VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

@Draik Nova Reminds me of R+S Battle Machine from Invasion from Below Wave 2. Actually a pretty cool idea. The sets would need to sport a fairly consistent colour scheme among each other for it to work, I'm thinking black+additional colour like the 2008 Makuta. Tr. bright green for Umarak, tr. reddish orange for Lava Beast, and I don't know about the other 2.

Hit Add Reply by accident.

Edited by Shakar

I'm thinking that Umarak would just have a bit of nice and neutral brown to contrast the Beasts, with tr reddish orange for Lava, tr. purple for Quake and a mix of tr. dark blue and tr. green for Storm. Either that, or the creatures look like armor. Quake beast would look almost like one of the Shadow of the Collosus creatures with a mix of greys, blacks and maybe greens if it turns out to be an earth/jungle mix rather than earth/ice. It would then form the outer layer of Umarak the Destroyer's armor, while Storm and Lava would form different parts of his flexible underarmor.

Edited by DraikNova

The site itself isnt down, just the forums. Er...they don't exist apparently.

I didn't know they were based on tumblr.

Also, in regards to the 2 versions of Umarak we seem to be getting, has this happened before? 2 version of a character at the same price in the same year?

I feel like this is a first.

Edited by Jetrax99

Also, in regards to the 2 versions of Umarak we seem to be getting, has this happened before? 2 version of a character at the same price in the same year?

Does Evo in 2014 count? He did get three different mechs that year.

If Evo counts, so does Rocka. And we got him two times in the same wave in 2011.

Nothing saying the Destroyer will be the same price as the Hunter - in fact, I'd expect it to sit at the $30 point instead. As for historic precedents, there's the Phantoka and their vehicle-riding counterparts in 2008, Glatorian Legend Mata Nui and Toa Mata Nui in 2009, and Takua and Takanuva in 2003. None of them are at the same price point, but assuming that the Umaraks aren't like that, they show that this isn't entirely unheard of.

Edited by Tazakk

Either way i'm quite happy we are going to get two Umaraks. We are always getting new versions of Toa/Heroes but villains are too commonly one-and-done when some of them have great designs that I'd love to see reimagined.

I was thinking this before- it happened with a lot of good guys, but I think this is the first time a villain gets two distinct sets in the same year, so I'm not counting combiners (like Makuta as Dume/Ultimate Dume and Fenrakk/Kardas).

And, probably old, but I just realized something. I think the real reason the Toa have, ahem, butt gears isn't to allow a Rahkshi-like function, but to free space on the back so the Unity (Toa+Creature) feature can occur. I bet there's still an arm swinging feature there, at the very least on Kopaka, it's just triggered from the lower back instead of the upper section like we're used to. There's got to be some neat engineering work hiding under those big mono-piece torso shells.

Were my theory to be correct, and considering his mask top has the same shape of those of the Toa masks, maybe Umarak is designed to unlock the Unity feature like the Toa, and maybe his box art does advertise it, only difference being that he doesn't have his own Creature. But Umarak the Destroyer might be big enough to combine with the Beasts. Considering Grievous is big enough for Skull Slicer to ride on his back, it's not that farfetched.

JSYK the boards will be back hopefully soon. We're aware of the problem and it's being investigated.

This isn't the place to discuss TTV. We have a community forum if you feel the need to do so, but the status of TTV or any other forum is not related to Bionicle 2016.

And, probably old, but I just realized something. I think the real reason the Toa have, ahem, butt gears isn't to allow a Rahkshi-like function, but to free space on the back so the Unity (Toa+Creature) feature can occur. I bet there's still an arm swinging feature there, at the very least on Kopaka, it's just triggered from the lower back instead of the upper section like we're used to. There's got to be some neat engineering work hiding under those big mono-piece torso shells.

The reason for the "butt gears" is almost assuredly to free up space for the Creatures to combine with them, but I don't see why that would be reason to believe that the function is still an arm-swinging function. Looking at Kopaka's build, the shoulders seem to attach to Y-joints inside the body—if there were an arm rotation function, the axle would have to be significantly below the shoulder, under the underarm, and I can't see that working well. Tahu's a similar case—there's no space for an axle and gearing between his shoulders. In general, the amount of gearing that would be necessary to transfer rotation all the way from the hips to the shoulders would be ridiculous, and I just don't see any way that it could be done and still have it resemble the pictures we've seen, even with new parts. I think waist rotation is much more likely.

