tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

I just implemented your changes and it works, it simply works. :sweet:

That's good news! I'm glad it worked out fine. Also nice to see how the gearbox behaves when being motorized. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Didumos69

Now that I managed to let all gears rattle happily instead of moaning I did some extensive test drives with my son yesterday evening. With the HoG shifting that I added it's easy to shift gears while pushing the vehicle. While doing so, I still experienced very short double engagements while shifting. A very short moment of grinding gears that occurs only occasionaly and only while shifting. Luckily the double engagement disappears immediately after shifting because of the 90 degree limiter doing its job. My conclusion is that this behaviour is inherent to this type of sequential gearboxes; while shifting there is always a moment that two gears are 'semi'-engaged. So I can live with that.

However, as part of an earlier MOD I removed the white clutch gear. But to save my gears I thought I might have to reintroduce it to handle the short double engegements. But using the white clutch gear means adding 4 extra gears to the drive train and I'd rather don't go there. It would add friction even when it is not slipping. So I inserted another friction clutch with similar resistance. It's actually better because it has constant friction whereas the white clutch gear has a toggling resistance. But the biggest advantage is that I could insert this without any extra gears.

Funny side note: This a nice reintroduction of the pin joiner that was removed from the D+N+R-console as suggested by Blakbird.

800x450.jpg?a=1

800x450.jpg?a=1

Here's a video showing the clutch slipping:

Edited by Didumos69

Now that all gears rattle happily I actually start to enjoy my build. Here's a short video of the chassis being pushed along in first gear with the engine being geared up by 300%.

I thought it would be nice to summarize all friction reducing modifications I made to the drive train, just like I did with my 5-step procedure to get the shifting mechanism to work a few days ago.

Here we go:

And don't forget to ensure all axles and clutch gears have some play.

Enjoy!

Edited by Didumos69

I must admit, with all of these changes You guys - especially Didomus69 - provided within this short period (!!!), this set starts to appeal as a reasonable Ultimate set.

This clearly shows what can be done with a little passion, time and material. :thumbup:

And also this is the reason why I am even more disappointed in TLG for releasing it with so many flaw, for this price... although they have all the conditions. :hmpf_bad:

Hi guys !

This is my first post on this forum. Of course I have also bought this Porsche set, and I have tried to enhance it.

• Removable body

In order to easily remove the body, I believe you know the Jetro's MOD. However, I have added additionnal elements to ease the removal. First, I fixed the chairs on the body it self, by changing their fixation

Porsche_fix_4.jpgPorsche_fix_5.jpg

Then I added additionnal fixations on the body for the rigidity of the rear side of the car and the chassis when the body is present :

Porsche_fix_1.jpgPorsche_fix_2.jpgPorsche_fix_3.jpg

On the last picture, one may recognise the Didumos HOG, with a little difference : to be sure the vertical axis does not detach from the different gears, I used a blocking 5L long axis (ref 6055631) + 2L red axis. Then, the issue concerns the corners of the windshield : when removing the body, the two elements ref 6073231 are bothering and can not be quickly fixed on the chassis. Here is a simple solution (right hand side of the windshield)

Porsche_fix_6.jpgPorsche_fix_7.jpg

And the last issue is the left door since its top fixation can move. Here is a little mod using a 5L long axis (instead of the original 3L one) : this building can be reproduced on the right side ^^

Porsche_fix_8.jpg

• Gear Box (but Didumos69 solution is clearly better !)

I also tried different mechanism to fix the rotation of the gear box at 90°, but initially, I did not wanted any elastic in the center of the super car since their replacement is not very easy. Unfortunately, my solution is less compact and less smooth (finally, I have build the Didumos69 solution ^^) since I used a grey spring and removed the white clutch. Here are few photos :

Porsche_90_1.jpgPorsche_90_2.jpgPorsche_90_3.jpg

• Compact steering wheel column with inclined steering wheel

As many people noticed, the steering wheel column is not very nice, and the access of the steering whell is not easy. Here is a proposition (don't take the colors into account, everything can be black with the right lego elements) :

Porsche_volant_1.jpgPorsche_volant_2.jpg

Edited by DayWalker

These are some very cool and handy MODs. I will certainly apply some of them. Luckily, I still have to start with the body, haha. Thanks for sharing!

Everything is said about the Porsche, almost nothing left :wink: .. I filled in some gaps around the headlights and replaced the black 5x3 beams at the fenders, front lights are lowered a bit.

640x436.jpg640x376.jpg

I don´t claim this as an "improvement", all just a question of taste because the bodywork is considered as the best part of the car by everybody.

Edited by brunojj1

While the Porsche above looks almost red, I wanna show mine in white. As I don't have the set, I had to modify the beautiful wheel arcs and also use different colors, for the interior for example. It looks a bit strange, because the wheels are way to small and one stud to wide. But I'm very satisfied that I could finish it with my own parts.

image.jpeg

Hope you like it ...

Hope you like it ...

I like it, but your pic is way too big. Size limit for the site is 1024 wide. Can you embed a smaller version?

Did you paint the curved panels or have I missed something? :look:

I like the extra small panels in front of the headlights!

I like it, but your pic is way too big. Size limit for the site is 1024 wide. Can you embed a smaller version?

Sorry for that, I think I changed it.

