azog

what ever happened to lego worlds?

On 12/1/2016 at 8:41 AM, gamejutzu said:

So this is the full game? That's actually really disappointing. The way the game is now, it feels cluttered and unorganized. There's a lack of content, besides co-op. I really thought we'd get something like a survival mode too. The game is pretty much the same as when I first saw gameplay of it (besides graphical improvements and a few organization tweaks). The way I see it, this game is far from completion.

I think it's important to note that when they did this game 20 years ago, you had a similar "build vertically with basic parts, and you can install a variety of props in your layout that aren't brick-built in-engine"

Buuuuuut...

You could build a stack of parts that moves with a hinge, and program start position, range, and speed. You could put a steering wheel on a pile of parts and it became a land vehicle. You could put a joystick on a pile of parts and it became an air vehicle.

LEGO Worlds, I looked up LEGO Creator to verify my memories, and I found these for goodness sake!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QEtoipLIZv8

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zhRlNjCudz8

Then 5 years ago in Lego Universe, you could get all into the special parts and SNOT and send your models into the servers to bake into custom props.

I wish when the lego worlds engine was developed, they'd made an allowance for, obviously something with a complexity cap, but something like these features.

Maybe a plugin in Lego Worlds that could receive custom props from an additional "Lego Worlds Kiln" software suite. You'd get a build tool like in lego universe. You'd have a blank figure to claim a seat for an "enter vehicle" interaction. You could place a little "operating range" shadow and map hinge reactions to a button that prompts when you're there  (like a mailbox or door that pops open when you stand in front of it and press "A", or an elevator that lifts when you step on).

You could select a part or group of parts and label it "climbable surface". You could take some tiles and label them "slippery". You could have a little "spark" that you stick on a connection you want to operate as a hinge, axle, or slider. You could imbue a part or group of parts with a "hazard" marker to show what's a sword edge, the face of a hammer, a buzzsaw. Is it fire or just seaweed? You could, like the hinge spark, give a spot where it splits. label parts around that to trigger the split. maybe that's the weakness on your mech's sword arm, or a way to detach a life boat.

You could select a place on your model that launches a projectile, and the speed of the launch. The projectile could be a model that has any of the bells and whistles itself.

You could imbue parts with a particle effect so that projectile has a fire out the back, that buzzsaw makes sparks, that snorkel makes bubbles, that chimney smokes. That puppy drools waterfalls.

Does a model sink or float? does it break? With fists or does it take an explosive?

Does it operate on it's own? how does it move when it's relaxing? what makes it react if it's not?

You could have a model that's a snake with hinges in the middle, minds it's own business chasing it's tail. if you step into an "operating range" in front of it's face, it triggers a lunge animation with a jaw hinge. all the parts around the jaw are labeled a hazard so you take damage, but maybe you can snap off the teeth with a punch. maybe you can grab the tongue and that triggers a reaction where it slithers off whimpering.

You could make a factory with a smoking chimney that has a big button. that button is a blinking light. there's a prompt to touch it and it drops a slow projectile which falls onto a "slippery" track and falls into a pile off the end of that. you named it "enormous chocolate chip cookie".

Then you could make a truck, that drives like a truck. At the push of a button it transforms to a new operating mode, where legs unfold and a cannon sprouts out of the top. that cannon fires a ball which lands and splits into little greedy brick built goblins, with a seeker behavior. These goblins go straight for an object called "enormous chocolate chip cookie". these goblins are immune to damage that isn't from something called "goblin whacker"

Back in the factory there's a wall with a ladder behind it. standing in front of the wall triggers a "read the sign" "in case of emergency, break glass". the wall is labeled breakable, the ladder is labeled climbable. theres a turret with a minifigure seat at the top - guess what the turret shoots.

When you've given your model the behaviors you want, you bake it in the program and it becomes a prop, a building, a vehicle, a creature, a robot, a drawbridge. doesn't really matter. But it locks into one piece. or 10 pieces connected on some hinges, but the 10 pieces were each baked together out of 45 lego pieces which now behave manageably, and do something that becomes a simple thing always works the same, from a few simple options that made anything possible - and then you can port it in for play however you just set it up.

And that is what Lego Worlds is missing.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

12 hours ago, SpiderSpaceman said:

I wish when the lego worlds engine was developed, they'd made an allowance for, obviously something with a complexity cap, but something like these features.

