VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Remember, those are prelim. Prints could potentially change as easily as part colors can. I don't remember what color the Nuva symbol on Kopaka was... either grey/silver or dark blue, but I don't recall exactly.

Ah, that's a good point too. Thanks for the reminder!

It's too long to be a 4m shell. Compare the shape of the little side-edges with a real 5m shell, and you'll see that they match up.

Yeah, it's 5M, it's too wide to be 4M.

Now, all colours and printings look fine to me, I'm just worried about Umarak's mask. If it really is silver or gunmetal it's going to lose quite a bit of fear factor, I think. It already looks less scary than the catalog version, though I'm not sure if more details are showing or if they actually changed it.

I'm glad trans purple is getting a bunch of parts unlike olive green or that light turquoise from 2014.

Single-part colors are kind of a bummer sometimes. =/

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Dark blue! Here's hoping it picks up more than the 6M shells from Kopaka

Edited by CabooseBM

Yep, looks like trans purple is here to stay as the Earth sets' go-to secondary colour.

Now, if only they could bring trans pink in.... but it ain't happening.

Bit disappointed about the new torso piece, to be honest. It looks too printed and too large and shaped to be used as anything other than torso armour, unlike the 2.0 torso armour or the Brain Attack torso armour. I dislike the breakout armour for similar reasons.

Trans purple though, I'm glad that's getting more pieces. It's the most beautiful of transparent colours IMO and goes wonderfully with black and gold. Still not convinced on Kopaka or Gali, and I am a little fearful that the shoulder connections on these sets will be a bit flimsy - look at the way Onua's shoulders connect, for one, particularly the right (from our view, onua's left) shoulder. Though the more I look at Tahu and Onua and their creature counterparts, the more they grow on me - Tahu looks to have the best hidden shoulders with Onua having the worst hidden shoulders.

Bit disappointed about the new torso piece, to be honest. It looks too printed and too large and shaped to be used as anything other than torso armour, unlike the 2.0 torso armour or the Brain Attack torso armour. I dislike the breakout armour for similar reasons.

The printing on the torso piece don't bother me much. The problem I have with the new torso piece is the complicated texture and the lacking of connection point on the torso piece caused it can be difficult to been use in several MOCs.

I'm warming up to the new torso. Its got a nice shape and I feel the extra detail helps disperse the more detailed, Technic areas.

Though from a MoCing standpoint, it does have its limitations...

The new torso is supremely limited. I really would've preferred if it was a new torso shell and a chestplate rather than one, big, overly-greebled chunk. I also sincerely hope it is a CCBS shell, and not something relying on Technic connections. That'd really annoy me.

Edited by Logan McOwen

The new torso is supremely limited. I really would've preferred if it was a new torso shell and a chestplate rather than one, big, overly-greebled chunk. I also sincerely hope it is a CCBS shell, and not something relying on Technic connections. That'd really annoy me.

Wouldn't technic pinholes be more versatile than a CCBS socket? At the cost of rotating the torso shell, you would be able to shift it up or down a module, and you wouldn't face the connection mismatch issue on the 2015 sets that caused Skull Grinder's chest and the toa's back armour to stick out a module too much.

I don't have a problem with a bit of greebling, but I don't like how LEGO has been alternating between soft and hard details/lines for each new piece. It'd be good if LEGO comes up with a design language that matches CCBS and sticks with it. The shaping of the new torso seems pretty good though - much nicer than the older HF one used on Tahu and Lewa.

Wouldn't technic pinholes be more versatile than a CCBS socket? At the cost of rotating the torso shell, you would be able to shift it up or down a module, and you wouldn't face the connection mismatch issue on the 2015 sets that caused Skull Grinder's chest and the toa's back armour to stick out a module too much.

Of course technic pinholes are sometimes better than CCBS sockets, but while it solved the gap issues similar like Skull Grinder from this year, it's also causing connecting to a regular CCBS bone like 4M and 5M Beam CCBS bones is totally impossible.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Exactly. There'd be little to no backwards compatibility, at least without making things needlessly over-complicated.

Yeah, now that I have the 2015 Toa, I don't know if I'll make the effort to get all the 2016 ones. But the creatures are rather well done in the photos I have seen. Umarak has some ugly features, but looks like he'll match the Skull Army well, plus he has the Mask of Control!

Besides if Umarak is a marked improvement over LoSS... Then we should have some good villains in the summer wave!

