42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Saw this review earlier.. quite strange:

What the hell?! Why would they do that? May be a bad set, but definitely doesn't deserve that.

what a bullcrap... idiots should not be supported by vid clicks....

I know!!...sigh. I reported it anyway.

People are going to click it because no one is describing whats going on....

Some new subscription channel with not many views put it up to hopefully make some $$$ by destroying things. Course so happens this is their first video. The link is the speed build of the model followed by destruction by axe, sledge hammer, and even cutters. There is a quick video on their channel that just shows the destruction of the vehicle. Such a shame but you'd be suprised how many people will watch this for like destroy an Xbox, Playstation, iPhone, iPad, etc. Reason why people watch it and they get into the millions of views per video = some cash.

Edited by deathman20

They'll have 100,000 subscribers in a year making videos like this..

I blame AFOL with popular youtube channels who have made videos of themselves smashing and dropping built models onto the ground for giving them ideas.. The more their videos are shared, the more subscribers they'll get..

It's all a shock value tactic.. Which sadly is no different than what our own beloved media uses to make money..

Edited by Paul Boratko

They'll have 100,000 subscribers in a year making videos like this..

I blame AFOL with popular youtube channels who have made videos of themselves smashing and dropping built models onto the ground for giving them ideas.. The more their videos are shared, the more subscribers they'll get..

It's all a shock value tactic.. Which sadly is no different than what our own beloved media uses to make money..

Well you can say the same about tech channels that torture or destroy thousands of dollars of phones at a time.. sometimes it's entertaining.. but that's if it's only using really high speed cameras, like I remember a channel that dropped the UCS SSD and filmed it on a rig that was rotating at a high speed, or some of the stuff that Fullmag releases... though it's usually the shock and awe of using some badass or massive gun on a target filmed at high speed. Though I guess nearly anything filmed at high speed is fun to watch.

Though the title of this video is misleading, I'm not sure if it's worth it to report the video, as it isn't too misleading, but it's missing the And destruction part at the end.

I guess someone else can go waste their money and time building stuff to destroy it.... well if this set is a limited release, there's one less out there, so your recently acquired investment just went up in worth.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Well you can say the same about tech channels that torture or destroy thousands of dollars of phones at a time.. sometimes it's entertaining.. but that's if it's only using really high speed cameras, like I remember a channel that dropped the UCS SSD and filmed it on a rig that was rotating at a high speed, or some of the stuff that Fullmag releases... though it's usually the shock and awe of using some badass or massive gun on a target filmed at high speed. Though I guess nearly anything filmed at high speed is fun to watch.

Though the title of this video is misleading, I'm not sure if it's worth it to report the video, as it isn't too misleading, but it's missing the And destruction part at the end.

I guess someone else can go waste their money and time building stuff to destroy it.... well if this set is a limited release, there's one less out there, so your recently acquired investment just went up in worth.

I used to watch a series of videos on Youtube called "Will it Blend?" which was basically a scientist looking guy putting various items into an industrial strength blender and chopping them up.. The vids were actually pretty cool.. This one is a bit more disturbing when you see the individuals doing the destruction.. :laugh: Of course what they are doing is perfectly legal, so unless they are using some copywright music or video, reporting them is unnecessary..

Edited by Paul Boratko

I used to watch a series of videos on Youtube called "Will it Blend?" which was basically a scientist looking guy putting various items in an industrial strength blender and chopping them up.. The vids were actually pretty cool.. This one is a bit more disturbing when you see the individuals doing the destruction.. :laugh: Of course what they are doing is perfectly legal, so unless they are using some copywright music or video, reporting them is unnecessary..

I remember watching those videos too, though I sort of doubted what the results were of some of the phones were when the blender was finished... recommend the video to Lego as how disappointed the community is with what they hyped it to be, the term "ultimate" is too misleading. I guess someone took it to heart that this set was a major waste of their money, and were let down by the lack of functionality, as they probably got a 8880 as a kid and expected something on par or better. :laugh:

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

OH MY GOD!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM!!! I WOULD HAVE GLADLY TAKEN THOSE PARTS BEFORE THEY DESTROYED THEM!

... I see that there are some 8 tooth gears in the Porsche mechanism which means (as shown in some of the videos) that some backlash has been introdused and therefore there is not the full 90 degree rotation in the gear selectors...

My impression is that the 8 tooth gears are not used for transferring torque. One of them is attached to an axle pin connetcor with friction to reduce backlash. But maybe there are more 8 tooth gears that I didn't see...

Edited by Didumos69

My impression is that the 8 tooth gears are not used for transferring torque. One of them is attached to an axle pin connetcor with friction to reduce backlash. But maybe there are more 8 tooth gears that I didn't see...

You are right.

I looked at the BI (I don't own the model... Yet) and there are no gears in the gearshifting chain. The only two 8 tooth gears are used to give the system some friction in order to avoid backlash.

