42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Dear all Technic experts, do you think the tube in step 63 also needed to be replaced by the bush or 1/2 bush? Does the tube in step 63 increase friction?

No, it will not.

No, it will not.

I'd concur with that. Its actually a step I stopped at looked at steps ahead and played with it a bit to make sure there was no issue with it last night. There is no rub interference on it at all.

Nice review, thank you.

Unfortunately, Sariel's YouTube review shows too many technical limitations with both the gearbox and unsophisticated suspension, for this to be on my must have list.

I'd have swapped the fancy Apple-esque box for better suspension geometry and a gearbox that works smoothly.

Jim, thank you for the superb review. I personally loved the nod to former Top Gear presenter and legend Jeremy Clarkson. I'm waiting for my set to arrive and thanks to you, my model will shift correctly sequentially.

Speaking of Jeremy Clarkson, this is quite hilarious:

But what does this have to do with the Porsche? Look closely to what's on the table behind Hammond. :laugh:

Hi,

first of all, I have to thank Jim for his great review and all the work and time he spended. Most informative an meanest awaited reviews ever!

Last night I finished my Lego Porsche 911 GT3RS from my own parts - in white!

I'm a slow, but precise builder, I love building. I'm checking the functions during building quite often, adjust every rotating axle to reduce the slack and even look for the correct orientation of pins, bushes and 2L axle connectors. I've learned, that a precise build satisfies with a durable working set or MOC.

What shall I say? My gearbox and shifting is working perfect in each gear with a nice noticeable click. So what have I done?

I used Blackbird's mod on step 5. Eliminating the friction!

I corrected the gear order as mentioned in the review. Impressive pointing out.

I used the normal 3L driving ring clutch with the white 3L axle connector (please excuse, if I use the wrong terms, I hope I can make it clear). While there are only 2 clips on opposite side of the driving ring, I sanded two opposite sides of the 3L axle connector. Now I have an adjustable clutch ;) depending how it's mounted on the white 3L. In one orientation it behaves like the "old" 3L clutch with clicks, rotating the driving ring by 90 degrees it behaves like the "new" smooth clutch.

At that stage I finetuned the gearbox to reduce the friction in it. I always do that after bracing.

I let the shifting mechanism like it supposed to be, no modifications. What a great ingenious masterpiece!

Then comes step 173, and I have the 90 degree offset to step 121 as mentioned from dimudos69 and attika before. You can see it easily in the instructions, so I build it that way.

I added the HOG steering, and checked the correct orientation of each axle in that complex. I ended up with a steering wheel rotating the same way in each direction and a perfect middle of steering and front wheels.

Then comes the first roller and shifting tests with balloon tires! Looks ridiculous, but I don't have others that would do the job. The shifting was about 95% durable and precise without the body.

Next step was the time robbing phase of searching parts, finding out which piece is visible and needs to be replaced with a white one. And also to model the wheel arcs. I made it with beams, so they look a bit blocky.

Now, with more than 99% of the steps from the BI done - and some modifications - I ended up with my own working butugly female red(interior) and white(body) Lego Porsche 911GT3 RS! With green bended panels on the hood and roof, and substituted new 7x3 panels with #3 and #4, or build with Liftarms. Looks a bit different sometimes, but you can get the shape. And I will color my pink parts soon, while I already have three racing carts. Also still missing one white panel #21 and #22 and four white flex axles.

What a great set! What an hilarious build!! GOOD JOB TLG!!!

Too bad, I think I found another mistake in the BI.

On the driver side, you can find a 3L axle pin connector behind the door, that needs to be pushed in to "marriage" the body to the shifting block. This one is missing on the right side, that results in a misbehavior of that door, because it bends the lower flex part of the windscreen each time you open it. I added that pinhole, using a (oo+) and a 5L axle instead of 4L to install it.

Beside my version is really ugly compared to the original 42056, I have to resume that it's working proper and durable. And it's big! I can feel three years of development in the whole set, because everything fits absolutely tight and seems to be well thought. It's an Ultimate set and 16+ is the correct age, because you have to build very careful.

