42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Not sure the Porsche pricing is higher than "normal" - check out the pricing and availability thread :sweet:

As for the comments on the Gizmodo page.... there really does seem to be differences between Technic builders and more regular "system" builders. At face value one seems to be concerned with function and the other with artistic appearance. Fortunately, LEGO encompasses both. Unfortunate for them, however, they don't seem to realize it.....

I just downloaded the new "Ultimate app" from the Technic web page. Instructions say to download and print the postcard from lego.com/technic to use it, but I can't find any such postcard. Anyone know where it is?

I just downloaded the new "Ultimate app" from the Technic web page. Instructions say to download and print the postcard from lego.com/technic to use it, but I can't find any such postcard. Anyone know where it is?

Hi @Blakbird,

The instruction can be more helpful by giving a link to a usable "postcard" file to be printed, I am also puzzled for a while before finding the correct picture.

I have tested that the main picture shown in http://www.lego.com/en-sg/technic/, i.e. this one below, can work with the ultimate app, you can try pointing your phone camera on this picture below using that ultimate app.

But of course if you point your camera to computer screen like that, the 3D object will not look nice, that's why they ask us to print this picture and put it on the table, so that we will see the 3D object top-down realistically.

I think the real 42056 front box art should also work, that is, no need to print the postcard, just put your 42056 box on the table and view it with this app.

If this is the case, then it is a good marketing strategy for future set release, you can download an app, point to box art in a Lego shop, you can see 3D model of the box content popping up in front of you :O, and then you decide to buy :O...

The app works like a QR code scanner, but this time it looks for orange car-shaped object behind black dotted background, so there must be some kind of "code" in this box art picture.

A simple black background with orange oval shaped object won't work.

porsche_mainstage_opt.jpg?l.r2=1476644835http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/technic/-/media/franchises/technic%202014/home/may2016/porsche_mainstage_opt.jpg?l.r2=1476644835

Update to my previous post: Lego has launched several other apps for Technic set before, e.g. the pull back racer set, but the one that pops up 3D model like this is the first if I am not wrong.

Edited by stevenhalim

The app works like a QR code scanner, but this time it looks for orange car-shaped object behind black dotted background, so there must be some kind of "code" in this box art picture.

A simple black background with orange oval shaped object won't work.

It does not work by some sort of "code" in the image of the Lego Porsche, but it works by image recognition. There are many ways to do it, but generally it will recognize areas in a picture with high contrast. So the outline of the bright Porsche against the dark background can be recognized fairly easily.

Jim, thank you for the superb review. I personally loved the nod to former Top Gear presenter and legend Jeremy Clarkson. I'm waiting for my set to arrive and thanks to you, my model will shift correctly sequentially.

Thanks. I figured the nod to Top Gear was appropriate for this set :wink:

Funny thing; I have been on a Holiday for two weeks and I have returned today. First thing I thought when I was reunited with the Porsche...."Wow, that thing is impressive (huge)". Writing a review makes you look at a set differently, but at first sight I still think this set is a Must Have for every Technic fan.

Funny thing; I have been on a Holiday for two weeks and I have returned today. First thing I thought when I was reunited with the Porsche...."Wow, that thing is impressive (huge)". Writing a review makes you look at a set differently, but at first sight I still think this set is a Must Have for every Technic fan.

Indeed funny how these things can change. I personally would never have believed I would actually fall for a supercar set. I'm much more into rough cars than into supercars, but I have been dragged into the speculation thread and the Porsche got a hold on me. So I ended up buying this set with the idea to build it once, make my own judgement and then use it as a parts donor for another project. But now I find myself dedicated to making this set ultimately playable. I simply can't resist the urge to make it right.

Speaking of playability, for those that do not usually modify their sets it might still be worthwhile to take a look at a short list of essential and simple modifications that is being maintained (by Kumbbl)) in the OP of the Mods and Improvements thread. As for the gear shifting mechanism I would also like to mention a simple 5-step procedure I put together to make the mechanism backlash proof and avoid multiple engaged gears. This might go a little further, but it cetainly adds to playability :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Yes Didumos69... It's called "Lego mania" :)

Max

Yes, I'm affraid I have been contaminated :wink:

(I even believed I would build it and take it apart immediately, so it would never see daylight, somehow the idea appealed to me, but I,m affraid I have to admit it's already on display while still under construction :wink:)

Edited by Didumos69

Speaking of playability, for those that do not usually modify their sets it might still be worthwhile to take a look at a short list of essential and simple modifications that is being maintained (by Kumbbl)) in the OP of the Mods and Improvements thread. As for the gear shifting mechanism I would also like to mention a simple 5-step procedure I put together to make the mechanism backlash proof and avoid multiple engaged gears. This might go a little further, but it cetainly adds to playability :wink:.

well done! I have updated my summary of essential MODs and added your latest 5-step-procedure: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133688&st=475#entry2579973

The overview in the first posting of the MODs thread is not maintained by myself but by the threadstarter tripletschiee...maybe he is willing to update again his first posting...

well done! I have updated my summary of essential MODs and added your latest 5-step-procedure: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133688&st=475#entry2579973

The overview in the first posting of the MODs thread is not maintained by myself but by the threadstarter tripletschiee...maybe he is willing to update again his first posting...

Thanks!

When the number of MODs grows bigger I think it would be nice to have 3 MOD-categories: MODs that are essential, MODs that add to playability and MODs that add to authenticity. But that's for later. I will suggest this to the thread starter when it becomes opportune :wink:

Edited by Didumos69

i hope this is the right thread, i really need your help.