Good news for German fans: the LEGO Technic Porsche set is available at Porsche Online-Shop ... same price and you can order a couple of sets. Delivery is within 5 days says Porsche.http://shop2.porsche...go-technic.pddsDidn't check if the shop works in UK or US as well ...
Bad news! I called the Porsche Service Hotline this morning and they told me that this set is not in stock. The homepage doesn't show us this information. The employee looked deeper in their system and there she could see that nothing is in stock. She tries to get an effective date for me and will send me an email as soon as she has the information. So the estiminated 5 days for shipping are just a standard text.

--> Got an email: They've got no estimated shipping date at the moment, because this set has such a high demand. I should look up for it in the next days. Now they've updated their product page, too. You can't place an order for it anymore. It now says "currently unavailable" and you only can sign up for an email notification as soon as it will be available again.

So still waiting for it :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Danee

well, up to date this is my interim concusion about 42056 Porsche:

- one of the best looking supercar - regardless by TLG or by MOCer

- out of the box too expensive because too many issues preventing it from working

BUT with the following MODs there is another story:

1. Blakbirds Step-5-MOD (http://www.eurobrick...75#entry2575969): Fixes the probably strongest issue, the way too much friction in the drive train preventing the whole model from working - fixes a mission critical issue
  2. Attikas change-over-catches-fix (http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2579365): Fixes the probably second strongest issue, the double engaging issue which blocks the whole drive train - fixes a mission critical issue and makes gear switching quite 100% reliable. Probably this is enough to make the shifting satisfying and reliable - but in addition you can add optionally this 5-step-procedure (developed by Didumos69) to make the gear shifting 100% save for sure: http://www.eurobrick...c=133743&st=250
  3. supertechnicmans fix for the infinite gear shifting issue (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2577440): This issue is not mission critical but annoying
  4. Paul Boratkos fix for the wrong gear sequence (see Jim review in the first posting which explains the solution or see there: http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2576387): This issue is not mission critical but annoying. A sequential gearbox shoud change gears in 1 -> 2 --> 3 --> 4
  5. Didumos69' fix for the missing HOG (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2581074): the steering wheel inside the cabin is quite unreachable for a male-hand... so this is not really mission critical but at least very annoying. So this fix adds great value to playability and it is well braced and well integrated so it does not pollute the great look of the car
  6. Max supercars fix for the 4R problem (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2578360 - or a slightly better integrated version of Max' idea - made by Appie: http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2581443): This is not an issue at all but a very unrealistic implementation of a gearbox. This fix makes the whole gearbox way more realistic
  7. Jetros MOD for easy unmounting/remounting the bodywork (http://www.eurobrick...3): Not an issue but enhances the value of the model a lot because only without bodywork all the inner workings can be watched.

costs:

1. 2 LBG bushes --> 0€

2. no additonal parts --> 0€ - with the optional additonal MODs (s.a.) about 30 ct

3. 1 2x4 liftarm --> 5ct

4. no additional parts --> 0€

5. probably not more than 2 - 3€ for needed parts --> 2,5€

6. probably not more than 1€ for the needed parts --> 1€

7. some pins with bush --> 20ct

So lets round down to 5€ - which is just 5% of the retail prize.

So for more or less NO additional costs you get

- an incredible good looking car with some really useful new parts for forthcoming supercar MOCs

- IMHO a 100% reliable working and very realistic (4D+N+R where R is only possible if in first gear) sequential gearbox with nifty paddle shifting --> there are not many 100% reliable working seq. gearboxes out there if any (e.g. Sheepos are very interesting designs but are not fully reliable and need a lot of fine tuning) - for me the limitation to just 4 gears is not critical...

- a model with reasonable playability (HOG) and possibility to demonstrate the features (unmounting the bodywork).

Until this MOD-state the 42056 is IMHO already worth the very high price of 300€ (without any discount which you will probably get by sellers like Amazon) and results in a very satisfying model. So i would call these 7 MODs the essential MODs which should and could be applied by every owner.

And i'm very confident that in the near future there will be some MODs which will eliminate the remaining (but surely not serious) issue of no proper front axle layout (no Ackermann etc.). Then the whole car can already compete with the best supercar MOCs out there, at least IMHO.

All features on top (e.g. RWS connected to the gear-selection) will be nice to have and would raise the bar higher for supercars...

Interim conclusion: out of the box the model is really bad, at least it misses accurate and carefull QA... but now there are no-cost-MODs which turn the model in a very good supercar...and which will be the basis (at least its parts) of some wonderful supercar MOCs designed by the usual suspects ;-)

Just my 2ct

Edited by Kumbbl

Thank you very much and to all contributors! I will consider all of these and remember page 20 of this thread :wink:

1. Blakbirds Step-5-MOD (http://www.eurobrick...75#entry2575969): Fixes the probably strongest issue, the way too much friction in the drive train preventing the whole model from working - fixes a mission critical issue
  2. Attikas change-over-catches-fix (http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2579365): Fixes the probably second strongest issue, the double engaging issue with blocks the whole drive train - fixes a mission critical issue and makes gear switching quite 100% reliable
  3. supertechnicmans fix for the infinite gear shifting issue (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2577440): This issue is not mission critical but annoying
  4. Max supercars fix for the 4R problem (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2578360): This is not an issue at all but a very unrealistic implementation of a gearbox. This fix makes the whole gearbox way more realistic
  5. Jetros MOD for easy unmounting/remounting the bodywork (http://www.eurobrick...3): Not an issue but enhances the value of the model a lot because only without bodywork all the inner workings can be watched.

costs:

1. 2 LBG bushes --> 0€

2. no additonal parts --> 0€

3. 1 2x4 liftarm --> 5ct

4. probably not more than 1€ for the needed parts --> 1€

5. some pins with bush --> 20ct

So lets round up to 1,5€.