For me, 42056 is a real ultimate Lego (!) Supercar as it should be! I've enjoyed the build a lot and the model itself looks gorgeous.

Be aware to look at the attached file, there is a really high risk of eye damage.

Robert

Please excuse my limited English and wrong use of special terms.

post-140180-0-32205700-1465463011_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MegaRoi

Please excuse the really bad quality of the photos ... in my last post it was necessary, believe me.

I made another photo. Here you can see two solutions for my substitution for the new 7x3 bended panel. And you can also see my added (oo+) part in yellow to give you a better impression what I meant to stiffen the right door better. Usually it is LBG.

post-140180-0-29739000-1465466583.jpeg

This lego porsche seems more pr than technic to me, I'm losing my interest to buy one more and more

Thanks for the great review!

I ordered the set online but on a wim decided to check out my local Lego Shop in San Diego. They just unboxed several units as I arrived. The shipment came in that morning

Edited by camaudio

Getting back to the simple steering provided in this set I just wanted to share the steering in one of my projects. It is 19 studs wide and after some weeks of trials I managed to get this steering in the this small size. This is already more sophisticated than the one in the Porsche. The last 2 weeks I was cruising the internet to get good pictures of the steering of the real Porsche. I already have several ideas to process how to improve this one for the Lego version.

To summarize isn't this actually what Lego is about, keep on building and improving? In that light TLG gave a great first step to work on, I love the set for that.post-120369-0-35671400-1465590329_thumb.jpg

Can anyone with the set describe how big the Porsche box is, comparing with the flagship box (Arocs box, Volvo box, Mobile Crane box...)?

Can anyone with the set describe how big the Porsche box is, comparing with the flagship box (Arocs box, Volvo box, Mobile Crane box...)?

47 x 37,5 x 15 cm. Smaller than those you've listed

47 x 37,5 x 15 cm. Smaller than those you've listed

After seeing it in the shop yeah it is quiet small at least compared to the Arocs which it was sitting next to.

General vibe from that Gizmodo replies section seems to be people who simply hate Technic Lego and/or wish it was in line with the VW, Mini Cooper etc. The Porsche has plenty of flaws to complain about, but their complaints are more a matter of taste I guess.

I remember Lipko (or Paul Boratko?) posting in some thread here that at a meeting the crowd considered his awesome Technic creations not to be "real Lego" and he was shunned for it. This Gizmodo crowd seems to be the same crowd.

the crowd considered his awesome Technic creations not to be "real Lego" and he was shunned for it. This Gizmodo crowd seems to be the same crowd.

As far as I know, the people on this forum who create mocs on par with or above the Porsche, use Lego parts only. So what about that makes his creations "not real lego"? I wonder :laugh:

General vibe from that Gizmodo replies section seems to be people who simply hate Technic Lego and/or wish it was in line with the VW, Mini Cooper etc. The Porsche has plenty of flaws to complain about, but their complaints are more a matter of taste I guess.

I remember Lipko (or Paul Boratko?) posting in some thread here that at a meeting the crowd considered his awesome Technic creations not to be "real Lego" and he was shunned for it. This Gizmodo crowd seems to be the same crowd.

I agree with you. I'm not really a fan of the people who frequent jalopnik/gizmodo.

As far as I know, the people on this forum who create mocs on par with or above the Porsche, use Lego parts only. So what about that makes his creations "not real lego"? I wonder :laugh:

Yes, they use 100% Lego parts, but the Gizmodo public doesn't consider it Lego since the pieces are very different from system Lego. Perhaps in the studded era, they considered the Technic line to be Lego, but since studless parts became the standard, they don't see the Lego link I guess.

Maybe there is another reason why the price of this set is higher than normal.

First time there is an additional official app other than building instruction app :O.

There is this app (Google Play/App Store) where you can scan a somewhat black background against the orange of 42056 set, then a 3D model of this Porsche appear :O.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/technic/apps/lego-technic-ultimate-app

There are 5 buttons, all virtual :O:

1. Opening luggage area and doors,

2. Opening engine door,

3. Showing special id,

4. Steering demo,

5. Gearbox demo.

Nothing much that you can do with it though and I prefer to play with the actual thing...