tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

Where can I get instructions and parts list for all those amazing modifications. Like the different steering wheel assembly block, the ackermann steering, the improved ground clearance, the improved headlights, better working gearbox with block from 4th to 1st gear, etc. ...

Is there instructions available?

Didumos69 has made a well documented "Ultimately playable Porsche 911 GT3 RS" with a part list and a Lego Digital Designer file showing all the modifications he made. Apart from that, you need to read this topic and make choices about what you want to build since all mods are not compatibles with each other

Hi guys !

Here is another mod (aftre the inclined driving wheel, 90° lock, speed indicator, ackerman, removable body, bottom spoiler...). In fact, I wanted to prevent the 4R speeds, but the solutions I saw were not very well integrated in the car. Here, I propose a solution that is almost invisible !

Porsche_rear_1.jpg

It relies on a 2x1 plate with hook to get the position of the 3L gear shifter ^ ^. Then, everything fits hehind the lateral black flat panels ! The translation is 1L, and a Cross Axle 2M W. Snap W. Fric blocks the rotation of the speed system. Once integrated in the car, here is how it looks like (unlock and lock positions) :

Porsche_rear_2.jpgPorsche_rear_5.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to move all the gears and integrate the two 0.6 reductions for the speed indicator. On the following photo, this is how it looks from top:

Porsche_rear_3.jpg

and bottom :

Porsche_rear_4.jpg

Then, the final integration with the lateral panels looks like this (lock and unlock positions):

Porsche_rear_6.jpgPorsche_rear_7.jpg

... and I believe you noticed that the R and D positions do not correspond to the stickers... but to the real 911 GT3 RS ^ ^

Edited by DayWalker

Where can I get instructions and parts list for all those amazing modifications. Like the different steering wheel assembly block, the ackermann steering, the improved ground clearance, the improved headlights, better working gearbox with block from 4th to 1st gear, etc. ...

Working on it. Tonight will post a teaser.

This is another tip to add 2 black wippers (like the original 911 GTR3), still compatible with the removal of the body. The main changes are located on the left hand side of the windshield.

Porsche_fix_9.jpgPorsche_fix_10.jpg

and this is the result :

Porsche_fix_11.jpg

Hi DayWalker, the image link is dead, can you please fix it? Very interested in seeing how its been done :)

Hi DayWalker, the image link is dead, can you please fix it? Very interested in seeing how its been done :)

Done ^ ^

Didumos69 has made a well documented "Ultimately playable Porsche 911 GT3 RS" with a part list and a Lego Digital Designer file showing all the modifications he made. Apart from that, you need to read this topic and make choices about what you want to build since all mods are not compatibles with each other

Thanks for referring to this thread. Actually, the LXF-file shows how all MODs have been made compatible. I'm also maintaining a minimally playable version for which I have made instructions in terms of errata. These can be found here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137567&view=findpost&p=2612511.

Edited by Didumos69

Hi guys !

Here is another mod (aftre the inclined driving wheel, 90° lock, speed indicator, ackerman, removable body, bottom spoiler...). In fact, I wanted to prevent the 4R speeds, but the solutions I saw were not very well integrated in the car. Here, I propose a solution that is almost invisible !

It relies on a 2x1 plate with hook to get the position of the 3L gear shifter ^ ^. Then, everything fits hehind the lateral black flat panels ! The translation is 1L, and a Cross Axle 2M W. Snap W. Fric blocks the rotation of the speed system. Once integrated in the car, here is how it looks like (unlock and lock positions) :

Unfortunately, I had to move all the gears and integrate the two 0.6 reductions for the speed indicator. On the following photo, this is how it looks from top:

Then, the final integration with the lateral panels looks like this (lock and unlock positions):

... and I believe you noticed that the R and D positions do not correspond to the stickers... but to the real 911 GT3 RS ^ ^

Very interesting. If I understand correctly this still allows for shifting from 4th gear to neutral and back? Or did you fix that too?

The promissed teaser

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed? cid=D962FB1F7EA8EC01&resid=D962FB1F7EA8EC01%213087&authkey=AATDxoZ2CAS2PDc&em=2" width="476" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

The numbers in the overview sheet sure look promising! I'm really curious what you're going to come up with.

Very interesting. If I understand correctly this still allows for shifting from 4th gear to neutral and back? Or did you fix that too?

In fact, only 1st gear can be used for rear, and go to neutral. (ie, neutral is available only if the gear box is at position 1st). Should it be different ?

In fact, only 1st gear can be used for rear, and go to neutral. (ie, neutral is available only if the gear box is at position 1st). Should it be different ?

What I mean is in Drive - so not in Reverse - you can shift to neutral and back while in 4th gear. That should also not be possible. This is why I wasn't happy about the earlier suggested solutions.

