?

Edited by Didumos69

Thank you guys... :)

No problem Jeroen. I'm looking forward for your DB11. :)

@Didumos69:

No modifications in gearbox. You have to only remove the nice round curved panels that cover the middle console. I haven't built the upper body of Porsche so maybe you have to do some "cosmetic" changes in the upper body but sure nothing critical. Maybe someone can check it... :) But I have used the free unused spaces.

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

@Didumos69:

No modifications in gearbox. You have to only remove the nice round curved panels that cover the middle console. I haven't built the upper body of Porsche so maybe you have to do some "cosmetic" changes in the upper body but sure nothing critical. Maybe someone can check it... :) But I have used the free unused spaces.

Max

Okay, cosmetic changes only, even better. With this MOD and the ones already posted the set is slowly evolving into something I want to have. Thanks again.

I also built my own porsche... but the problem is that the shifter's output axle does not lock in a perpendicular (0,90,180,270) angle, it does lock but not perpendicularly and causes two driving rigns being engaged most of the time! Any help?

Try to pull the shifters out so much like possible by shifting... I got the same issue when I pulled the shifters not completely out. Look at my video up... It happens when I pull the shifters too weak...

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

I couldn't resist and I have built the base of Porsche, from online instructions from my free parts.

I have made the mechanism to prevent of reverse gear engaging when other than first gear is selected.

- You can engage the reverse gear only when 1. gear is selected

- You can engage neutral any time like in the real car

- When the reverse gear is engaged there is no possible to shift the gears

So everything like it should be.

I have also used the 2x4L liftarm to prevent from cycling shifting (solution from supertechnicman)

(media)

Max

Excellent mod, thanks for sharing.

Okay, cosmetic changes only, even better. With this MOD and the ones already posted the set is slowly evolving into something I want to have. Thanks again.

I got the same feeling, but also a feeling looking at these MODs that are so minor and look so simple (no offence intended, simple solutions tend to be harder than any other method) that I wonder why Lego didn't make any of these in the first place with the team working on the model and the people testing this model outside of that team. It really makes the model a more complete package.

The only MOD I'd still consider (besides adding functions) is getting those rubber bands away on top and use a part better suited as paddles. Perhaps even pushing the steering wheel more forward while I am at it.

Edited by Appie

I have made the 2. version of the REVERSE GEAR BLOCKING MECHANISM, where can you nicely enclose the middle console and the whole mechanism will be hidden. I used the Technic Liftarm 1 x 3 with 2 Axle Holes and Pin/Crank connected to the red changeover catch.

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Oh well pics of the mod might be cool then, i was surprised as most cars the 380(and other motors) is designed for use high quality bearings to reduce drive train friction(motor killer) and lego does not have any of those

Yea that is true but I usea lube very liberally :grin:

I think this might be the same size as my nitro-driven RC car. It would be an interesting experiment to attach the body on the RC chassis. Except when I eventually smash it into a wall and lose some of the pieces.

Yea but I think this mod might be never done since my low budget will not allow it :sadnew: unless one of you fine fellows will kindly donate me your (not very) fine Lego Porsche to me :laugh::sarcasm:

Great mods MaxSupercars! This set really is a great base for an amazing supercar build. The size of the car allows endless possibilities for upgrades and modifications.

Somewhat crazy that people can whip up super mods AND fix the very serious problems of this set in just a few days :thumbup:

I mean ya all just a bunch of nerds sitting at home with a few thousand parts and a couple of hours to spare. Just think if YOU had three years, ALL the LEGO in the world (including the option to have new parts made), loads of people to help you (making sandwiches, getting cold beers and taking the dog for a walk) while you just rack you brains to make the Ultimate Supercar :laugh:

Boggles the mind it does ..

"Some other eyes will look around, and find the things I've never found."

-Malvina Reynolds