Did you paint the curved panels or have I missed something? :look:

The curved panels are painted. I had them in purple, but I will never build anything in that color. And as you can see, they are still too bright. It's hard to get the same white color, I have to repaint them again

Thank you Jim for great moderation and your comment.

Sorry for that, I think I changed it.

You sure did, thanks!!

The curved panels are painted. I had them in purple, but I will never build anything in that color. And as you can see, they are still too bright. It's hard to get the same white color, I have to repaint them again

Thank you Jim for great moderation and your comment.

I really hope the curved panels will be available in white some day. I love them!!

This is another tip to add 2 black wippers (like the original 911 GTR3), still compatible with the removal of the body. The main changes are located on the left hand side of the windshield.

Porsche_fix_9.jpgPorsche_fix_10.jpg

and this is the result :

Porsche_fix_11.jpg

Edited by DayWalker

Everything is said about the Porsche, almost nothing left :wink: .. I filled in some gaps around the headlights and replaced the black 5x3 beams at the fenders, front lights are lowered a bit.

I don´t claim this as an "improvement", all just a question of taste because the bodywork is considered as the best part of the car by everybody.

Can you please detail how you add the 11946 and 11947

Thank you

Indeed interesting. As far as I can see you're not using the standard wheel hubs. How are you going to deal with the new rims not having axle holes? Apart from that, I like the concept. You could secure the perpendicular axle-pin connector holding the pivot ball-joint a little better by using a 4L axle with end-stop. In your second picture you can see it sliding off a little bit.

Ok thanks for the tip. That shows that I don't have the set yet. I didn't expect wheel hubs without axle holes.

That's pretty sweet efferman.

Back to a concept I had considering I routed a steering axle to the rear of the car already for my HOG, I started to look for a spot to house gearrack for rear wheel steering. Besides the entire rear suspension needing a redesign to accomodate steering obviously I need space for that crucial part around the diff. I think I found it.

This is a very rough version. I'd work on it some more, but my LDD keeps crashing and I have other stuff to do for the next couple of days that it might be better if somebody else took a crack at it. Things I would need to adjust were:

- Gear on the front steering needs to be bigger so the rear gets a small turning radius.

- Perhaps a rack with 8T gear at the rear.

- Compatible with dash HOG

- Compatible with other MODs already in place (Max' gearlock and the like)

- Need new connection point to fix the top of the engine to the rear of the car since current spot of rack uses the old connection point.

- Probably some other stuff I forgot.

If anybody wants to take a crack at it, here's the LDD, if not, I'll do it myself sometime next week.

Nice solution. I want to look into this one as well, but with a possibility to have both steering options with a gear selector. In the real one with high velocity it steers the same direction as the front wheels.

About Attika's fix to turn around the change-over-catches in the paddle-shifting-unit: I found out it is better to actually replace the change-over-catches with (+0)-liftarms. When you simply turn the catches around, the levers attached to the paddles may bump into the square backside of the catches when returning. This troubles the returning of the paddles. When you replace the catches with 2L (+0)-liftarms the paddles return easier.

I updated my 5-step procedure to get the shifting mechanism working properly.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

These are very fine and useful observations, thanks for this thorough investigation!

Covering axles running through open spaces completely with axle connectors or bushes is asking for friction.

I'm planning on working out an LDD of Box 1 with all these kind of adjustments.

This is once again an example of an easy to solve problem. They have given us a puzzle. I bet the original designers have made themselves a list of mistakes and are betting on when we solved all of them :wink:

Finished now the Box1 in MLCad. I first need to upload the missing parts not yet in the core part portfolio. Afterwards I will process all the mods from this blog-theme. My aim is to collect all MODs and put them in a kind of Porsch enhancements booklet.

Just to mention, it is very easy to add a central mirror, and folding bars to keep the trunk or the engine hood in the open position (usefull to expose the car)

Finished now the Box1 in MLCad. I first need to upload the missing parts not yet in the core part portfolio. Afterwards I will process all the mods from this blog-theme. My aim is to collect all MODs and put them in a kind of Porsch enhancements booklet.

That's good news! I think it would be nice to make a difference between 'must-have'-MODs and 'nice-to-have'-MODs. I have an LDD-file of Box 1. available in my Ultimately playable thread with all MODs I regard as 'must-have'. It contains groups showing all the differences: In each group there is a subgroup representing the old structure and the new structure. All new structures are embedded in the chassis and all old structures placed to the side of the chassis. By clicking on a subgroup you select all parts in a group. That way you can inspect the differences. Maybe this could also be of use to you. (Original designer of this file was JunkstyleGio, but I made quite some fixes.)

Besides the must-haves that I list in my Ultimately playable thread it contains HoG steering and a 4th to 1st gear block. I deliberately left out the reverse gear shifting block because it takes up a lot of space and still allows to shift from 4th gear to neutral and back.

1280x480.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I deliberately left out the reverse gear shifting block because it takes up a lot of space and still allows to shift from 4th gear to neutral and back.

The past week I looked at my version of Max' mod and noticed it could use 2 less liftarms for the same result and work with most of your rigid chassis mod. I also came up with a shorter version, but it takes the spot of your 90 degree limiter, which I like more. I also don't like the 4th to neutral thing as it isn't very authentic, but no idea how to improve upon the mod. Need a new location or removal of the 11x5 frame, which nobody wants since it will make the chassis weaker.