Maybe a plugin in Lego Worlds that could receive custom props from an additional "Lego Worlds Kiln" software suite. You'd get a build tool like in lego universe. You'd have a blank figure to claim a seat for an "enter vehicle" interaction. You could place a little "operating range" shadow and map hinge reactions to a button that prompts when you're there  (like a mailbox or door that pops open when you stand in front of it and press "A", or an elevator that lifts when you step on).

You could select a part or group of parts and label it "climbable surface". You could take some tiles and label them "slippery". You could have a little "spark" that you stick on a connection you want to operate as a hinge, axle, or slider. You could imbue a part or group of parts with a "hazard" marker to show what's a sword edge, the face of a hammer, a buzzsaw. Is it fire or just seaweed? You could, like the hinge spark, give a spot where it splits. label parts around that to trigger the split.

You could select a place on your model that launches a projectile, and the speed of the launch. The projectile could be a model that has any of the bells and whistles itself.

You could imbue parts with a particle effect so that projectile has a fire out the back, that buzzsaw makes sparks, that snorkel makes bubbles, that chimney smokes. That puppy drools waterfalls.

Does a model sink or float? does it break? With fists or does it take an explosive?

Does it operate on it's own? how does it move when it's relaxing? what makes it react if it's not?

And that is what Lego Worlds is missing.

These are some very good ideas, and you're really describing the creativity of Lego in a way I never could.

But the game already has Lego building. You shouldn't have to buy or download add-ons just to build properly when you should have been in the first place. That's just not right. And, there is no complexity cap for Lego. Kids don't do things like SNOT or motorized Technic builds anyways, so they simply wouldn't use those things. Just like kids don't really use redstone other complicated stuff in Minecraft

Really, the best case scenario is that the "full" game will come and be the way it is now, but with no bugs and whatnot. And it will still continue to hand out "updates" that will make the game better, like miscellaneous bricks (like rope), axels, "effects" (triggering things, making hazards) and projectiles. It could also implement different game modes and less harsh borders between biomes (you go directly from desert to tundra; and nothing to smooth out this gap). 

I really want good things to happen for this game, I simply cannot believe it will all end here. Otherwise, it will (in my opinion) be one of the most disappointing Lego games I've known.

Edited by gamejutzu

Am I the only one who actualy cares for this game? :P

Speaking of our Early Access players. I promised you a little something as a token thank you for your support during what has been an incredible experience for us. So with that in-mind I can share that all Early Access players will be receiving an unique in-game hat for the character customiser, and also be receiving the LEGO® Worlds Soundtrack at no extra charge.

The press says it's MARCH 7th! It will have better more intuitive building (finally)!
And there is some codes already in 2017 sets - I got one in Ruina roller from nexo! I wonder if they will finnaly make FRIENDSFIGS playable, as they are already in game files!

I still care! There just isn't too much to talk about until the full release. Also, I'm super hyped for that soundtrack: from day one I've been hoping they'd release one!

There is going to be a lego agents DLC on release exclusively for PS4. But it will come to other platforms after a 90 days period.

tumblr_inline_okguudlfZw1tvw28y_500.png

5 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

There is going to be a lego agents DLC on release exclusively for PS4. But it will come to other platforms after a 90 days period.

tumblr_inline_okguudlfZw1tvw28y_500.png

Wow, nice! I had read about that but the initial press release was vague as to whether these were the original Lego Agents, Ultra Agents, or even the Alpha Team-esque Spy from the CMFs. I wouldn't necessarily have minded any of those others but ultimately I'm glad it's the former!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Wow, nice! I had read about that but the initial press release was vague as to whether these were the original Lego Agents, Ultra Agents, or even the Alpha Team-esque Spy from the CMFs. I wouldn't necessarily have minded any of those others but ultimately I'm glad it's the former!

Personally I'm very glad that they took the "original" agents because they were the first lego theme that really catched my interest.

The picture is from a dev diary on tumblr which only got released there for some reason.

Having Ultra Agents just wouldn't feel right in this game. There's so many broad and general characters like "cavewoman" or "scientist", and they look like your stereotypical cave-person or scientist. The original looks more like a general agent than the Ultra Agents figures do. It's in the name, they are Ultra Agents. Having an established character rather than just a profession would not feel right as well, so "agent" instead of "Jack Fury" could fit better.

3 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Having Ultra Agents just wouldn't feel right in this game. There's so many broad and general characters like "cavewoman" or "scientist", and they look like your stereotypical cave-person or scientist. The original looks more like a general agent than the Ultra Agents figures do. It's in the name, they are Ultra Agents. Having an established character rather than just a profession would not feel right as well, so "agent" instead of "Jack Fury" could fit better.

