tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

59 minutes ago, t12ung said:

So I tried adding this to the stock model over the weekend. Am I right in thinking that this little MOD only serves to stiffen the existing front suspension only and doesn't actually give it any extra ground clearance? I've not put the chassis on yet but it feels VERY stiff with the added

Yes, that's correct. It makes the suspension more stiff. If this mod makes the suspension too stiff, you could also try with a softer spring. In the stock build - with the body attached - the front suspension is compressed almost half a stud under the vehicle's own weight, leaving less than one stud ground clearance. If you would increase the ground clearance even further, the upper wishbones will be so steep that they will collide with the rims. That's why I used the full length of the suspension arms in my ultimate build. However that made the shocks in between the upper and lower suspension arms less effective, so in the ultimate version I did need the hard springs as additional springs.

Btw, another way to improve the ground clearance around the front bumper would be to stiffen the body around the luggage compartment, see this mod for details.

For the sake of clarity: The red Porsche shocks have hard springs, just like the more commonly used yellow shocks.

Here's my version of the GT3. My mods more focused around re-colouring a lot of the componentry.

All the blue pins were dyed, as were the red & cream gears, yellow axles.

I replaced majority of the grey bars with black. One of my biggest bug bears was the two grey L bars visible from the rear, which are now gone. 

On top of this, i've done:

- Community errata by Didumos69

- Headlamp moved down 1 pin, and 1 brick closer

- Tail lamp gaps closed

- Close gap on passenger tunnel in cockpit

- "Glass" added to Mirrors

- Walters Sticker

WP_20161112_22_04_16_Pro_zps6gdcqqjk.jpg

WP_20161118_23_26_02_Pro_zpspzf44qvk.jpg

WP_20161118_23_26_18_Pro_zpstket1fe9.jpg

WP_20161119_12_08_27_Pro_zpstwe8pwnu.jpg

WP_20161120_15_28_20_Pro_zpsnqdefpbl.jpg

WP_20161120_15_28_53_Pro_zpsvvt5ar0e.jpg

WP_20161120_15_29_12_Pro_zpscf7ojecq.jpg

WP_20161120_15_29_31_Pro_zpswq8itsch.jpg

Interesting and good looking.  I especially like the orange 1/2 bushes for the paddle shifters.  Question: when you say "dyed" - how or what did you use for the dye?

On 11/21/2016 at 10:40 PM, nerdsforprez said:

- how or what did you use for the dye?

Indeed - this has potential far beyond this thread and model :)

The RIT Dye Method. 

https://www.ritstudio.com/2015/04/09/how-to-dye-legos-with-new-rit-dye-more/

I ended using a stronger mix than what was is in that tutorial. She is at 8:1 dye mix, I was at or below 4:1

My version of this was a ceramic mug on my barbecue and a ball tea strainer for the pins and small parts, or a strainer for the axles. 

Get the mix simmering, then submerge for a minute or two. Then remove and check. If happy and not distorting, then dunk into cold water, otherwise back into the mug for more colour. 

Not everything dyes though.

I have a collection of warped liftarm's now. The Frame liftarms were the worse, warping with very little heat.

Oddly enough the thin liftarm's dyed ok. 

The blue 1/2 friction pins were also troublesome. They could still be fitted to liftarms, but warped enough that you couldn't clip parts to them (eg. serial plate or GT3 RS plate, solved with some superglue), but still fine for the hose connections. 

The single or double friction pins dyed really well. :wacko:

Worse colour to dye, Red. It doesn't take fully. 

And the best colour, the yellow axles of all things. *huh*

Edited by Boffin

@Didumos69 How did you get the Porsche to run easily in 1st gear? Mine can't. In 1st gear 1 revolution of the drive train drives 1,6 (20/12 * 16/16) rev of 2nd gear axles, 2,7 (20/12 * 20/12) rev of 3rd gear axles, and 5 (20/12 * 24/8) revs of 4th gear axles. Since they're all geared all, the torque power reduces significantly, so there will be little torque left to drive the engine.

3 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

@Didumos69 How did you get the Porsche to run easily in 1st gear? Mine can't. In 1st gear 1 revolution of the drive train drives 1,6 (20/12 * 16/16) rev of 2nd gear axles, 2,7 (20/12 * 20/12) rev of 3rd gear axles, and 5 (20/12 * 24/8) revs of 4th gear axles. Since they're all geared all, the torque power reduces significantly, so there will be little torque left to drive the engine.

I assume you have applied the errata. There must be something generating friction in your drivetrain, which gets most apparent in 1st gear when all unengaged axles need to rotate faster. My guess is that it is one of the unengaged axles or the engine. There should be so little friction that the drivetrain runs smooth in all gears. It's not easy to make all axles run smooithly. You have to make sure all individual axles run smooth and all red clutch gears have max play.

Something I usually do to locate the friction: I take of the wheels or put the RND-lever in neutral. With one hand I push the grey bevel gears in the H-frame manually to set the drivetrain in motion. Then, when the friction is most noticeable, I reduce the hand-power up until the point where the drivetrain halts. I keep pushing the grey bevel gear, but just not enough to put the drivetrain in motion. Now I check all potentially problematic axles and clutch gears with my other hand. Axles or gears that feel as if they are tied somehow or even clamped are likely suffering from friction directly. Axles that feel loose and have some play do not. I hope this helps.

