42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I couldn't stop myself from buying a copy last weekend. Last night, I finished box 3 and I would like to share some observations/opinions:

+ To me, it is a must buy for any Technic fan who likes flagship-like models (if you can afford it). It is big, heavy and striking model and provides a long, satisfying build

+ Although it's a bit flawed (my gearbox also stops at non-90 degree phases) the gearbox is a nice mechanism and really invites shifting

+ The new parts, especially the wheels and wheel arches are nice additions and really make this model.

- I was a bit surprised by the amount of force required to shift up or down. It feels unnatural for a Lego model.

- After finishing the gearbox and the "steering column module", the build gets a bit uneventful (don't want to use the word boring here). The Arocs for example offered more intriguing constructions spread out over the whole build process

Another point which strikes me is that this scale requires a lot more bracing and structure than I have seen so far in official models. A huge part of the parts are needed to make a structure able to support this model. The door sills and parts of the chassis for example are massive with numerous beams in different orientations running side by side.

So far, the following modifications were made during the build: the "Blakbird step 5 mod", reducing colour vomit and some changes to reduce the friction in the gear train.

After finishing, I will look at more extensive modifications.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Even though I really don't care for this set: Jim you did an excellent job on the review... Maybe TLG should consider these "reviews" prior to releasing a model to make sure everything is okay... :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Anyways, thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have finished mine on sunday. Weeks ago I built only chassis from online instructions from my free parts. Now when I finished the original model (with MODs) I must say that it is great.

Negatives:

- original ratchet system for gear shifting was not the best decision

so I did not build this module and I'm working on other solution

- simple front suspension without Ackerman steering

Positives:

- great build techniques used

I like that body is divided from chassis so I can anytime take the body out and have access to chassis and all the function. This is also negative for RC version because additional beams increase the total weight of model

- designer left free spaces for additional modules/function. There is place for servo or HoG, also if you take out fake engine you can easily add PF motor and LiPo battery.

- the overall shapes are just beautiful

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Ordered mine on day June 1 and just got an email from Lego stating that a shipping issue has caused a big delay and I won't see the set unit late August. Kind of disappointed but on the other hand most of my building is in the winters here in the states.

Size comparison: a4cb2f492077673.jpg

Lovely! I've been waiting for this picture. Can you provide some shot from another angles, like from the front, side, or above? Also, in case you also have a 8070, I'd love to see 8070 compared with those 3.

Thanks a lot! The Porsche completely dwarfs the 42039, and makes 42000 looks boney like a tree branch.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

These renders are awesome! I really like the solution for the wheel arches and I love the different color schemes! Well done :thumbup:

@JunkstyleGio

Wow! Great pictures, and very good to see the size comparison. Specially with the 24 Hours Racer, you can see how big the Porsche is in reality.

I also like your wheel arcs, except they would be way too wide compared to the original. I also don't get how you did it. I think they will only work in LDD? Can you show me a close up of the arcs and how they are attached to the body?

Beside that, it would be wonderful if the color schemes could be real. The Martini Porsche looks awesome. Thank you very much for the renders.

I know already that your rendering work is excelent buddy :thumbup::wink: , but to see all this models togehter is superB :wub:

With the slightly wider "thiumbler"wheels i had to make slighty wider arches...

27344119203_e5cf057930_b.jpg

I think it all will fit in the real model. (But I am still waiting for it..)

Nice arches, great renderings!

Its good to see the diverent comparisons.

Thanks.

I've been wondering how the gears inside the paddle shift column behave when:

- The paddle is pulled, but the gear mode can't change because of the 4th-1st gear block.

- There is transmission initiated through the bottom axle, from outside the paddle shift column. I mean, normally the transmission will be initiated from inside the column when the paddle is pulled, and I've already seen how the gears inside behave in that case. What I would like to know is the reverse situation.

If anyone with the set can make some clips to demonstrate those two cases I'd much appreciate!

I've been wondering how the gears inside the paddle shift column behave when:

- The paddle is pulled, but the gear mode can't change because of the 4th-1st gear block.

- There is transmission initiated through the bottom axle, from outside the paddle shift column. I mean, normally the transmission will be initiated from inside the column when the paddle is pulled, and I've already seen how the gears inside behave in that case. What I would like to know is the reverse situation.

If anyone with the set can make some clips to demonstrate those two cases I'd much appreciate!

When the shifter runs into 4th-to-1st gear block: Depends on how the red change-over-catches have been placed, or replaced: Out-of-the-box, the change-over-catches won't allow slipping, so you can't pull the trigger. When you turn around the change-over-catches - as suggested by Attika - the knob gear will eventually slip along the change-over-catches when you pull the paddles hard. Finally, when you replace the change-over-catches with (+0)-liftarms - as I did in my playable versions - the knob gears will slip even more easily. I could do with less resistance coming from the catch, because I have far less friction in the shifting train than the out-of-the-box version. Main reason for this is that I replaced the 2 friction-generating 8t gears with a 90-degree-limiter.

When you drive the gear shifting axle from outside the paddle shifter unit: This will require some torque to overcome the friction-generating 8t gears in the out-of-the-box situation, but the shifter unit can handle the rotating axle. Actually, nothing hapens inside the unit, apart from the vertically placed axle and the side knob gears rotating. The chosen change-over-catches configuration does not influence this (EDIT: I didn't try this for the out-of-the-box situation. It might be that in that case the change-over-catches block one of the side knob gears, depending on the rotation direction). It's because of this free rotation that I have been able to add HoG shifting to my playable version. Another prerequisite for that is the replacement of the friction-generating 8t gears with a 90-degree-limiter.

This video shows the HoG-shifting - and dashboard shifting - and while these are used the vertically placed axle inside the paddle shifter unit rotates along, without causing any problems. Also after rotating the axle from outside the unit, the unit will continue to operate as before when it is used again.

Edited by Didumos69

27715519312_6a1a0f5e3a_c.jpg

For some reason the porsche looks "off" in all those pics, something with the roofline doesnt sit right with me

That RBR livery 42000 though :wub: Love the tumbler tires on it as well, shame they are still quite expensive, despite them showing up in the dragster set.

The best review of 42056 there is. This should be the standard for all reviewers.

http://rebrickable.com/blog/2016/review-lego-42056-porsche-911-GT3-RS

That's a great review indeed! Of course, writing such a review takes time, which is something we usually lack when dealing with a deadline. Nonetheless, great work by Nathan, the schematics make a nice addition :thumbup:

It's in the early hours and i've come to the end of box three.

27454304803_62124e9be9_c.jpg

So far (with the help of 5 modifications) the model looks awesome, works like a charme, gives hours of building-fun.

Again Jim: Thanks for the review.

I noticed that the technique used to secure the roof and the seats in the Porsche were the same as those in 8070. Then I realized both were designed by Uwe Wabra! :laugh:

So far (with the help of 5 modifications) the model looks awesome, works like a charme, gives hours of building-fun.

Again Jim: Thanks for the review.

Which 5 mods exactly have you applied?