42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Oh that is just stupid!

It seems that they couldn't make it right within a certain time and budget, and just dropped it.

Edited by Beard

Indeed stupid, but I do wonder if reviewers have tested the gearbox without "the 1>3>2>4 fix" to see if it works better.

Edited by Appie

If the gear shifting sequence is as intended, then why did S&H delay shipment for a month?

Indeed stupid, but I do wonder if reviewers have tested the gearbox without "the 1>3>2>4 fix" to see if it works better.

Well, since you can't see the engine, maybe they were thinking nobody would ever find out that it's not sequential?

After reading that statement, this is the first time I'm actually angry at TLG about this set.

If the gear shifting sequence is as intended, then why did S&H delay shipment for a month?

Maybe they wanted technical feedback before sending more units out? Or maybe they are working on a nicer solution and will drop the news later.

This is unbelievable. The solution proposed does not make the gearbox worse. Lego chose to use 6 bevel gears in the geartrain and to have a large gear ratio between 1st and 4th gear, that is what makes the geartrain bad.

This statement is so lacking any introspection and humbleness it is almost hilarious.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

So, it's a great set after all. Now run to the store guys :laugh:

From a business point of view, I can perfectly understand this statement from TLG. From any other point of view this is surprising. From the press release:

Both the performance and the sportiness of the original have been realistically reproduced in various technical features on the LEGO model. One particular highlight is the fully functional Porsche double-clutch transmission with four gears and gearshift paddles on the steering wheel.

No they haven't.

Both the performance and the sportiness of the original have been kind of reproduced in various technical features on the LEGO model. One particular highlight is the more or less functional Porsche double-clutch transmission with four gears and gearshift paddles on the steering wheel.

I didn't think the gearbox issue was a reason not to buy it, but this statements seems to add oil to the fire. In other words; it might make things worse, instead of better.

Just underscores the realization that this is a "shelf queen" as 1974 so aptly stated, neither LEGO nor Porsche care about the functions, just the looks and marketing. Does not bode well for future entries in this 'Ultimate Technic' series :distressed:

Don't really care if TLG reads these fora (but I know they do :wink: ) but I'd luv to be a fly on the wall in Porsche HQ if they read all this (and the other reviews) :devil:

(And by Porsche HQ, I mean the people involved in this TLG deal. Those actually designing Porsche cars probably don't give a flying you know what)

Great review! Gives me a reason to finally sign up.

Can you give an estimate of the part count of Box 1, to build the chassis?

Well, since you can't see the engine, maybe they were thinking nobody would ever find out that it's not sequential?

After reading that statement, this is the first time I'm actually angry at TLG about this set.

My sentiment exactly. From a marketing point of view I think this is almost the worst reaction they could have given. It totally ignores the sentiment in our little community... (which in the long run probably won't matter, unless this is a sign of a deeper disconnect to their fanbase)

Great review! Gives me a reason to finally sign up.

Can you give an estimate of the part count of Box 1, to build the chassis?

Good question. I'd say look at the bag count and make an estimate. I am not sure. 11 bags versus 16 bags. I'd say around 1100 parts, but this is a simplified calculation (27 bags -> 2700 parts).

It was a considered decision taken during development that the gears running in the correct order meant that it did not result in a great experience when driving the car. Too many gears are engaged at the same time and smooth running with all those tolerances is just not possible.

If it is not possible to do it 100% correct, than maybe LEGO should not go into this design AT ALL.

Only the best is good enough - do You remember??

This whole statement is cheap, and clearly shows the moral level... for 300 Euros. Ultimate bullsh....

What would be with a simple: "Sorry, we made a mistake, but we do our best to bring a soltion asap." ? You could maybe earn some respect?

I am not only very disappointed... I am angry.

Edit: If it goes on looks, one can spend for scale Die-Cast models like Autoart this 300 bucks better. False targeting, false value, false MARKETING.

Edited by agrof

Also, I wanted to write a lot of words about this (sorry, Jim didn't have the time) but this should have been a :

CREATOR SET

Yes, that's right. It's a shelf queen anyway and would have LOOKED a whole lot better with 3k BRICKS thrown at it instead of this studless useless nightmare ... (Or maybe TLG is testing a new market, Studless Creator? If that, I got egg on my face)

Earlier today I was thinking that this is an attempt to bring back Model Team, but without all of the design details that made MT so fantastic. This project seems to me like someone's wet dream fantasy to have a Technic Porsche - "lets make it big, bright orange, and Teeeeeechnnnnniiiiiiic!" Just throw lots of Technic at it and see what sticks. And then our PR/marketing guy and your PR/Sales guy will go out and have a round of golf, drink some shots, and laugh at congratulate all of the suckers customers buying the set. It is selling out, afterall.