Edited by Didumos69

Sorry if this has been posted before. Seems like the chinese clones are now doing color variations. Can't say I'd mind the white model...

From the few reviews I've read, people are saying the pieces are virtually indistinguishable, aside from not having the Lego logo. Of course, there is no way to check the durability of the materials and which materials are used in general (e.g. some sketchy lead based cheapness). 

I posted mostly because it's interesting to see that the clones are no longer only clones - previously they expanded this way in Creator and now it seems Technic as well. 

I wonder if some people will opt for these to get parts in officially unavailable colors. There is a great lot of new parts in Lime green and also quite a few new ones in white. 

@Huaojozu  @charlesw

It is against the site guidelines to discuss and to share these models on EB.

Bootlegs, Rip-Offs and Fakes: These manufacturers copy designs and minifigures from LEGO, other companies and even fans, to produce their own infringing products which they then sell, often at knock down prices. There are hundreds of names attached to these products and varied quality between them. We will no longer accept discussion and sharing of these products on Eurobricks. Most of these "brands" are facing legal cases and we have no interest in supporting them by providing a place for their criminal products to be seen.

It is against the site guidelines to discuss and to share these models on EB.

:thumbup:

... and I really do NOT want to discuss the guidelines.

But ... somehow I'm a bit disapointed, that the link to the picture above is gone, because it showed nice color schemes. Not as good as the renders from JunkStyleGio, showed before in this thread, but still nice. Specially the white one did it for me, because mine is white. Build from my own original Lego parts, except the painted curved 3x11 panels, without the great wheel arcs. It's still assembled and I will change the rims from black to red after Christmas, because I will get the Claas :thumbup: :sweet:.

Thanks for the picture that showed the three color variations of the Lego copy brand.

Thanks for not supporting copy brands!

Thanks for showing recolored original Lego parts, like above f.e.

Thanks for showing renders from Lego sets with impossible color variations, like in this thread before.

I'm pretty shure I can rebuild the Porsche with original parts, but not in orange and not having the original Set. Because I think we will get the wheel arcs and the curved 3x11 panel in better colors for MOCs in the next few years.

Thanks to Lego for supporting my AFOL satisfaction.

Edited by MegaRoi
Lego satisfies ME.

Totally agree with the guidelines, but the colorscheme were indeed quite nice and it's really a shame that lego didn't offer this model in only one color...a GT3 RS is a model where you can go really crazy on the color scheme (like any lambo for that matter).

Wow....you guys are coming up with some crazy mods!

On 13/12/2016 at 9:13 AM, MegaRoi said:

:thumbup:

... and I really do NOT want to discuss the guidelines.

But ... somehow I'm a bit disapointed, that the link to the picture above is gone, because it showed nice color schemes. Not as good as the renders from JunkStyleGio, showed before in this thread, but still nice. Specially the white one did it for me, because mine is white. Build from my own original Lego parts, except the painted curved 3x11 panels, without the great wheel arcs. It's still assembled and I will change the rims from black to red after Christmas, because I will get the Claas :thumbup: :sweet:.

Thanks for the picture that showed the three color variations of the Lego copy brand.

Thanks for not supporting copy brands!

Thanks for showing recolored original Lego parts, like above f.e.

Thanks for showing renders from Lego sets with impossible color variations, like in this thread before.

I'm pretty shure I can rebuild the Porsche with original parts, but not in orange and not having the original Set. Because I think we will get the wheel arcs and the curved 3x11 panel in better colors for MOCs in the next few years.

Thanks to Lego for supporting my AFOL satisfaction.

FYI>....the 2017 search ship will have those curved panels with white, have you seen the pics of the model?

Cool Cabrio! Great idea with the suspension. While I'm not sure if it's still a suspension ...

@Richard Dower

I'm not sure, if we talk about the same part. On the search ship there are 3x5 curved panels in white and we have it already in blue, yellow and black. We'll get it in grey and transparent with the BMW. But it's not used in the Porsche.

I was talking about the 3x11 curved panel, which we have in blue, light green, purple, orange in the Porsche and now dark blue at the search ship. Which is still not useful to build the Porsche in a different color.

So I think we have to wait for the next Supercar in 2017 for proper colors for new MOCs.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I made a small modification, while building my GT3.

Since what I really hate of this set are the elastics in the paddles, I hid them inside the mechanism of the original build. I hope you can see what I changed in the pictures below.

B04BD721-8BB7-4815-9246-1B55404BC1F8.JPG

I'm only allowed 102.4KB, so I cannot upload more images :sceptic:

11 hours ago, Kasse said:

I'm no fan of soft axles, so here's yet another take.. :classic:

Flickr

I do not really like looking at so many pinholes, but I like it nevertheless. To me - but that's personal - it looks more clean than the stock build. Maybe you could replace the orange liftarm in front of the front window with a black one to get a little more the illusion of a curved window. Wel done!

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I do not really like looking at so many pinholes, but I like it nevertheless. To me - but that's personal - it looks more clean than the stock build. Maybe you could replace the orange liftarm in front of the front window with a black one to get a little more the illusion of a curved window. Wel done!

Good idea, it sounds worth trying and it's easily done. Pinholes yeah, I guess we both like panels :classic:

Edited by Kasse
Gramma