Miro78

UCS R2-D2 modification to R5-D4

Late last year when I took a photo of my 5 year old standing next to Cosplay replica R2-D2 and R5-D4 droids, I decided to modify a second 10225 set to R5-D4 specifications. Mostly the modifications are building a new R5-D4 head and some color swapping on the body. As I analyzed the changes from photos, I was surprised to see that R5-D4 still had quite a bit of blue left on him. I took this photo this morning, but I already noticed couple of things I need to change/add to him.

Update: Lego Digital Designer file of R5-D4 is now available via this download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ME1BfzxExrR1VGQ3FRemR2Y1U

26770922873_419cd5a71a_z.jpgR2-D2 and R5-D4 by Miro Dudas, on Flickr

Enjoy,

Miro

Edited by Miro78

Looks great! I hope you're bringing these to Star Wars Days at Legoland California this weekend. I'd like to see you fixed red's bad motivator. :)

Looks great! I hope you're bringing these to Star Wars Days at Legoland California this weekend. I'd like to see you fixed red's bad motivator. :)

Thanks. Yes, both astromechs along with scale matched yellow C-3PO will be coming. I'll try to build BB-8 to match scale, if I have enough parts. Sadly, I have used almost all of my white bricks on the giant Hoth, which I will bring as well. I'll post about it in coming days.

Very nice!

Thank you.

Awesome!

Did the guy who made chopper post instructions? because you should go for chopper too. Can never have to many droids.

Excellent work!! I'd like to do this as well... Any chance on some insight to the construction of the head?

Awesome!

Did the guy who made chopper post instructions? because you should go for chopper too. Can never have to many droids.

Yes, chopper from Star Wars Rebels animated series looks like a fun one to build. I'll look into it. It's hard to say no to builds that use dark orange color (one of my favorite Lego colors).

Great work Miro78, and.....

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow. Thank you. Was not expecting that. Quite honored.

Really nice. It looks better than R2-D2 in my opinion

Thank you. I was hesitant to how Red would turn out, but I agree. R5-D4's head looks better in Lego form, than the brick built dome R2 sports.

Excellent work!! I'd like to do this as well... Any chance on some insight to the construction of the head?

Yes, I plan on making an LDD file of the head. I also took notes on changes for the body brick swapping at each step, and I can write that up as well. I'll follow up when I have the LDD ready.

Nice! I like your take on a concave head.

Thanks. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Miro

Edited by Miro78

Just have seen this again on the Brickvault Youtube channel... an absolutely awsome model!

any news on the LDD file for the head/additional parts? :blush:

On 6/1/2016 at 7:23 AM, H_Solo said:

On 1/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, labanog said:

Hi Miro, excited to see if you have any new update on R2D2 mods :)

On 1/24/2017 at 9:02 AM, H_Solo said:

Just have seen this again on the Brickvault Youtube channel... an absolutely awsome model!

any news on the LDD file for the head/additional parts? :blush:

Hey guys. Sorry for the mass delay in response, I guess I was really busy. You can download the Lego Digital Designer of the UCS R2-D2 conversion to R5-D4 via the link below. I detached the head so that you can edit the file easier and only focus on the head parts list. The other conversions are re-coloring of the body on the front and back from white or dark blue to red. There are not changes to the legs recoloring, I know, I was surprised as well when comparing R2-D2 and R5-D4.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ME1BfzxExrR1VGQ3FRemR2Y1U

Let me know if there are any issues.

Miro

Thank you very much Miro, checkin it out and downloading it right now! Have a Merry Christmas to you and you family! best gift ever! hehe

On 5/31/2016 at 12:23 PM, Miro78 said:

Late last year when I took a photo of my 5 year old standing next to Cosplay replica R2-D2 and R5-D4 droids, I decided to modify a second 10225 set to R5-D4 specifications. Mostly the modifications are building a new R5-D4 head and some color swapping on the body. As I analyzed the changes from photos, I was surprised to see that R5-D4 still had quite a bit of blue left on him. I took this photo this morning, but I already noticed couple of things I need to change/add to him.

Update: Lego Digital Designer file of R5-D4 is now available via this download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ME1BfzxExrR1VGQ3FRemR2Y1U

26770922873_419cd5a71a_z.jpgR2-D2 and R5-D4 by Miro Dudas, on Flickr

Enjoy,

Miro

Hi Miro,

I know is being some time since your mod was published but I recently ended with a spare R2-D2 UCS that needed some replacements parts and looking for ideas I came across with this post. What better way to reuse the spare R2 than building your mod. It came through very nicely and is already set in display along with R2. I also found a UCS sticker type from some folks in UK and I'm just waiting for it to give it the final touch.

I did create an instruction manual just for the head using Stud.io, in case you agree I can share it with the rest of the forum here.

Once again, great build and thanks for sharing!

Greetings from Panamá!
Taro

Edited by TaroPTY

Good afternoon,

I found this topic recently and I wanted to have my own R5-D4 at home. 
I made it out of the new R2-D2. I took the design in this original post and modified it a bit. 
I have my own LXF file if anyone is interested. 
Also, I have made the sticker from a template I found in the forum. I have the Photoshop (PSD) file in case anyone is interested as well.
Any comments are welcome. I'm not particularly happy with the "neck" and I'm thinking of a redesign when I have the time.
Here's how it looks:

R5-D4_Front.jpg.101142ca14863c89d987d2e3f831f4f1.jpgR5-D4_Back.jpg.5702cf6db544eaea34fd28cdc254f113.jpg

Edited by gololo

On 2/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, gololo said:

Good afternoon,

I found this topic recently and I wanted to have my own R5-D4 at home. 
I made it out of the new R2-D2. I took the design in this original post and modified it a bit. 
I have my own LXF file if anyone is interested. 
Also, I have made the sticker from a template I found in the forum. I have the Photoshop (PSD) file in case anyone is interested as well.
Any comments are welcome. I'm not particularly happy with the "neck" and I'm thinking of a redesign when I have the time.
Here's how it looks:

R5-D4_Front.jpg.101142ca14863c89d987d2e3f831f4f1.jpgR5-D4_Back.jpg.5702cf6db544eaea34fd28cdc254f113.jpg

This is beautiful! I"ve been thinking about doing the exact same thing and now I really want to! Amazing! 

Would love the LXF file and PSD, if you dont mind sharing. All the best from Sweden!