I'd actually almost think the opposite—the black-suited agents of Ultra Agents, Alpha Team, or the CMF Spy in many ways seem a lot more archetypal in terms of appearance than the vibrant blue and green suits of the classic Agents theme. And the classic Agents had names as well—this one in particular is Agent Chase. Again, not complaining, since the original Agents is one of my all-time favorite themes.

Sweet! I always really loved the Agents theme (I'd probably rank it as one of my all-time favorites!), so getting to play as them in this game is super awesome!

Interesting. It will be interesting having exclusive DLC's for this game. I am also very interested in the lego worlds soundtrack, along with the easier building techniques. 

On 2/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, Lyichir said:

I'd actually almost think the opposite—the black-suited agents of Ultra Agents, Alpha Team, or the CMF Spy in many ways seem a lot more archetypal in terms of appearance than the vibrant blue and green suits of the classic Agents theme. And the classic Agents had names as well—this one in particular is Agent Chase. Again, not complaining, since the original Agents is one of my all-time favorite themes.

I guess it depends on who exactly you use; i'd prefer the neon green and black jumpsuits over technology blistered all around a minifugure, like say Caila Phoenix.

Edited by gamejutzu

I still like this game. I stopped for a while 'cause it ran like crap on my computer, but it works way better now.

Anyway, why I came here: you know what I want? I want the zombie shark from the Silent Mary set in here. The zombie Pirate is one of my favorite characters, and I would love some fitting transportation for him.

So after seeing few first gameplays I can say the game changed. A LOT. I can't decide if for better or for worse. Still, can't wait to play!

And there are BADGERS!

At some point if this topic is really going to remain the default one for Lego Worlds discussion, I think the title ought to be changed. After all, Lego Worlds will soon go from being an obscure Steam Early Access game to being a full-fledged multi-platform release.

15 hours ago, Lyichir said:

At some point if this topic is really going to remain the default one for Lego Worlds discussion, I think the title ought to be changed. After all, Lego Worlds will soon go from being an obscure Steam Early Access game to being a full-fledged multi-platform release.

Agreed - it seems that this is pretty much "Lego Worlds Discussion," so a vhnage would be great.

Anyway, using the 2008 Agents builds and characters is an interesting choice, but this game has included such an eclectic collection of new stuff, old stuff, and stuff that doesn't even exist that it doesn't feel too out of place.

Yeah we need to change the title of this discussion. 

Yeah I watched some of the videos as well of the new game play and I am honestly astonished for how much different it is! Now there is almost a story built in instead of just a sandbox game. 

Hey can somebody who's playing on pc put up a pic of the early adopter bonus item? I actually have the game on steam but don't have a properly powered windows desktop, so I'm picking up the PS4 edition this evening. I'm just curious what I'm missing out on while I'm running around being a secret agent. 

Also, are there any more current sets with unlock codes included besides the nexo knights prisoner carriage?

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

According to aothors PC will get Agents DLC for free next month.
I played 1.0 PC version and I must say I like it. Especialy all new creatures, better controlls and... a solid yet creative story mode!

It BEGS for creative option though.

Every news outlet is saying the game is released but UK retailers still say March 10th...I'm confused as it says 7th is the world wide release date

Edited by Whovastron

On 3/7/2017 at 11:18 AM, SpiderSpaceman said:

Hey can somebody who's playing on pc put up a pic of the early adopter bonus item? I actually have the game on steam but don't have a properly powered windows desktop, so I'm picking up the PS4 edition this evening. I'm just curious what I'm missing out on while I'm running around being a secret agent. 

Also, are there any more current sets with unlock codes included besides the nexo knights prisoner carriage?

For PC you do get a free music soundtrack and a ball cap that says Tt on it so you character can wear it around in game.  

It's out of Early Access on PC, and getting absolutely slammed on Steam because they removed the sandbox mode that everyone was enjoying.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

It's out of Early Access on PC, and getting absolutely slammed on Steam because they removed the sandbox mode that everyone was enjoying.

I think the sandbox is still there you just have to unlock it first. 

Ok I spend too much time in this game already and I havent even start building :)
I am really impresed, love the designs, worlds and better building. Buut there is still one big stupid thing - controls. They are clearly for pad and some choices on keyboard make no sense (Tab opens menu, but not closes).
Still VERY addicting game, there is a lot to do and stuff to see.
I hope they will add creative as well, but isn't that what LDD is?