The reason for the "butt gears" is almost assuredly to free up space for the Creatures to combine with them, but I don't see why that would be reason to believe that the function is still an arm-swinging function. Looking at Kopaka's build, the shoulders seem to attach to Y-joints inside the body—if there were an arm rotation function, the axle would have to be significantly below the shoulder, under the underarm, and I can't see that working well. Tahu's a similar case—there's no space for an axle and gearing between his shoulders. In general, the amount of gearing that would be necessary to transfer rotation all the way from the hips to the shoulders would be ridiculous, and I just don't see any way that it could be done and still have it resemble the pictures we've seen, even with new parts. I think waist rotation is much more likely.

Also, looking at most of their weapons would only help in suggesting that it is a waist function that we'd be getting with them. Pohatu has a flail-staff, Gali also has a staff, Onua has a hammer he holds with both hands. These remind me a lot of the Rahkshi functions.

Is it just me, or did the Imgur album with the HD images also get taken down? I can't find anywhere else that has them, and they're kinda important to this discussion.

Is it just me, or did the Imgur album with the HD images also get taken down? I can't find anywhere else that has them, and they're kinda important to this discussion.

You can still find the images on 8chan's /toy/ board (which, should be noted, is pretty much dead atm)

Edited by TheGreatSpirit

There are countless YouTube videos that have them, I myself have like 6x copies of of the pics.

THe pics are also all on Bentheghost's DA page.

I'm likingthe idea of Umarak combining with the beasts.

Also, I'm pretty sure both Takua and Pewku and Takanuva were £15 upon release in the UK, but that might've just been certain stores. I can remember that Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo was a £20 release in Tesco, but when I saved up my money for eight weeks to buy it and then went to Toys R Us, I found him for £10. So I got Rahaga Iruni too.

Edited by Lord-Vorahk

I think "gearbutts" could work like someone said, like Rahkshi and Makuta in 2003, especially since Onua holds hammer in both hands.

There is some good things: one piece torso armor is bad thing, but if I would saw torso from 2011 again....; this is still CCBS with balljoints, but two technic armor pieces is really good thing; masks are also not bad, beside that silver hairs.

The biggest minuses of 2016 sets for me: feet from 2011; almost all Toa have that same sword, just in other colors.

Beside that:

- Tahu, Toa of Gold! Too much gold. And silver hairs don't looks too good on it.

- Onua, ribcages as armor is rather not good thing to protect. Gold torso makes other colors looks less important. Hammer is a little too big. Feet are too mechanical for him,

- Umarak, very, very, bad set. LoSS was better then that (and I don't like LoSS). So bad legs, without armor and with big holes. Strange bow (that don't look like Warrior bow, no). So many colors, really? for hunter that should be invisible? And that big strange horns. And the worst set must have the best mask, smart move Lego.

- Pohatu have only mask in his brown color? Well, I don't thought that he can be worse but I see I was wrong xD

- Lewa is not bad, but have little too much silver armor, if he had green feet, he would be better.

- Gali is also not bad, but wot is that orange piece on shoulder? It looks like that one trans-orange piece on arm of Skull Slicer.

- Kopaka, looks good, don't have too much gold, like Tahu (I would say, even he should have more gold). The biggest good thing is white torso, it really looks better then all silver or gold.

- That beasts masks looks like "dull handicapped rhino", somehow I think Protectors were better then that beasts,

Edited by PrimoUltimo

THe pics are also all on Bentheghost's DA page.

I'm likingthe idea of Umarak combining with the beasts.

Also, I'm pretty sure both Takua and Pewku and Takanuva were £15 upon release in the UK, but that might've just been certain stores. I can remember that Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo was a £20 release in Tesco, but when I saved up my money for eight weeks to buy it and then went to Toys R Us, I found him for £10. So I got Rahaga Iruni too.

Ahhh, Back when the small sets were £3 and the medium sets were £6...

