42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

First, thanks for Jim / Sariel for their outstanding review. Second: I was excited about this set... but given the reviews I pass on it.

There is a lot said about the Quality Assurance process, which failed in a dramatic matter I would say. I can only opt for 2 reasons why it has failed...

1) Lot of time pressure by Porsche to get the set on the market (not sure what kind of penalty agreement was made about missing the launch date)

2) More likely: I guess the BI team was already lined up 1-2 years ago. As we all now, there are multiple development models of the Porsches. What if the BI team was already creating instructions in parallel with the development and they mixed up instructions? Could be.....

I hope (naïf of course) that with the same parts in the box the BI of the pre-final model was used for some steps..... and that is why LEGO recalled the sales. :-))

Edited by designer-han

Then why do you supposed that Lego has pulled the set due to unforeseen circumstances?

I am not so sure they have pulled the set. I was at my local store this morning and picked up copy of the set which was from the first batch that they had received the other day. While I was there UPS dropped off another 9 copies of the set so they are still shipping them out to the stores at a pretty normal rate. When talking to the manager at my store he had no idea there was even any issue with the set him and all the employees were going on about how awesome the set was as they had one built in the back for display.

Great reviews ! It definitely sealed my decision ! I'll pass !

@Designer-han : is your avatar one of your MOCs ? If so do you have more photos somewhere?

For those that have been genuinely upset by the events of the past 24 hours, maybe this will help you out. There will be a Lego and Duplo Therapy session on Monday, June 27th.

This session has also been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances, so you will be able to meet with fellow sufferers.

(Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: :wink: :wink:)

Edited by Didumos69

Well, it could be very well the thuth that it was deliberate.

However, it's a very strange decision to 'fix' their issues by changing the shifting order instead of re-designing the gearbox.

I can't find any difference in the number of gears in use whether the model is built per instructions or with the mod. It is pretty easy to diagram the gearbox and find out.

One question Blakbird, you mention there are multiple spots where an axle is "secured" by a pin with pinhole, is there room to change any/all of these with this part? Or is that 1 stud the only room to brace the axle in most cases?

I can't say for certain because there are several such places and most are hidden now. Perhaps it would work in some places but not others. The original parts works fine as long as you are very careful with orientation.

To do the Blakbird-fix without adding parts to the set you can switch the 4 half bushes in the handgrip of the luggage bag with the pin joiner in the D+N+R-selecter.

Or even better, if you don't like the yellow half bushes on the paddles you can use the yellow ones for the D+N+R-selecter and the LBG ones from the bag for the paddles.

Bag.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I am not so sure they have pulled the set. I was at my local store this morning and picked up copy of the set which was from the first batch that they had received the other day. While I was there UPS dropped off another 9 copies of the set so they are still shipping them out to the stores at a pretty normal rate. When talking to the manager at my store he had no idea there was even any issue with the set him and all the employees were going on about how awesome the set was as they had one built in the back for display.

There has to be a reason why it was never available online. If anyone remembers back to the press release, they said that on June 1st, the set would be available at Lego Shop at Home and in Lego Brand stores in Germany and Austria. Instead it has only been released in Lego stores worldwide.

Then why do you supposed that Lego has pulled the set due to unforeseen circumstances?

I'm in USA and the Lego website says "Out of stock, will ship in 30 days". It is also on the front page as a best seller. So I think they are just really selling out!

Edited by nmono

Seems like there are disconnects between different parts of the company.

The USA page at LEGO shop says this:

We have experienced delays in shipping the Porsche and are working tirelessly to correct the issue. As always, our design team has focused on designing a premium product and we want to ensure that it arrives at your doorstep in premium condition.

Outstanding review Tim! Thanks for your honest opinion.

I just finished building the Mercedes Arocs, which the same amount of pieces, PLUS great pneumatics and power functions.

And I got it nearly at half price that the Porsche (170 euros on Amazon Prime).

So comparing the two sets, the Porsche is no buy. The double clutch is a great feature,

but I am really dissapointed by the flappy puddle shifts behind the wheels.

