tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

Edit: figured out a different way to attached the left wiper

I'm just waiting on some replacement parts to arrive and need to fit the working lights, and wipers, but I'm getting close to completion of my model employing most of the Mods in this thread, and will post some photos once done (along with credit to the wonderful work I've borrowed from forum members :wink:)

Edited by Paknaloid
Problem solved

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but where does the course map sticker 3A go?  I must've missed it among the massive number of instructions!

It's sort of unfortunate that a lot of the model's complexity gets hidden from view, or not at least behind an easily raised panel.  Seems a shame to hide all those gearing and engine mechanics behind the black 'interior' panels.

Still, it's amazing to see what the community has done with mods for this!  WOW.

1 hour ago, wkearney99 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but where does the course map sticker 3A go?  I must've missed it among the massive number of instructions!

You have a choice between two stickers (3A and 3B) to be applied on a single single 2x4 tile.

Thanks for the instructions, a great PDF to have, I've implemented all the changes and it's now perfect. Only thing I added was a few orange Lego Bionicle tooth parts to plug a few gaps in the body. I had the panel below the lights already but changed it using the Pin with Friction Ridges. I'll take a photo and post it later.

Thanks a million to all for the instructions & ideas to make this a great model.

@Paknaloid, thanks for sharing your improved version!I ordered the parts to mod mine as well, and I would like to ask you, to share if possible the list of parts needed to mod the trunk, and also were can I buy the door stickers.

Edited by Marinho
Correct user name of Paknaloid

3 hours ago, Paknaloid said:

@Marinho all the info on the stickers can be found here:

which part of the trunk did you mean? If just the prop for the rear bonnet, this was a super simple mod, I'll try to take a photo of the parts later but it could work with many different configurations depending on how you wanted it to look, length of prop etc.

Thanks for your reply @Paknaloid. Yes, that is the part I refer to. It seems to me, that it is similar to the one in the front bonnet. I just want to be sure, because I need to order the parts before I go home. All my Lego is in my house in Portugal, and I live in Germany. Just don't want to go home, and have less parts than I need.

On 7/2/2017 at 10:27 PM, Paknaloid said:

Here you go - I actually changed it ever so slightly, these are the pieces for the rear prop.  I was limited by spare pieces but it could certainly be improved e.g. Colours, some sort of lock to hold it in place etc.

640x360.jpg 

Thanks! I think I have enough spares to do it.

After building and testing some of the new MODs in this forum I have updated "Pimp up my Porsche" to v1.2 including new building instructions on rebrickable.com.

640x640.jpg

I added a gear indicator as suggested by @DayWalker and  @Kumbbl. I like the very compact design and now you can directly see something happen when shifting, when all the other technical stuff is hidden beneath the body.

640x640.jpg

I  added lockable doors based on the design of @el Squatter and some optimizations by my own. This adds playability a lot, because it keeps the driver door closed when using the gear shift paddles.
Opening and closing the door works very smooth and when you close the door, you can hear a cool "plop" sound as you would expect from a german car.

640x640.jpg

And finally I reinforced the HOG steering:

640x640.jpg

Thankx a lot lot for these cool new features and have fun to pimp up your Porsche, if you like!

Edited by jb70

On 21.5.2017 at 5:55 PM, DayWalker said:

Hi Guy,

I have updated the mechanical system to avoid having 4 rear gears. It is the same principle, but simplier.

Here are few pictures of the system, completely hiden at the end behind the black pannels. Note that the 2 black elements 4173668 should be replace by a single black Technic Cross Block/Fork 2X2. Last, the front and rear speeds are reverse, in the same position as the real GT3RS (but on the sticker of the gear box, we should exchange the position of the D and R letters)

gear_1bis.jpg

@DayWalker, I have built and tested your reverse gear blocker. It is a really compact design and works fine completely hidden below the panels. And it is fully compatible to all the other MODs in the "Pimp up my Porsche" collection.

But I personally like to be free to shift my Porsche between D-N-R in every gear, even if it is not "real". And I would like to keep the original D-N-R stickers, that do not match to the blocking function. 