Since I had the page opened and preloaded I reuploaded it, I'm just not sure how imgur search works so maybe it won't be possible to find it. And I don't have TTV forums account, I might only post the link on reddit.

- Pohatu have only mask in his brown color? Well, I don't thought that he can be worse but I see I was wrong xD

Pohatu comes with his own golden mask...it's on the right side of him

The biggest minuses of 2016 sets for me: feet from 2011.

I quite like the 2.0 HF feet. The feet is wide enough to support the body weight and very useful in most CCBS MOCs. But I agree that we need more variation in foot pieces.

- Umarak, very, very, bad set. LoSS was better then that (and I don't like LoSS). So bad legs, without armor and with big holes. Strange bow (that don't look like Warrior bow, no). So many colors, really? for hunter that should be invisible? And that big strange horns. And the worst set must have the best mask, smart move Lego.

I also like Umarak. Umarak is a well-designed set and I agree the legs looks unfinished, but i think it works for the design of Umarak's itself.

- Tahu, Toa of Gold! Too much gold. And silver hairs don't looks too good on it.

I fully agree he has a lot of gold, but it works fine for me, however those silver hairs are really....distracting to say the least.

- Onua, ribcages as armor is rather not good thing to protect. Gold torso makes other colors looks less important. Hammer is a little too big. Feet are too mechanical for him.

Well the ribcages are trully awesome pieces and even more so in that pptrans purple color, the hammer while big is amazing as far as functions go. And while the feet may look odd, i don't have an issue with them looking mechanical, after all, people wanted more technical looking textures.

Now, the legs while gappy have a very G1 look, and objectively, loss had very VERY little posability and an underwhelming function. Umarak has a lot mor articulation and from what we have seen a better function. As for the colors, he seems to be using a camo look, the red, green and brown would fit perfectly on a jungle environment.

He does have as mentioned by others his gold mask, however, I feel the real issue I have with him is his trans colors. I was skeptical of the trans neon green at first with the 2015 pohatu, but it grew into me, even thought i prefered trans yellow. Now that they included trans yellow I thought he would look great, but the combination of both colors is very distracting to me.

- Lewa is not bad, but have little too much silver armor, if he had green feet, he would be better.

I dont mind his color scheme at all, the silver is very well distributed. Although I will miss the keetorange...

- Gali is also not bad, but wot is that orange piece on shoulder? It looks like that one trans-orange piece on arm of Skull Slicer.

Im pretty sure its a nod to G1, as most Ga-matoran (or any creature with the Ga on its name) had an orange accent as eyestock or markings. And while it seems to stick out a lot, the marking on her chest balances it a little. Not to mention someone said she might have more orange attachments on the other end of her staff.

- That beasts masks looks like "dull handicapped rhino", somehow I think Protectors were better then that beasts,

While I am not fond of them all having the same heads, they feel more unique to the protectors (the protector all shared the same mask anyway) and definately have a better combiner function to them than the protectors offered (looking at you korgot) and from what we have seen, all of them have a special mechanisim. For example uxar has a flapping motion while terak (might) have a gear function like

Ekimu.

Edited by Hawkeye616

*big chunk of text*

I agree with you that Tahu is way too gold..it's even worse with his golden mask on. Onua by himself looks pretty cool, and the pieces used make it very tempting to avoid getting him...also Terak is one of the cooler creatures and their combo might be pretty awesome..also..those paw pieces in black with trans purple claws!!! I fear Onua may be very oddly constructed at the back though...and his mask is not the best for me. I don't care what anyone says about Umarak, that dude is just awesome. Lewa's legs kind of worry me...and I agree about the lack of keetorange, it makes him more dull...although I have to admit that he is quite well designed regardless..so it'll be difficult to pass him up...also his combo with Uxar might be quite nice (Lewa with actual wings, antennae...oooh). Pohatu is quite well designed too...I don't know what his combo with Ketar will look like...and I'm positive the lime green is just preliminary stuff. It just clashes with the colour scheme so much. Ketar is disappointing though. Gali is the worst for me....just not feeling that one at all. I do like the orange though. Kopaka has really grown on me and could potentially be my faourite of the sets...I dunno, I need clearer pics to really be sure as to which ones i will get.

Edited by Leewan
No need to quote a long post just above yours