I'm gonna wait for more info on 42055 (my God, this thing is huge).

Thanks again Tim for the great review!

Maybe they are not really pulling it, in the sense of recalling all the sets that have been sent to Lego stores worldwide. Instead they are delaying sending out any more until they've fixed whatever they are now fixing.

Thought: They've printed an 'errata' or 'addendum' page explaining it all and have to re-pack them with the added page?

Thought: They've printed an 'errata' or 'addendum' page explaining it all and have to re-pack them with the added page?

We are proud to bring you the ultimate sportscar. Three years of work and everything works as the real one.

Oh wait, QC missed something. It doesn't work like the real one. Gearbox redesign and ultimate errata page. ;-)

BI with extra "errata" page would look ultimately great on coffee table.

With all the focus on the transmission, has anyone done a thorough examination of the new hubs? Are they as loose as the 42000 ones?

interesting it suggests there are 2700 larger parts to make the real GT3.. “It’s a special car and it takes a number of unique processes to ensure that the 2700 larger individual elements that go into the 911 GT3 RS come precisely together,” coincidence, spin, or genuinely aimed to make the model with similar number, hence limiting some options?

This is disappointing :angry:. 300 Euros for this? And so many features missed out. I guess not having any motors is understandable, but I think they should have added adjustable ride-height and rear-wheel steering. For a 1:8 model, the amount of features is pretty terrible. Compare that to my current MOC car, a Nissan GT-R. Here are the places where the Porsche wins, or at least ties:

• My model won't look nearly as good, but then I've only been building for a year or two.
  • The Porsche has a working steering wheel.
  • The Porsche has model disc brakes.
  • Both have a cabin.

And here are the places where my GT-R will win:

• It's a 1:10 model rather than 1:8.
  • The gearbox (already built) is an 8-speed synchronised automatic rather than a 4-speed manual PDK.
  • It has 4-wheel drive.
  • It has working rear brakes.
  • It has a V6 engine that is scaled to the real car's displacement (I found that 6 LEGO cylinders have a displacement of almost exactly 3.8cc).
  • There are knobs which allow the ride height to be changed independently on each wheel, so if you want to drive on oval circuits, you can have an asymmetric setup. These will be under the front hood.
  • There are more knobs for castor angle adjustment.
  • There is a working handbrake/neutral/drive mode switcher.

And the killer blow...

• My GT-R will contain a MINDSTORMS EV3 brick and four motors. Three will be used for drive, giving the car an estimated top speed of around 6-8mph (using data from my previous MOCs). The fourth will be used for steering.

If an inexperienced amateur like me can fit more features into a smaller car than TLG can, you know that TLG messed up.

Sorry for offtopic, but could you show us this MOC? You've got my attention :)

Mine too! :wink: Maybe a [WIP]-topic?

Again, thanks Jim for the "Ultimate" review. Up until I read the reviews and saw Sariel's video the Porsche was a purchase soon (maybe not day one). After looking at it and seeing most of the functions were hidden, and now don't actually work right.

I have decided (again) to not give LEGO my money for this set. Instead I just ordered a second AROCS 42043. So LEGO still gets my money, just not as much.

Andy D

It would add to the realism. It would be like the real automotive industry. I've seen recalls where a sticker with the new information is place on the relevant page of the car owner's manual.

Like a real German car, there are teething pains with the first model year. :laugh:

The original parts works fine as long as you are very careful with orientation.

This ^^^. Picked up a copy in the Stratford UK store and currently have the chassis finished and half way through the "marriage" stage. Have made Blakbird's MOD and also ensured the gearing is in the correct 1>2>3>4 order, and have taken great care to ensure every axle is free running as I've assembled.

Currently works really well in all gears, sounds fine and no sign of any locks up. Remains to be seen what happens once I've got the full body in place, so we shall see....

.... also v interested to see what Lego do with all the held back online orders, and if there is an addendum / reprint what they will do for those of us that bought shop stock?? Any precedent on this from previous sets???

and I should also say, thanks Jim for the very comprehensive review :)

Edited by twizit