tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

@nerdsforprez:

change the theme in LDD - View \ New themes \ LDD extended

there You can find the "missing" parts, only in red, so recoloring needed. :wink:

For people who made an ackerman mod, there is a very simple solution to double the front shocks : quite usefull since the front wheels are almost touching the body

I like the simplicity! But what I'm a bit affraid of is that the second shock will slightly dealign the suspension arms, because it only puts force on one side of the suspension arms. This doesn't need to be a problem if the suspension arms were mounted such that they were less sensitve for assymetric forces. Actually, I don't like the way the suspension arms are mounted in the stock model at all. The setup is really wobbly. It would be much better to have liftarms on each side of the suspension arm instead of only one in the middle. Or widen the suspension arms upto 3L with levers along the sides and then mount them between two liftarms. There is a reason behind the terms wishbone and A-arm :classic:.

I have not tried an Ackermann mod, but does that not limit the steering? I mean, it looks like the grey shock gets in the way of the wheel hub.

I think it should fit. Where the shock is mounted there was a 3L axle with end-stop sticking out taking more or less the same space. The hub needs the space above the lower mount of grey shock.

Edited by Didumos69

@nerdsforprez:

there You can find the "missing" parts, only in red, so recoloring needed. :wink:

You can actually change the color of all the parts to any other color in the palette menu (can't check the actual name right now). It's at the bottom of the window where all the parts can be found. But it will just change every part to that specific color, ever if it is not available in that color. So still not that useful :sceptic:

I think it should fit. Where the shock is mounted there was a 3L axle with end-stop sticking out taking more or less the same space. The hub needs the space above the lower mount of grey shock.

Ah, I did not think of that. You are right. Although that solution still uses some illegal connections with those 3l blue pins. The pins will be compressed by the red shock.

I just did this mod to the front axles to:

- Eliminate bump steer

- Improve ground clearance (also with body)

- Eliminate wobbly suspension arms

And I'm really happy with the result:

http://youtu.be/hzBsmUNvg-c

Using the full length of the suspension arms means they effectively have the same length as the steering rods, hence no bump steer. By using two shockabsorbers on each side the overall suspension resistance has increased, which gives a better ground clearance, also with body. And widening the suspencion arms to 3L and mounting them between 2 liftarms instead of to only one, completely removes the slack in the suspesnion arms. These changes also made space to gear up the rear HoG steering a bit by replacing the 20T/12T combination with a 24T/8T combination. That is convenient, because steering needs quite some force due to the weight of the whole model. This setup still has Ackermann geometry and fits within the space given by the stock body. The only thing I had to drop were my gear rack stoppers, so I will have to find another way to limit the steering angle. LXF-file can be found here.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

I will write a more detailed build report on the ultimately playable thread later.

EDIT: I might as well replace the outer shocks with the original red ones. I actually like the looks of these shocks sticking out of the upper suspension arm:

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I have not tried an Ackermann mod, but does that not limit the steering? I mean, it looks like the grey shock gets in the way of the wheel hub.

The black part where the direction and the fake brain are fixed can limit the steering if the fake brain and the direction are using the two sides.

I like the simplicity! But what I'm a bit affraid of is that the second shock will slightly dealign the suspension arms, because it only puts force on one side of the suspension arms.

You are right : that is why I left the redh shock in the center and the gray outside ^ ^. After using it, it dos not move at all... but I would prefer using all the length of the whisbones.

Edited by DayWalker

@nerdsforprez:

Thanks for the tip..... I guess I should be more transparent though.... I knew of all this but I work from remote locations all too often. Occasionally this means being away from an internet connection..... like in the instance of the mentioned posting...... this being the case I have not updated LDD for some time and therefore still lack many parts.....

I have changed a little bit my Ackerman version using the double shock of the previous post, and inforce the arms to limit slacks on the bottom wishbones.I also removed gears to reduce weight, used a toothed bar, and adjusted the default position of the geometry so that it is perfectily Ackerman with the body : as a result, the steering diameter is 154 cm !

Photos will wait a little bit, if any interested ^^

Therefore, the didumos69 solution is better than mine, since I necessary have bump steering

The only real test for my stronger front suspension with 4 shocks and Ackermann geometry was to finish Box 3 and 4. So I did and the ground clearance turns out very satisfying.

So far I used 361 extra parts and my current list of improvements now reads as (apart from the implemented fixes to reduce friction and getting the shifting mechanism to work):

- 4th to 1st gear block

- Hand of God steering

- Hand of God shifting

- Sturdy without body

- Geared up engine

- Dash gear indicator

- Ackermann steering

- Gear rack slider

- Secured wishbones

- Improved clearance

Edited by Didumos69

Great ! Consequently, I am sorry for the tests I made, apparently I was wrong !

No problem. I was actually glad you took the time to test it. I think the difference must have been that you're setup wasn't symmetric. By the way, I would still like to see photo's of your improved Ackermann setup. It could very well be that you use less or different parts, which may suite people better than my solution.

Edited by Didumos69

Here are few photos :

First, this is an overview :

Porsche_Ackermann_22.jpg

Then, details on the front building (rear side) :

Porsche_Ackermann_23.jpg

and perspective of the front side

Porsche_Ackermann_24.jpg

... and with the gears :

Porsche_Ackermann_25.jpg

Wishbones and arms are parallel, thanks to the dark gray 8L flat tile under the 11L dark gray beam, under the 2 4L toothed bars.

Porsche_Ackermann_26.jpg

And last, this is an overview of all elements :

Porsche_Ackermann_27.jpg

Edited by DayWalker

@DayWalker, thanks for sharing. I can clearly see the improvements compared to your fiirst version. Very nice to see how you optimized the height of the gear rack and how you got more stability in the gear rack and the lower wishbone.

And I couldn't help noticing you have an interesting approach to a little more bracing on top of the gearbox :wink:

Edited by Didumos69

In the stock build this could also be an easy way to integrate a second shock:

800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg

This is al there is to it:

800x450.jpg?a=1

Edited by Didumos69

I noticed the nose of the body is bending under its own weight. When looking at this closer I discovered there is not much structure keeping the section in front of the front axles in horizontal position. So I'm planning to add some stability to this section.

In this section:

800x450.jpg

I will replace the parts at the left with the parts at the right:

800x450.jpg

So it will look like this:

800x450.jpg

I didn't post this here yet I believe: I posted a new topic with a link to errata and a parts list for all 'miison-critical' MODs. Enjoy!

Finally finished my Porsche last Weekend. I've tried to fill the ugly gaps underneath the headlights. I also applied the taillight cover mod posted by efferman, but used only one liftarm on each side and additionally fixed them with a "+o" connector. Will update my post with a photo when i'm home this afternoon.

post-161468-0-33390700-1468828331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danee

Finally finished my Porsche last Weekend. I've tried to fill the ugly gaps underneath the headlights. I also applied the taillight cover mod posted by efferman (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2596596) but used only one liftarm on each side and additionally fixed them with a "+o" connector. Will update my post with a photo when i'm home this afternoon.

I can't find his tail light mod and your link brings me to beginning of the thread. Can you link the post?

Sorry for the dead link, just deleted it, efferman posted it again, thanks. So here are two pics of the back. The Panel is still connected at the black 3x3 liftarm with a black pinhole connector as efferman did it in his lxf file. Just put it one stud nearer to the center.

post-161468-0-93267700-1468861080_thumb.jpg

post-161468-0-14278200-1468861089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danee