Thanks for making this list of Essential improvements. It would be nice to see this list in the OP of the MODs and Improvements topic. Just to get the basics right.

Edited by Didumos69

@Kumbbl - great list of mods, I will have to bookmark your post. I'm wondering how many similar mods will be done until I get my hands on the Porsche. Ordered it from lego site in first few hours after release on June 1st - they took the money and then set model to "temporarily unavailable" without any date of sending in sight...

Might sound sarcastic, but the most expensive Technic set already has so many alterations required in building instruction to make it work reasonably well :blush:

I did want to mention that I love your removable body mod, but I do have one difference of opinion. You mention in the video that you can just omit the connectors behind the seats because they are not very important. I found that these two connectors are the only thing preventing the gearbox flex issue that I described in my previous post, so I would not recommend taking them out. They solidify the gearbox which is a good thing.

I hadn't thought about that. Good point. I do keep mine in to keep the seats in the right place. All the more reason now.

Apparently I'm really late to respond to this review, which I enjoyed reading! The major spotlight of this set, to me, is how it stands up as an expensive "premium" product. There doesn't seem to be an official definition of what this is, and a further general discussion warrants its own thread, but about this model I can say this:

- At my local Lego store, they had just finished building it. It looks great on the outside, but it is still "Arctic Tracker" orange - I like the actual "lava orange" color much better. Put this model next to any other red or orange Technic model and it runs the risk of looking worse than if displayed by itself.

- The store still had one boxed copy on the shelf at night on the day of release. The box had dings in the MIDDLE of the front paper cover, which clearly exposed the white paper stock. Not sure who would be willing to buy this copy without even a tiny discount. As a premium product, it is still placed on the same shelves as every non-premium product, which means it is subject to all the same handling as any "ordinary" set: all the dropping, dinging, sneezing, nose-wiping, and mouthing that children (of all ages, frankly) can muster.

- I haven't seen wheels packaged so well in any set since 2000's 8458 Silver Champion. That is a long time. And yet other sets which might be considered special (Architecture, Ideas), but far lower in price, have more sturdy packaging overall. The Maze I just got for Father's Day is wonderfully packaged.

- After many years of having set 4502 (X-wing with white elastic bands) on an exposed shelf, the elastic bands work just as well today as they did when the set was built.

Despite this being a premium product, some of the dissatisfaction presented in this thread is of the "ordinary" variety (build instruction steps and pin colors vs. color-blind and lower dexterity build accessibility, the "wrong" gears in the "wrong" place, missing/incomplete "real-world" features, packaging, sticker shelf life) that often accompanies sets priced much lower than this one. And yet in this same thread, the essence of Lego being a platform open for modification has been upheld in premium fashion, particularly motivated in this instance by the gap in personal expectations leading up to the release of this set. So "premium" is still a work in progress.

2. Attikas change-over-catches-fix (http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2579365): Fixes the probably second strongest issue, the double engaging issue which blocks the whole drive train - fixes a mission critical issue and makes gear switching quite 100% reliable
  4. Max supercars fix for the 4R problem (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2578360): This is not an issue at all but a very unrealistic implementation of a gearbox. This fix makes the whole gearbox way more realistic
  5. Jetros MOD for easy unmounting/remounting the bodywork (http://www.eurobrick...3): Not an issue but enhances the value of the model a lot because only without bodywork all the inner workings can be watched.

Don't forget about the gear swap in the rear to get the proper shifting sequence.

Edited by Meatman

Oooh got lucky was gun shy yesterday at pulling the trigger but got to the store with the last box left today at lunch. Proud owner of the Porsche.

Looking forward assembly/modifications to this. Thanks for the Review Jim and Thanks to everyone so far with the minor, yet major, modifications that make it more function able.

Don't forget about the gear swap in the rear to get the proper shifting sequence.

Thank you - have added it to the list...

Dear all Technic experts, do you think the tube in step 63 also needed to be replaced by the bush or 1/2 bush? Does the tube in step 63 increase friction?

post-144644-0-76979700-1465247542_thumb.png

Edited by garymak

Glad you liked the mod - it was something that really bothered me, not being able to see the mechanism inside.

I also really like your mod. But I think I would like it even more if the seats stayed on the chassis instead of hanging from the roof. Would that work too you think?

I have had my doubts about this set, but the mods/fixes by the great people here are starting to sway me.