42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Can you provide us with pictures from different angles regarding that change?

See the video review by Sariel:

The change is shown there at 28:58 +.

"By the way, I also made the change to fix the gear sequence by swapping the gears in the back. That also works great."

Can you provide us with pictures from different angles regarding that change?

You have to swap the 12 tooth black bevel gear and the 16 tooth gear, they are on the wrong axles.. Jim has pictures in the opening post..

See the video review by Sariel:

The change is shown there at 28:58 +.

He is actually saying to switch out the 20 tooth and 12 tooth black bevel gears, he made a mistake there.. It should be the 16 tooth and 12 tooth gears..

The pic on the top needs to look like the pic on the bottom..

LagyUjI.jpg

Thinking about how to avoid this kind of mistakes I think TLG could make better use of its fan base.

I know that we - Technic AFOLs - represent only a fraction of the whole Technic customer base. But I also know that there are a lot of kids out there that know about people like Paul Boratko, Sariel, Nico71 or Madocca1977. Let's refer to them as the community heroes - there are more of course.

Now what I think TLG should do, is to occasionally invite a community hero to take the lead in designing an 'ultimate' set.

That might not only work out as a good marketing strategy, but would also be a means to utilize the intellect of the community and eventually to make ultimately good sets.

Edited by Didumos69

Lego has an awesome design team, what I would like to see in the future is maybe them working closer with some guys.. For example if Sariel or Eric had a prelim version of this set back when it was at Toyfair, they could have helped aiding in working out the friction flaws or maybe spotted the gear error in a first run of the instructions.. I understand Lego's main concern would be anything leaking out, which is understandable.. I agree that it wouild be cool to invite someone new along from time to time to add some new inspiration though.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Paul Boratko

In gaming (as well as some other industries) it is almost a standard procedure to have a closed alpha period where designated testers from the community get their hands on the product before it's finalized. I think something to a similar effect could be used here.

Lego has an awesome design team, what I would like to see in the future is maybe them working closer with some guys.. For example if Sariel or Eric had a prelim version of this set back when it was at Toyfair, they could have helped aiding in working out the friction flaws or maybe spotted the gear error in a first run of the instructions..

despite the fact that this would be cool for guys like Eric or Sariel, but there is really no need for TLG to do this - they have just to make their home work concerning quality control, ie. some guys not involved in the designing process of the model have to prebuild it following the instructions carefully and also carefully testing AFTER EACH STEP if all things run smoothly etc... if they would have done this thoroughly then i'm sure they would have found the BI error concerning the gear sequence as well as the friction problem in Step 5 which Eric has pointed out... the problem with this set was not not to involve some AFOLs in the process but simply sloppiness. Don't tell me that you need an AFOL to found this mistakes if you have professional technic designers who do nothing else than designing and building some technic stuff all over the day... the knowledge and experience is there for sure but meybe they have to rethink their quality control processes...

just my 2ct

Edited by Kumbbl

LEGO in the past have invited the community to participate in set design. I believe they did that with the Hobby Train set and also to get input for Power Functions.

IP licenses and agreements can add legal complications to that.

Can someone please confirm whether "out of stock" is because of TLG is fixing the model/instruction before releasing to public?

@mobi

On the S@H store now:

Due to unforeseen circumstances the LEGO Technic Porsche GT3 RS is temporarily unavailable on shop.LEGO.com. Please keep an eye on our website for updates to online availability.

i think they'll pull it till its fixed. There also were no big announcements regarding its launch on teir social-media sites so i guess they try to fix it before they launch their advertising campaign.

Edited by AlphaX

The Dutch S@H site is now also mentioning the 'unforseen circumstances' notification. Must say, that's a first for me. Haven't seen that before, so very curious as to what Lego is planning to do with this set in terms of rectifying the addressed problems...

Oh my goodness. So TLC is saying that that their gearbox is wrong on purpose so that it works better, but if you want to make it right, go right ahead and do so? :laugh: Can it get any more lame than that? They just don't want to admit that it is wrong plain and simple. I am sure there will be naive people that buy the story though.

The Dutch S@H site is now also mentioning the 'unforseen circumstances' notification.

But Lego are saying that they built it wrong on purpose. :grin: Unless it has to do with the friction problem.

Oh my goodness. So TLC is saying that that their gearbox is wrong on purpose so that it works better, but if you want to make it right, go right ahead and do so? :laugh: Can it get any more lame than that? They just don't want to admit that it is wrong plain and simple. I am sure there will be naive people that buy the story though.

Well, it could be very well the thuth that it was deliberate.

However, it's a very strange decision to 'fix' their issues by changing the shifting order instead of re-designing the gearbox. :wacko:

I mean, they claim they worked on the Porsche for 3 years. And they still end up with a bad-working gearbox. Technic fans are able to create better working gearboxes, even without the newly created pieces that TLG put in it...

Well, it could be very well the thuth that it was deliberate.