I'm on my way to loose my mind:

My 2nd gear works only in one direction, here two videos:

problem:

working:

trying to turn it by hand (in 2nd gear) i noticed the following:

in the left line of 16 tooth gears (see picture below) only the downmost gear is turnable with suitable torque. any gear above it produces a vastly higher resistance.

HBiWEMR.jpg

i can't wrap my head around this problem, does anyone have an idea what i've done wrong?

[EDIT:] i hope this is the right thread, please tell me if i'm wrong

Edited by schraubedrin

in the left line of 16 tooth gears (see picture below) only the downmost gear is turnable with suitable torque. any gear above it produces a vastly higher resistance.

So this is propably why it doesn'r run smooth in second gear. All individual axles should have some play and also - especially - the red clutch gears should rotate freely. I always agitate each axle and clutch gear a little to give it some play.

I will be posting an alternative axle scheme for the drivetrain in the MODs and Improvements thread later tonight. That should also help reducing friction.

Edited by Didumos69

All individual axles should have some play and also - especially - the red clutch gears should rotate freely. I always agitate each axle and clutch gear a little to give it some play.

Yes that i'm quite aware of. All gears have axial play in any direction, i can rotate any gear very lightly. I guess if that wasn't the case, gears 1,3 and 4 wouldn't run as smoothly as they do.

[EDIT:] what baffles me the most is that 2nd gear has a 1:1 gear ratio between motor and differantial input. So there shouldn'd be any torque differences between input and output

Also, the 3rd Gear has quite a comparable "gear path" but doesn't have any problems

Edited by schraubedrin

Yes that i'm quite aware of. All gears have axial play in any direction, i can rotate any gear very lightly. I guess if that wasn't the case, gears 1,3 and 4 wouldn't run as smoothly as they do.

[EDIT:] what baffles me the most is that 2nd gear has a 1:1 gear ratio between motor and differantial input. So there shouldn'd be any torque differences between input and output

Also, the 3rd Gear has quite a comparable "gear path" but doesn't have any problems

Also in my case 2nd gear has more friction when driven by differential than when driven by engine axle. Still nothing drastic, but there is a difference. I can't explain why. Yet...

Sure, it would be the simplest solution for me to have mounted something wrongly. I'm kind of hoping it too :laugh:

However, here's a (very bad) video:

(Video as a link, the gear grinding is not for the faint of heart :grin:)

Sure, it would be the simplest solution for me to have mounted something wrongly. I'm kind of hoping it too :laugh:

However, here's a (very bad) video:

(Video as a link, the gear grinding is not for the faint of heart :grin:)

This last red clutch gear you are testing appears to be completely stuck! Is the 13L liftarm correctly mounted? The 3L pin with pin hole to which the liftarm is connected might be slightly rotated. Can't think of anything else.

Hi, I have a quick question.

If we directly attach a motor to the differential gear (which directly connect to the rear wheels, as you showed in the video), does gear 1, 2, 3 and 4 will affect the wheel rotation speed?

Edited by garymak

This last red clutch gear you are testing appears to be completely stuck! Is the 13L liftarm correctly mounted?

Yes, that's exactly what i meant. depending on the gear used in this line there's an extreme jump in turning resistance.

You can see that it's not stuck, because the first grey gear worked flawlessly.

It's really crazy, i can turn two adjacent 16 tooth gears with my fingers and as soon as i apply more torque to the wrong one the whole drivetrain "locks up" (it still turns but either incredible slowly or with a really high torque).

The whole thing just is paradoxical to me.

If we directly attach a motor to the differential gear (which directly connect to the rear wheels, as you showed in the video), does gear 1, 2, 3 and 4 will affect the wheel rotation speed?

Nope, because the Wheelspeed is determined by the differential speed :wink:

(this might also be an error in sariel's review :blush: )

This is done to mimic pushing the car and see if the gearbox can drive the engine. Apparently not in 2nd gear, in this build.

It's really crazy, i can turn two adjacent 16 tooth gears with my fingers and as soon as i apply more torque to the wrong one the whole drivetrain "locks up" (it still turns but either incredible slowly or with a really high torque).

The whole thing just is paradoxical to me.

One a side note, I see you used the 5 step procedure to make the gearbox work. It appears to me that the shifting mechanism works just fine or isn't that the case? Just being curious, I didn't try with a motor myself.

Edited by CopMike

If this is the case, then it is a good marketing strategy for future set release, you can download an app, point to box art in a Lego shop, you can see 3D model of the box content popping up in front of you :O, and then you decide to buy :O...

Update to my previous post: Lego has launched several other apps for Technic set before, e.g. the pull back racer set, but the one that pops up 3D model like this is the first if I am not wrong.

Actually, none of this is new. Lego stores have had little kiosks that display 3d models of sets based on box image for a long time. But, the interactive parts are new, but I find that to be more of a gimmick than anything.

One a side note, I see you used the 5 step procedure to make the gearbox work. It appears to me that the shifting mechanism works just fine or isn't that the case? Just being curious, I didn't try with a motor myself.

I did the Step 5 procedure and implemented your brilliant 90° indexer. I never have any gears double engaging (well expect during gear change :grin: )

Everything works quite well, if you look closely you might notice that i tested the motor in reverse-gear, when the second set of bevel gears is engaged.

Its because everything else works so nice that i'm so confused. :wacko:

Cool!

But I will move it to the Review Topic :wink: