42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Finally received mine today. Ordered in the Lego AU site on the 1st June, backordered/delayed till 1st July, received 19th July.

As far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Step 5 shifter friction is the same.

Step 268 gearbox is the same.

No obvious extra pages or paperwork.

I will be making these changes and hopefully it all works out anyway.

My thoughts on the gear sequence, which I have not tested:

A jamming will only happen if a gear on the left side of the gearbox and a gear on the right engage at the same time.

When you shift through the Lego designed gearbox 1,3,2,4 vs the mod gearbox 1,2,3,4 could the gear in use swap sides less often thereby less opportunities to jam?

Edit: I realised overnight that the way the shifters work the changing of gears alternates side regardless of mod. Ah well.

Edited by bmerigan

As far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Step 5 shifter friction is the same.

Step 268 gearbox is the same.

No obvious extra pages or paperwork.

The thing that has changed, and the reason of the delay, is the packaging. Nothing else has been modified but that. The boxes inside have been re-arranged so that the book is not in the middle of it all. And a cardboard piece has been inserted to further protect the boxes.

When you shift through the Lego designed gearbox 1,3,2,4 vs the mod gearbox 1,2,3,4 could the gear in use swap sides less often thereby less opportunities to jam?

In either case - 1, 3, 2, 4 or 1, 2, 3, 4 - the gear sequence will follow a right-left-right-left or left-right-left-right pattern. Otherwise one of the orange paddles to the side of the gearbox would have to make a 180-degree step, which is clearly not the case. So the double engagement risk won't change because of this mod. It has also been suggested that the number of gears involved in transferring torque differs for the two different sequences. This is also not correct. The number of gears involved is exactly the same for each gear, regardless of the chosen gear sequence.

None of the two mods you are referring to will improve the gear shifting mechanism. The step 5 mod will slightly reduce friction but still won't take the severe friction out of the gearbox itself.

I strongly advice you to follow these guidelines: [MOD] 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Community-driven Errata.

Edited by Didumos69

wow, I read the review, read "fix me" polls around and I have to say I think this is a bit of a flop.

It is impressive set, surly.

But what is actually impressive? Size, topic, colour.... that is all.

Maybe expectation and hype was too much.

My thoughts (based on expectations), it is nowhere near ultimate.

- Gearbox does not work the way it should.

sure it can be fixed. But that is the point, I feel like it has to be fixed. I am OK with improvments or modification of official set. I am not ok with fixing design flaws. As a customer, that is not acceptable.

- Do not trow stones at me, but it should look better. Lego even designed new panels, and still gaps are huge. Shape is not correct (it is too flat, front overhang is way to long)

- There is no ride height.

- Zero playability (LEGO is still a toy - even for me as AFOL - IMO, if you cannot play with it, if it does not tickle your inner child, it is not good)

- Rear wheel steering is missing (8880 had it),real 911 GT3 RS has it

- Real GT3 RS does not have only 4speed gearbox (I understand even 4 speed gearbox is space consuming in LEGO, but...)

Cool set? Sure.

Ultimate? Not.

- Price is the killer (for me). For 300Eur I would expect that to be better and I can't afford to justify its flaws.

I would rather spend my 300Eur on other sets and MOC something or wait for 2017, because after amazing sets in 2016, 2017 can only be better.

Or can it? Isn't bar too high? Maybe I am spoiled already :-)

The thing that has changed, and the reason of the delay, is the packaging. Nothing else has been modified but that. The boxes inside have been re-arranged so that the book is not in the middle of it all. And a cardboard piece has been inserted to further protect the boxes.

Ah yes - well spotted.

I got my set today in a local wholesale. i paid 239 Euro for this set. Let's see if something is different in my version.

Just picked this set up and noticed something interesting. Not sure which Porsche thread to put this in so feel free to move.

I was reading the front of the manual and on page 34 they quote Wolfgang Reifs, the plant manager at Porsche as saying that "“It’s a special car and it takes a number of unique processes to ensure that the 2700 larger individual elements that go into the 911 GT3 RS come precisely together,”

This got me thinking, the part count of the set is 2704. Do you think this is intentional to try and keep the part count the same as Porsche uses, at least based off of the larger element count? Another element of authenticity? Conspiracy theory maybe :tongue: ?

That is what it was supposed to be sold for in my opinion.

Preach!

Just picked this set up and noticed something interesting. Not sure which Porsche thread to put this in so feel free to move.

I was reading the front of the manual and on page 34 they quote Wolfgang Reifs, the plant manager at Porsche as saying that "“It’s a special car and it takes a number of unique processes to ensure that the 2700 larger individual elements that go into the 911 GT3 RS come precisely together,”

This got me thinking, the part count of the set is 2704. Do you think this is intentional to try and keep the part count the same as Porsche uses, at least based off of the larger element count? Another element of authenticity? Conspiracy theory maybe :tongue: ?

you might be onto something here......

I also was wondering about the 2700 pieces in the real car when I saw it in the digital instructions... What a coincidence!

It's just another good marketing tactics that is meant to add to the feeling of having bought a model that comes very close to the real thing. They simply chose the level of granularity that gave a number close to the number of parts included in the set. If the set had consisted of 3000 parts they would have chosen a slightly different level of granularity to come close to that number.