For us, we get some new parts and new colors, and maybe in a few years, lots of used sets for sale at low prices. Just hoping that TLG keeps up the good work on the real Technic sets, such as BWE, new tractor, AROCS, etc...

Edited by JGW3000

My sentiment exactly. From a marketing point of view I think this is almost the worst reaction they could have given. It totally ignores the sentiment in our little community... (which in the long run probably won't matter, unless this is a sign of a deeper disconnect to their fanbase)

To put it blunt, TLG don't have a clue how to handle situations like this. When shit hit the fan regarding the Hoth set they sent out (a first I believe?) statement (aka apology) including pictures of the real thing so it was MUCH easier to compare that failure to the actual movie sets/props/vehicles ..

I mean what kinda numb nut intern do they have employed there?

Cheers,

Ole

Edited by 1974

I am not only very disappointed... I am angry.

Me too.

It seems that this follows exactly the trend porsche has been going for a while now. They milk the cow for what it's possible. And Lego gladly jumped on too. I mean i don't blame them for doing it, i blame them for how they did it.

This Set is not aimed at AFOL's, the extremely simplified instructions proof that.

Its for people that can be impressed by a few moving cylinders or a "Porsche handbag" (seriously?). Fine by me, but calling it a Ultimate... no its not even a "Super Car". Nor does it resemble the features of the real thing in the slightest way.

It does have nothing to feed off for people that are actually interested in how far its possible to copy the real thing.

And don't even get me started on the "online-content".

From what i've seen the offerings of booth physical and online stuff does absolutely not justify such a price tag.

Edited by AlphaX

I'm sure there'll be a support group on FB soon enough :wink:

Funny, the BWE is pretty much as ultimate as it gets (for a modern set)

Huge set, loads of parts (and here the colour vomit actually works), never seen in Technic before, comes even with a secondary vehicle :thumbup:

But NO license and NO coffee table book = good price for the customers = lots of sale for TLG

And if that set had a few gears switched around TLG would probably just make a short online instruction, we'd go "gee, that happens, no biggie" = everyone would be pleased and shitstorm is cancelled :wink:

That ship is already sailed with that statement. They handle us customers as idiots, it is quite obvious, instead of taking the courage and take the responsibility.

Exemplary behavior from a child toy factory, which kinda teaches our children... like this. :sceptic:

From my side it is not a thing any more, which can be arranged with a nice smile.

Edited by agrof

I'm trying real hard to be the shepher... Sorry, I'm trying real hard to not make this about Lego as a whole, but to consider this stupidity an isolated event inside the Porsche project. They have such good things going with the other sets. But the failing PR makes it difficult.

And THAT is important that TLG knows

Heck, they wouldn't ven have made a "UCS" Technic set if they didn't feel there was a demand for it. They know this because of forums like this. They even have a former moderator from here now dealing with "the community"

TLG, you messed up, don't do it again

For me, the hardest part is explaining to my kid why I won't be getting this any time soon, if at all, he's only asked over and over since March or so. Last night together we looked at Jim's excellent review, the little guy's eyes kept getting bigger and bigger - "its orange, lots of gears, really cool, etc..." was his reaction, as typical for an 8 year old. Doesn't care if it has no functions, or the gears don't work. He can push it around all day long (as if I'd let him push around $300 worth of ABS). He doesn't know if, but he is getting the AROCS real soon, that should settle him down a bit.

So let me get this straight.. Lego purposely and knowingly designed the gearbox to shift out of order to enhance the experience..?

So let me get this straight.. Lego purposely and knowingly designed the gearbox to shift out of order to enhance the experience..?

Retrospective design strategy. Justify your actions after the fact. Classic business maneuver. Also called CYA :laugh:

For me, the hardest part is explaining to my kid why I won't be getting this any time soon, if at all, he's only asked over and over since March or so. Last night together we looked at Jim's excellent review, the little guy's eyes kept getting bigger and bigger - "its orange, lots of gears, really cool, etc..." was his reaction, as typical for an 8 year old. Doesn't care if it has no functions, or the gears don't work. He can push it around all day long (as if I'd let him push around $300 worth of ABS). He doesn't know if, but he is getting the AROCS real soon, that should settle him down a bit.

I don't think the gearbox issues are a reason not to buy it. Like you said; he will still adore it. But it still is a lot of money, I know.