Nevertheless a useful MOD for everyone who likes.

3 hours ago, jb70 said:

After building and testing some of the new MODs in this forum I have updated "Pimp up my Porsche" to v1.2 including new building instructions on rebrickable.com.

Thanks a lot! Cool improvement of the lockable door design of el squatter - IMHO this lockable doors are now by far the best implementation: robust, no rubber bands, and get rid of the tiles which makes the door inside slight smaller... nevertheless it remains very hard for a males hand to switch gears with closed drivers door - i still open the door for switching gears...

2 hours ago, jb70 said:

@DayWalker, I have built and tested your reverse gear blocker. It is a really compact design and works fine completely hidden below the panels. And it is fully compatible to all the other MODs in the "Pimp up my Porsche" collection.

But I personally like to be free to shift my Porsche between D-N-R in every gear, even if it is not "real". And I would like to keep the original D-N-R stickers, that do not match to the blocking function. 

Nevertheless a useful MOD for everyone who likes.

Personally i like the reverse gear blocker of daywalker a lot but i can understand your decision and preference: it is not such an essential feature like the gear indicator, agreed. And the reverse blocker is still quite easy to integrate into your 1.2 version of your Porsche MOD-package - now even easier than with V1.1...

Overall your current V1.2 package is a near perfect Porsche GT3RS MOD of 42056 - thanks a lot - now i can recommend everyone who wants to build the Porsche just following your BI 1.2 and bob will be their uncle - and i'm sure: If TLG would have been released this Porsche as 42056 no one would have complained but most of the people would have praised TLG for a great supercar model.... just my 2ct...

Edited by Kumbbl

@jb70, very cool that you took the time to add these features to your pimped-up version. And the efforts of @Kumbbl and @DayWalker have not been in vain this way. I thnk we can all sleep happily now :laugh:.

@jb70 thank you for yet another iteration of your fantastic instructions!

and @el Squatter (+ @jb70 for optimisations): I've just finished rebuilding the doors with this locking mechanism - what a great, smooth solution, it works so well and is very clean, and much sturdier than the locking mechanism I was using.  I'm not going to add a gear indicator as I don't want to pull the set apart after making so many changes to it, but other than that it is fully up to date with the mods, improvements and fixes.  Actually there's one more thing I'd have liked to do, add chrome wheels.  However I can't afford a set of 4 chrome wheels on BrickLink unfortunately.

@jb70

Your building instruction is extremely well done (I appreciate the reduced step number, like old lego technic instructions). I'am impressed that the final part number is not so far away from the stock 45056. For this reason, it may be interesting, at the end of the builing instruction, to list also the additionnal part from the stock 42056. I believe it would ease the interested people to be sure they have (bought ?) the missing parts, without spending a lot of time to make comparisons.

15 hours ago, DayWalker said:

@jb70

Your building instruction is extremely well done (I appreciate the reduced step number, like old lego technic instructions). I'am impressed that the final part number is not so far away from the stock 45056. For this reason, it may be interesting, at the end of the builing instruction, to list also the additionnal part from the stock 42056. I believe it would ease the interested people to be sure they have (bought ?) the missing parts, without spending a lot of time to make comparisons.

@DayWalker, good idea! I have added a link in my description to see the diff to the original parts list.

- You will need 224 additional parts to the original set 42056-1.  Use rebrickable's compare feature to see which parts you need. 

Just now, Nebulaire said:

Spotted this amazing 42056 one set moc in a Lego convention closed to Paris this week-end

Haha that's nuts! Very creative

Hi,

As you may have noticed, on the passenger side, there is a 5x7 gray beam on the floor. Here is a mod to remove this gray element, get a flatter floor and fill the gap on the front part of the floor. Here are the new needed elements. Be carefull the top black pin with a hole should be shifted by 1L on the right... sorry, I noticed this mistake when integrating it ^^

Porsche-frontfloor1.jpg

The final integration of the copy of this mod on my dummy chassis (with different colors, it is easier to observe the changes)

Porsche-frontfloor2.jpgPorsche-frontfloor3.jpg

Edited by DayWalker