Of course technic pinholes are sometimes better than CCBS sockets, but while it solved the gap issues similar like Skull Grinder from this year, it's also causing connecting to a regular CCBS bone like 4M and 5M Beam CCBS bones is totally impossible.

But why would you want to connect such a big, chunky torso armour piece to the short bones? It would completely cover the connection points from one side, limiting the poseability or/and possibility to connect other pieces. It would only make sense to connect it to the longer bones, which have pinholes anyway. And in fact, pin connections would make this piece even MORE backwards compatible, since the G1 system was all based around pins and axles, not to mention that you would be able to attach it to basically any Lego piece you'd want, as opposed to the other CCBS shells, which are practically useless without balljoints.

I'm all for the new torso armour having pinholes, but I doubt this will ever be a thing. However I don't think the connection method it uses is the main problem here - I think it's the printing, which makes this piece more specific to one character and harder to use in any other model you'd want to have it. But granted, it looks magnificent on the figures it was made for, so at least that's a good thing.

Yeah, now that I have the 2015 Toa, I don't know if I'll make the effort to get all the 2016 ones. But the creatures are rather well done in the photos I have seen. Umarak has some ugly features, but looks like he'll match the Skull Army well, plus he has the Mask of Control!

Besides if Umarak is a marked improvement over LoSS... Then we should have some good villains in the summer wave!

I'm in a similar situation - of the 2015 sets, I have all the Toa, but only Korgot and Ekimu/Kulta. Come 2016 I doubt I'll have space to get all the Toa-heroes again. I'm definitely getting Tahu and Kopaka, and maybe Onua or Lewa if I have the cash. I'm loving the Creatures, though, so I'll definitely get them all. Plus, they're small and easier to find space for.

As for Umarak, I think I'll hold out and wait to see his Destroyer form before deciding to buy his Hunter form. His Hunter form doesn't appeal to me much - if anything, I'd get it for the Mask of Control.

I'm in a similar situation - of the 2015 sets, I have all the Toa, but only Korgot and Ekimu/Kulta. Come 2016 I doubt I'll have space to get all the Toa-heroes again. I'm definitely getting Tahu and Kopaka, and maybe Onua or Lewa if I have the cash. I'm loving the Creatures, though, so I'll definitely get them all. Plus, they're small and easier to find space for.

As for Umarak, I think I'll hold out and wait to see his Destroyer form before deciding to buy his Hunter form. His Hunter form doesn't appeal to me much - if anything, I'd get it for the Mask of Control.

Nice to hear I'm not alone here! I am waiting for the money to get Ekimu and Skull Basher; and I only have two Protectors and a Skull Warrior. Gotta envy the guys who get the complete wave!

Then again thanks to a temporary job the 2015 wave of Bionicle is the first time since 2006 that I assembled a full team of Toa! So no complaints...

Anyway back to the topic: does anybody know the names for the summer villains yet?

Anyway back to the topic: does anybody know the names for the summer villains yet?

Lava Beast, Quake Beast, Storm Beast and Umarak the Destroyer.

Nice to hear I'm not alone here! I am waiting for the money to get Ekimu and Skull Basher; and I only have two Protectors and a Skull Warrior. Gotta envy the guys who get the complete wave!

Then again thanks to a temporary job the 2015 wave of Bionicle is the first time since 2006 that I assembled a full team of Toa! So no complaints...

Pretty sure that they are Quake Beast, Lava Beast, Storm Beast...and Umarak the Destroyer.

Buying LEGO sets and not building with them later is such a bizarre mindset to me. I mean, more power to you and all, but man.

You're all weirdos. =P

Buying LEGO sets and not building with them later is such a bizarre mindset to me. I mean, more power to you and all, but man.

You're all weirdos. =P

I do that with HF sets and very few BIONICLE ones, those I like the less. I'm no master builder, so most of the times the original sets are much better looking than most of my MOCs. Not worth it, in short.

Is it a bad thing to keep the sets partially together in their boxes? I mean, I don't want to disassemble them or have them exposed... But at the same time, I don't the parts to break when I rebuild them.

Looking at the box art, it seems there won't be any shadow traps in the Toa sets. Just the Toa and their golden masks and the creature sets come with the shadow traps. I don't mind it that much but it takes away from the "Battle in a box" concept from the 2015 Toa and Protectors.