42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Ultimate review Jim! Very well done!

It's a cool model and I'm sure you Technic Mod afficiandos will spice it up and fix what's needs to been done to archive true Ultimate level.

Unlike in a real car, there's no stop after the highest or lowest gear, meaning that you can switch the car from 4th to 1st gear and from 1st back to 4th. That's one of the reasons the clutch gear is used, since the axles/gearbox will generate a lot of resistance/strain at some point.

Another reason is that it's there to prevent possible damage to the gears if two speeds get temporarily engaged at the same time while rolling it. Or possibly if rolling in neutral and engaging drive while in first gear.

I think it is way simpler than that.

On my copy, gears get stuck in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, because of massive frictions. Mechanisms work fine only with 4th gear.

The white clutch enable the user to still push the car and drive it with any gear, without hearing huge creaks inside the model.

Excelent review and great photos! Thank you a lot. I'm really looking forward for improvements that eurobricks users will make!

So much epicness in this review, many many thanks Jim for taking the time to do it ! The set is absolutely outstanding :wub:

Thank you for spending time on the beautiful composition of this review. The summary of this flagship(?) for me is that... there is a lot to see, but in the end, not much to say.

It seems that the exterior aesthetic has been nailed down perfectly, but the heart of the model is packed with features that have only marginal benefit. There's irony in having a complex gear box... but with hidden cylinders.. and no Hand of God steering... so we're left with no incentive to experience the shifting mechanism. If this is truly a display model, then surely there was potential to develop "complications" that are more visible; ex. a more realistic chassis, including the unique steering and suspension features you pointed out on the real GT3? I'm curious now if it was Porsche that placed the imperative on including paddle shifters above all else.

(On the other hand, I can't wait to see what the Technic pros here will do with the set after they take it for a few laps.)

Edited by spotfrog

I think it is way simpler than that.

On my copy, gears get stuck in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, because of massive frictions. Mechanisms work fine only with 4th gear.

The white clutch enable the user to still push the car and drive it with any gear, without hearing huge creaks inside the model.

There must be something wrong with your build. Did you make sure all clutch gears have substantial play and all individual axles run smoothly?

I built it carefull. Certainely more carefully than all kids will do.

The set has huge problems.

Note that, as predicted, the set is postponed. You can not buy it on s@h (at least in my country).

Note that, as predicted, the set is postponed. You can not buy it on s@h (at least in my country).

I can confirm: I was monitoring the S@H shop (Italian one) while reading reviews... At 8:00am the set disappeared and when it came back (some minutes later) it was showing "temporary out of stock" message...

Not even the 41999, that was a limited set, sold out so quickly (I was able to buy two at about 9:30am).

I can confirm: I was monitoring the S@H shop (Italian one) while reading reviews... At 8:00am the set disappeared and when it came back (some minutes later) it was showing "temporary out of stock" message...

Not even the 41999, that was a limited set, sold out so quickly (I was able to buy two at about 9:30am).

That will give them time to add errata for the error in the instructions.

Given Jim's review, there should be no other problem with the gearbox when just playing with (pushing around) the vehicle. The lockup when driven by a motor is of course a problem, but Jim did not mention too much overall friction in the gearbox.

Edited by Didumos69

watched Sariel's video - the gearbox is pure sheit.Beautiful model with messed up functions.

best review ive ever read and a set which screams for modifications. most important to do is the four wheel steering. Counterwise in gear one and two, same direction in gear 3 and 4. mode changed by gearbox

if you would design and apply exactly this MOD then i would pay you any amount of money for BI :wink:

Jim, do you know what the code is going to get you, is there anything in the instructions?

Nope, I don't. I didn't blur the code, so I hope it's not one time use or something :laugh:

Excellent review as usual! I admire the quality of pictures.

Thanks!

Given Jim's review, there should be no other problem with the gearbox when just playing with (pushing around) the vehicle. The lockup when driven by a motor is of course a problem, but Jim did not mention too much overall friction in the gearbox.

Pushing it manually won't give you too much problems, although there is a lot of friction in some gears.

Nice review Jim,you are getting better at these "set reviews". :tongue:

I think I will skip buying this set,it is a car after all and they just do not interest me when all they do is have a 4 speed gearbox and HOG steering.

Like a lot of other AFOLS I am disappointed at the lack of some truly interesting functions,and from what I am getting from other reviews (not just yours) they have made a right old hash of building/designing the gearbox which is one of the so called "unique" features.

Wow, very nice Work. :wub:

And how stupid TLC have to be, that in this model the gear shift squence is wrong *facepalm*

But it's very good, that you found that issue! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Jim for your review. Again crisp photos, great detail and adding the real Porsche specs in made for an impressive review. My wife actually read it too and says its a well configured review and he must know his stuff. Now to buy it off Lego and wait a 2-3 weeks for it to turn up. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Jono! And thank your wife, glad she enjoyed it too :thumbup:

Thanks for the ultimate review. In your intro, you wrote being on "cloud nice". It's a nice set but it is not for me. I feel it is more geared towards the Porsche fans and collectors who may not be LEGO fans than long term Technic AFOLs of function over form. There is room for MODs and I see a MOD thread is already started. :laugh:

Great review. I loved how you researched the real car and made comparisons. From the 2 suspension funtions you said were missed, I'd like to try and incorporate that into my next car. Awesome review, thanks!

Thanks. I must admit I knew very little about the 911, so it the research was necessary :laugh:

best review ive ever read and a set which screams for modifications. most important to do is the four wheel steering. Counterwise in gear one and two, same direction in gear 3 and 4. mode changed by gearbox

Thanks and pleeeeaaaaaseee make your last idea a reality. That would be ULTIMATE!

Typo? :)

Thanks for pointing it. That's nine of you :wink:

I have to disagree with this part though. The addition of Porsche information is not the only—or even the main—way in which these instructions seem unnecessarily inflated. From what I've seen there are very few parts added per step, and I suspect fully adequate instructions could have been produced (esp. considering the 16+ tag) at a fraction of the size, even including the additional Porsche info.

Unneccessary inflation is a general tendancy when it comes to Building Instructions.

Thanks. I must admit I knew very little about the 911, so it the research was necessary :laugh:

Thanks for pointing it. That's nine of you :wink:

Typo?

Very nice review Jim! :thumbup: :thumbup:

While I do like this set and I'm probably going to buy it anyway, I think I'm more looking forward to the Claas set than the Porsche :grin:

Fantastic and very honest review Jim, you have obviously put many hours of work into it and have earned a good holiday :thumbup:.

Thanks mate. And thanks for the questions you asked :wink: