tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

I have started building the Porsche again using the Pimp up my Porsche  instructions by @jb70 that contain all your MODs. What a pleasure puzzling again to find on each image what needs to go where. This is old style Lego technic building! I love it!

@jb70's instructions are very well done : I have not fabricated my Porsche mod based on this, but I have spent time to explore it and it is better than the official lego's manual: fewer steps and the impression that we are not babies. I really love it too.

Edited by DayWalker

Can someone who owns the set comment on the required pieces to fill the gaps below the headlights please?

Edited by Mysh

37 minutes ago, Mysh said:

Can someone who owns the set comment on the required pieces to fill the gaps below the headlights please?

look at the previous page...

Someone was able to mount a very small technic panel underneath the front headlamp, does anyone have instructions to do this? 

On 6/21/2018 at 2:39 PM, Mysh said:

Lol... I should have read your comments before I posted ?

On 4/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, fred-eric said:

In the version (am I not able to remember the author) I use, you need 3 parts an axle pin 43093, a  Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular, and a 3L pin  6558

Sans titre.jpg

So the panel only connects with one pin hole used in the panel?... Does that not make it easy to move the panel? 

On 6/22/2016 at 7:56 PM, brunojj1 said:

Everything is said about the Porsche, almost nothing left :wink: .. I filled in some gaps around the headlights and replaced the black 5x3 beams at the fenders, front lights are lowered a bit.

640x436.jpg640x376.jpg

I don´t claim this as an "improvement", all just a question of taste because the bodywork is considered as the best part of the car by everybody.

I wonder what brunojj did, because it looks way better.

Many thanks anyway!

On 6/16/2018 at 9:42 PM, WvG_853 said:

I have started building the Porsche again using the Pimp up my Porsche  instructions by @jb70 that contain all your MODs.

Hmm, I must have made a mistake somewhere because the wheels block in the 4th gear ... I cannot figure out my mistake so I am starting from scratch

640x640.jpeg

A few modications to my Porsche 911 GT3 RS 

Most of the Eurobricks Mod's have been done, plus a right hand drive conversion, Weissach Package colourway and tidied up headlight area. Also replaced most of the Blue 3L Pins with Black (exhausted Bricklink supply in NZ, need to move to offshore suppliers now).

800x600.jpeg

640x640.jpeg

Vinyl wrapped the 5x5 Dish with Black and installed Panel Fairing #21/22 under the headlights to fill in the open area.

Edited by LegoHoops
Updated photo host

Anyone by any change working on a new version with a compact gearbox with the new Chiron orange wave selector?

Edited by Snorrowitz

15 hours ago, train lover said:

Should I remove the white slipping gear ?.
The result is much less friction through the huge amount of transmission gears.

https://brickset.com/reviews/set-42056-1

I strongly advice to do this: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-5236/Didumos/42056-porsche-911-gt3-rs-unofficial-errata/#info

Edited by Didumos69

Here are few additionnal body changes, if interested.

The first one concerns the front hood, with an additionnal fixation of the flexible axes (close to the windshield) for a better control of their shape and a lateral extension of the front hood.

Porsche_front_hood_1.jpgPorsche_front_hood_2.jpg

The second mod concerns the top roof close to the windshield to suggest its curvature and add a central mirror (for fabrication, look at photo number 2 : modifications are not so much complicated). Of course, you need to shift the central 3x11 orange pannel.

Porsche_top_roof_1.jpgPorsche_top_roof_2.jpgPorsche_top_roof_3.jpg

Edited by DayWalker

Body Upgrades were always top of my list of improvements too. I've incorporated all of jb70s technical improvements (thanks so much for your set of instructions jb70) added the black pin swap out (ran out so still a few to go), tilt on the steering wheel and then added 6 additional curved panels to fill in the body holes. Have retained the slight indent in the centre of the roof and front bonnet but used the curved panels to look more accurate. Slight upgrade to the front look using the idea from efferman and enlarged the front side radiators openings as they are in the real one. A few things still to finish due to running out of parts and then stickers including the GT RS3 down the sides. Really enjoyed the build and especially modding it.

WP_20180710_00_26_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20180710_00_26_08_Pro.jpg

Here is my mod :) Some features are: RHD, AWD, improved front suspension, new 4-speed gearbox using the new chiron piece, motorised using 2 PF motors (easily detached), hand brake, improved shifting, gear indicator, roll cage and other minor bodywork plus body is easily detached from drive train.

:)

Edited by im12btw

On 7/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, train lover said:

Should I remove the white slipping gear ?.
The result is much less friction through the huge amount of transmission gears.

https://brickset.com/reviews/set-42056-1

driving-train.jpg

Grey axles need to be pushed out, there is way too much friction there around bevel gears.

I've applied the most commonly used mods and reinforced the chassis in a few places, well over a year ago.
Removable body, HOG shifting on dash, HOG shifting and steering behind seats, etc.
This week I placed an order for a few of the Bugatti gearbox parts to see if those can become part of the Porsche too.
I recently noticed that 2 parts of the 90 degrees limiter have started to show signs of wear: cracks! Do you have the same issue?

800x800.jpg

On 4/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, jb70 said:

I think, I solved the puzzle!

Thank to @Didumos69 who triggered me several times to include his paddle shifter into my Pimp-up-my-porsche. When I played again with my Porsche, I noticed, that the old paddle shifters often stucked when they returned to idle position. So I was looking for an improvement.

Didumos used blue 1/2 pins to guide the yellow knob gears in exactly the right position for a smooth movement during shifting. This is the main difference between his and the original design. And it is much better than the original one.

I combined Didumos' geometry while keeping most of the original design (and parts) and the easy-to-mount rubber bands on top. This is the result:

I have updated my instructions and mpd file of Pimp-up-my-porsche on rebrickable.

Thanks for the updated PDF on bricksafe. Can you use the gear indicator on the dashboard as HOG shifter?

On 8/17/2018 at 9:33 PM, emielroumen said:

I recently noticed that 2 parts of the 90 degrees limiter have started to show signs of wear: cracks! Do you have the same issue?

I don't and I can hardly imagine this has anything to do with the way these parts are used in the limiter (I assume you use (oo)-pieces and not (xo)-pieces). The axle-holes of these cross-blocks are designed slightly too tight, to keep a firm hold on the axles inserted. It might be that having an axle inserted for a long time causes enough strain to cause this kind of injury.