The best approach would probably be to completely bypass the gearbox in reverse, but that would require the order to be engine -> d+n+r -> gearbox instead of engine -> gearbox -> d+n+r.

Edited by Didumos69

Ok, so with my solution, 4th->neutral is not possible. The only solution is 4th->3th, then 3th->2nd, and 2nd->1st, then, you can either go to neutral or reverse.

Alright. After several days tweaking the setup, I think I will stop at this RC MOD version for a while.

The entire transmission of set 42056 is... unfortunately taken out and displayed as static separate sub-model... because powering the rear wheel through all those gear train is impossible as brunojj said either in this thread or some other Porsche thread.

The setup is still the same as my previous posts: 2 BB to 2 IR receivers (set to the same channel) to 2 hard coupled L motors directly fed to rear differential. One IR controller (from 9398 set verbatim) controls this thing.

Gear ratio is currently 1:1.

- I tried L->20:12 (rear diff):20<-, but too slow to move at the beginning and too fast afterwards to be controllable by me in corners

- I tried L->12:20 (rear diff):12<-, slow at the beginning and remains slow afterwards to my liking

Short raw video from my iPhone, not edited to show that this thing can move reasonably fast and steers quite well (I used didumos's 'partial ackermann' steering solution and that somehow helps the turning capability a bit).

Ultimate tester is my 5yo daughter. She can navigate this kind of terrain with minimal crashing, so that is playable enough for now :).

Edited by stevenhalim

• Compact steering wheel column with inclined steering wheel

As many people noticed, the steering wheel column is not very nice, and the access of the steering whell is not easy. Here is a proposition (don't take the colors into account, everything can be black with the right lego elements) :

Porsche_volant_1.jpgPorsche_volant_2.jpg

Is there instructions and a parts list available for this modification?

This should be enough to build this mod :)

Porsche_volant_3.jpg

You may need to adjust the 6L axle, depending on the mod you've made on your own car ! You also need to replace few parts on the gearbox, but it is very easy !

Edited by DayWalker

I don’t think the following modifications need their own thread, heaven knows the Porsche has enough threads dedicated to it already. However, this is the first probably several posts on something that I have been planning for a while, and now I got the first shipment for my modifications.

14699658065_SPLASH.jpg

@didumos69 has done a great job with his ultimate playable version of 42056. Now I get to work on my ultimate displayable version. The repairs will not be exhaustive, just a few minor tweaks here and there that I think make the model look better. But the ultimate additions to the model….well, you likely already guessed it. To add LED lights……

This will be more difficult that perhaps it appears at first glance. I have done lights with several models and I think it is a lot of fun. Check out lights on the Arocs.

1440458949m_SPLASH.jpg

But planning where the lights go, sequence they are plugged in, tension, wire management, organization of power unit and additional output units, etc. all goes into a project like this. Like fishing, if the wires get too crossed and taut, they will not work properly. I love the lights I am working with, have used old ones on project in the past, but they are anything but robust. They really cannot be to be able to fit into some of the small places I will require them to go. They are very fragile and require lots of care. And planning. Unfortunately I can’t just plan and unplug at will if I don’t like something….. after having used these for quite some time I have figured each light has only (more or less) 4-5 plug/unplugs into the power or output unit before it becomes useless. The wires just really can’t take more than that (and this is even with the greatest precaution NOT to pull the wire, but pull from the base).

The quality of the photos may not be the greatest. I have to use a point-and-shoot camera and make-shift background for all these shots. I am on a business trip for several months and don’t have access to my regular photo equipment. But I hope to make the quality of the photos still pretty good……

Let the fun begin…..

14699658064_SPLASH.jpg

Gotcha :wink:

The cost of the project that I am planning will run 60-70$ USD. It is hard for me to keep track b/c I am using a lot of stuff that I already have..... but did have to order some new stuff.

In reality, if one wanted to go much cheaper they could. 2 lights for two headlights.... two lights for lower lights, and same for the back. This could be done for around half of what I am doing.

A quick update.... there will be multiple LEDs for most of the lights. Just like real... higher-end cars. Especially the back lights. That is why mine is so expensive. Kinda like this.

14700173251_DISPLAY.jpg

And for the orange lights I want to go for something like this....

14700153811_SPLASH.jpg

Unfortunately..... after playing around a lot today I am not sure I will be able to do that. The light is too focused. all I get is something that looks like this:

14700153822_SPLASH.jpg

Which I think looks really cheesy. I will keep trying. But if can't get things to look more like the top pic then I will go for lights (orange) in the interior and so far it really looks good. I am happy with it. Kinda like this

14700153823_DISPLAY.jpg

but a very light....subtle orange. Clashing with the black it looks really good. Now all I have to be able to do is get my hands on a camera that can actually accurately capture it.

Edited by nerdsforprez