At the finest level a car consists of many more parts: http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/kids/faq/d/01/04/

Edited by Didumos69

Hi Jim

great review and thanks for taking the time and the attention to detail

I'm a Porsche fan and will be buying this model

One thing I point out and perhaps can remove one item of disappointment you had

Porsche's PASM (suspension system) is not about ride height.

While the suspension on the GT3RS is fully adjustable and can adjust ride height this is done manually. PASM on the other hand is an electronic feature and it actually changes the way the dampers (shock absorbers) react, It stiffens the suspension in sport mode and relaxes it a little in normal mode.

With my limited knowledge of Lego I believe the only way you could replicate PASM is by changing the springs on the shock absorbers and this isn't what PASM does it actually changes the oil/fluid ports within the damper changing the speed with which oil in the damper can move from chamber to chamber.

I ordered my kit today and look forward to assembly

regards

Mike

Edited by modoz

Hi Mike,

You are probably right about PASM, but it does have front ride height adjustment. Or is that only on the Carerra?

28501452481_bcf8de905d_b.jpg

Now that Philo has completed the LDraw model, I was able to do this:

800x600.jpg

@Blakbird

Wow, what a great picture! I really love your renders, but this one made it directly to my desktop. Thank you very much.

I found something interesting: Top Gear Magazine recently visited LEGO HQ in Billund, where they talked with 42056 set designer Uwe Wabra. Among other interesting things, this intrigued me most:

The model was variously too long, the roof needed to be more curved, the proportions finessed, and Porsche even vetoed the inclusion of the GT3’s rearsteer that Uwe had managed to replicate. On the other hand, the team agreed to leave out the cooling fans, so that the model’s amazing working engine could be enjoyed properly. “It’s one of the important things we talk to our partners about: the abstraction level. Car designers talk in great detail, obsess over a beautiful curve they’ve created, then we show them something that’s a straight line and has holes in it. But this is a Lego Technic Porsche, not a model of a 911 GT3 RS. A certain leap of imagination is required.”

You can find complete article here:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/how-build-supercar-lego-way#11

I found something interesting: Top Gear Magazine recently visited LEGO HQ in Billund, where they talked with 42056 set designer Uwe Wabra. Among other interesting things, this intrigued me most:

<em>You can find complete article here:

http://www.topgear.c...car-lego-way#11

Uwe is a mastermind, I have no doubt that he was able to recreate the rear steering modes perfectly as it is in the real car. It's interesting that Porsche decided against it though..

Edit : I seriously love how he did the headlight on the prototype thats second from the left.

Edit 2 : Look at the tread on the tires of the one thats second from the right *oh2*:wub: . So much want!!!

10legomagaugust2016.jpg?itok=2Vd_RZDt

Edited by sm1995

I found that article on Top Gear myself, and found it much more informative than many other articles I had seen previously. Worth a read!

However, I did wonder why some of those decisions were made, especially with all the fans disappointed that the car has no rear steering!

Also, given how little of the engine can actually be seen, I might have rather seen working fans!

Also, given how little of the engine can actually be seen, I might have rather seen working fans!

By little you mean....nothing. I agree with you, working fans would have been the better option.

And why, omg, why veto the rear wheel steering?!?! :sadnew:

Thanks for the article. I will read it and update my review.

^ Exactly. I always find it strange when someone on this forum roughly criticizes TLG designers not putting this or that function into the model. I'm sure they could easily stand the function competition with the best MOCers in the world but they have to deal with special boundaries and with higher quality requirements. When there is a function left out from a model sure there is good reason for doing so (even instruction comes fom Porsche HQ). On the other hand TLG could improve it's communication when there is a fault with the model that is evident to everyone else.

Edited by Interceptor

So can we lessen some complaints directed toward TLG now

Definitely!

But fair is fair; TLG releases the set, not Porsche. So when you release a set without rear wheel steering, you can expect comments, even though it wasn't your own decision. That's the way the cookie crumbles. For a 300 bucks "UCS" set you simply expect more than this.

I'm glad the people at CLAAS were less reluctant :wink:

So can we lessen some complaints directed toward TLG now

^ Exactly. I always find it strange when someone on this forum roughly criticizes TLG designers not putting this or that function into the model. I'm sure they could easily stand the function competition with the best MOCers in the world but they have to deal with special boundaries and with higher quality requirements. When there is a function left out from a model sure there is good reason for doing so (even instruction comes fom Porsche HQ). On the other hand TLG could improve it's communication when there is a fault with the model that is evident to everyone else.

No useless bashing at TLG and no ignorant praising like in the Top Gear article here at the expert forum, I´d like rather try to find a realistic perspective. The myth of secrecy is being blown away and that´s a good thing. This superficial TG article (the writer can´t be a Lego nerd) delivers very deep and interesting insights in the design process. Now it´s more understandable why and how the stepchild of such marriage has become what it is. Also it becomes clear how a modern day premium product can generate incredibly high sales numbers – stick together the names of 2 megabrands and create a big hype around it, no matter what´s inside. When I was a student 15 years ago, I´ve learned in economic class in an example that it can be part of the marketing strategy (not philosophy!) if the Porsche factory sometimes releases a certain number of cars with e.g. flawed engines inside in times of supply bottlenecks – later guarantee issues with customers taken into account…

TLG might have communicated more and better about whole Porsche issues. Labeling the set "Ultimate" (and that came from TLG not customers/fans community) sets expectations to nothing less then perfection.