However, it's a very strange decision to 'fix' their issues by changing the shifting order instead of re-designing the gearbox. :wacko:

I mean, they claim they worked on the Porsche for 3 years. And they still end up with a bad-working gearbox. Technic fans are able to create better working gearboxes, even without the newly created pieces that TLG put in it...

I guess there is a slight chance is was the truth, but if it were, and to prove everyone wrong who doesn't believe them(Which seems to be the large majority), they should have had one of their Technic personal show everyone why it is the way it is. They are giving an explanation about too many gears turning and we all know that statement is untrue. Lego thinks that they are so prestigious that they should never be questioned.

Edited by Meatman

Maybe (in fact, it's what I hope) TLC guys are reading the forums and found Blakbird's solution for step 5 and want to apply that to the updated sets.

LEGO in the past have invited the community to participate in set design. I believe they did that with the Hobby Train set and also to get input for Power Functions.

IP licenses and agreements can add legal complications to that.

getting ideas by crowd sourcing is something completely different than using some AFOLs for pretesting products... alpha and beta tests done per customers are a usual approach especially in the software business but this is a complete different story compared to a product like a lego set... i never heard that a car company offers their new cars (e.g. Porsche) for alpha testing ;-) this is done by professional drivers employed by the company - and this is the right way, also for TLG - as already said: this is a matter of quality management, quality assurance and quality control and the related processes...

Edited by Kumbbl

If it is not possible to do it 100% correct, than maybe LEGO should not go into this design AT ALL.

Only the best is good enough - do You remember??

Lego's old motto. I actually did forget, thanks for reminding me. Now I am a little pissed too.

This set clearly doesn't live up to old Ole Kirk Christiansen's ideals. Shame on you Lego.

That said, thanks Blakbird for a fix that seems to work wonders. But this boggles the mind: how did this pass testing? They spend 3 years on this, how do you not check if every axle runs free and smooth? It's even on the first page of every BI... It's the first thing I do with every axle I put into a set. How Lego?!

One question Blakbird, you mention there are multiple spots where an axle is "secured" by a pin with pinhole, is there room to change any/all of these with this part? Or is that 1 stud the only room to brace the axle in most cases?

I'd also support people like Blakbird, Sariel and Jim getting a prelim version of any set before production is underway. This way they can find flaws that the designers might miss, simply because they have been staring at the model for 2-3 years. And for people who are scared they might leak stuff (which I don't think these 3 would), there's stuff like a "Non-Disclosure Agreement" or NDA. Basically meaning: you leak? You get sued.

Edited by Appie

Hi, I am new to this forum and I hope I don't offend anybody by adding my comments even though I am not anywhere as experienced as many others on this forum. I am building my model based on the instructions without Blabird's fix and I tried the gear swapping that Jim mentions and did notice more friction to the drivetrain than when building according to the official instructions. Possibly Blakbird's fix on step 5 reduces a lot of the friction so when he finished the gearbox he had less overall friction so the gear swapping didn't affect him. I think that TLG is correct that there is more strain on the drivetrain when you swap the gears. So I intend to stick to their instructions for this round of building.

I'd also support people like Blakbird, Sariel and Jim getting a prelim version of any set before production is underway. This way they can find flaws that the designers might miss, simply because they have been staring at the model for 2-3 years.

they simply have to choose these of their own designers who have not stared at the model for 2-3 years because they were not involved in the design of THAT model - do not tell me that all technic designers of TLG are involved in all models.... it would be a shame or even a evidence of incapacity of a company like TLG if they are not able to staff the whole qa process out of their own grid...

So again: TLG has first of all to do her home work - if this has be done and sets without such obvious teething troubles are released then - and only then - they should think about adding some AFOLs to their already existing pretests - currently AFAIK these pretests are only playability-tests and not building tests and are also done only by children - maybe it would be a good idea to enhance such a pretest espceially for the flagships with great attention by AFOLS...

But first TLG should improve its internal quality processes

One more point. You need to pull the paddle shift all the way and even apply a little extra pressure for the gears to change properly. When you do that the gears seems to switch just fine every single time. However, if you don't pull them all the way the way the gears may get locked up. TLG even designed a special mechanism to pull the paddle shifts a little extra, probably to ensure they don't get locked up. So I am satisfied with this gearbox and would highly recommend getting this set!

Designers from other themes testing it would be even better I suppose (less hassle).

One more point. You need to pull the paddle shift all the way and even apply a little extra pressure for the gears to change properly. When you do that the gears seems to switch just fine every single time. However, if you don't pull them all the way the way the gears may get locked up. TLG even designed a special mechanism to pull the paddle shifts a little extra, probably to ensure they don't get locked up. So I am satisfied with this gearbox and would highly recommend getting this set!

Then why do you supposed that Lego has pulled the set due to unforeseen circumstances?

Has anyone here been able to purchase the set online?

As far as I know noone is able to buy it because some packaging troubles in Kladno. The delivery/distribution of the set will be delayed.