VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Meh, they're all kind of boring - I'm looking forward to see Onua, though. I like what Lego is trying with the combination feature. I'm sure all the Toa will look better when combined with their creature counterparts. The combos remind me of the Phantoka, which were great! Hopefully a step up from this year's combos.

Umarak seems to be a lot taller than Tahu. He's ribcage piece is set higher like on Grinder and he has an extended neck just like him too. his thigh bones are gray and I could assume it's the same one Vader uses + friction joint. So one module taller from there. Umarak's lover leg looks like it could be also one module taller than Tahu's. He really is a towering figure. 4 modules taller than Tahu and I'm not even counting in those horns.

• still that same CCBS parts from 2011 (especially foots in silver!),

I like how people still think Lego's going to just abandon the CCBS shells lol.

• Umarak looks terrible, just bunch of parts, in holes in his legs birds could fly, he is bad like Scorpio, and so bad set must have the best mask of course (MoCr), and for sure he don't have Warrior bow,

Biomechanical beings don't need to have all the holes in their bodies filled, you know, since they're partially robots. Umarak's way better looking than Scorpio, even better than Kulta, that's for sure. And I'm pretty sure that he has MoCo (or at least a mask that is similar to it) in the box rather than MoCr.

Umarak seems to be a lot taller than Tahu. He's ribcage piece is set higher like on Grinder and he has an extended neck just like him too. his thigh bones are gray and I could assume it's the same one Vader uses + friction joint. So one module taller from there. Umarak's lover leg looks like it could be also one module taller than Tahu's. He really is a towering figure. 4 modules taller than Tahu and I'm not even counting in those horns.

He's build is kinda similar to this year's Ekimu+Kulta+Scorpio combiner, which already is taller than Tahu, so, considering Umarak's using longer bones, I can just imagine how tall he must be :o And that's his normal variant, I'm assuming Umarak the Destroyer will be even bigger.

My thoughts on the sets though:

Gali: Can't really see her all that well, can't really comment on her. The weapon is kinda weird, I don't know what that Rhotuka-thing is supposed to be, I guess we'll have to wait for better pictures. I'm glad that she uses Vorox/Skrall armor in either orange or gold, it's good to have this pieces in more colors, it's one of my favourites. I don't think the new armor add-on is the same one used in Skull Squad, it has a slightly different shape, but as I said, we'll have to wait for a petter pic to know that for sure.

Lewa: OMG he's awesome. Like, literally awesome. I'm digging everything about him, can't really see why people compare him to Matau though. The color's obviously a different shade of green, the same one used this year I think (even the shells are the same size :s) and the mask doesn't even look like Mahiki, moreover - it looks closer to original Miru that 2015 mask. I'm loving the weapons and the new torso armor, and the Vorox/Skrall armor. I'm really glad they brought this piece back, and it actually isn't all that surprising - it was last used in Speeda Demon, so if they were able to bring back Guurahk's blade, last used in 2010, they may as well bring back a piece last used in 2012.

Pohatu: Looks very similar to his 2015 counterpart, and, sadly, as with Gali, you can't really see him all that well in the picture. He seems to have a different shade of brown (either Avak brown or the darker one, used on Maula's Stomper's head). More Vorox armor in silver, that's great.

Umarak: really menacing-looking. I don't really have any complaints with him, other than the eyesoring blue pins on his legs, but hey, you can't do anything with that :P However, he looks like he might be another undead-spooky-scary-skeleton-guy, and hope that's not the case - that motiv was alright in 2015, but I don't want Lego to use it for all the bad guys in G2.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the sets look, and I'm waiting for pics or Tahu, Onua and Kopaka. I'm so relieved they don't use SW torso armor, that would've really kill their look IMO. I love how they look really diverse from your typical CCBS sets, while still using this system - anybody who says that CCBS looks the same after all these years, is just plain stupid. I really hope that they will eventually make the new feet, I'm so tired of seeing the same ones all over again, but that's just a minor complaint.

I quite enjoy how both Pohatu and Lewa use those Vorox Armour pieces as shoulder/neck armour, it's quite effective and it just looks stunning.

Those beartrap creatures got me sold, no matter what the actual Creatures will look like, I need them all. ._.

-Iben

Hmm... I'm unsure about Umarak's brown. Those pieces in start of his antlers have only appeared in the normal brown and black (http://alpha.brickli...r=120#T=C&C=120) and the rest of the "brown" is the same color. But then again the brown on his bow seems certainly different, because of that I think I'm going with dark red as well.

Edited by GK733

Oh my, prototypes looks so much better that summer wave sets!

I really like Pohatu. And Tahu is super cool on the sketch too)

Umrak is.... ehhhh... like a Satir or what? I really hope that we'll have the Mask of Control in Umrak set.

I like the construction of legs, and few minutes ago, I have recognised this part in dark-red.

45749.jpg

On further inspection...

http://board.ttvpodc...820a0229932.png

The legs are actually same size due to the lower one being shorter. And I think I see something that resembles a torso balljoint behind Umarak's chest plate ad it's not as low as the one compared to Grinder, but higher than on most of the sets. But then again he has the same neckextender as Grinder.

So I've come to conclusion, Umarak is only two modules + antlers taller than Tahu :( Oh well he's still 10 more imposing villain than some six legged bug. And people weren't kidding, there is a weapon stored on his left thigh. Remains to be seen if the thigh area is more complex than it seems to determine his height.

Edited by GK733

Oh my, prototypes looks so much better that summer wave sets!

I really like Pohatu. And Tahu is super cool on the sketch too)

Umrak is.... ehhhh... like a Satir or what? I really hope that we'll have the Mask of Control in Umrak set.

I like the construction of legs, and few minutes ago, I have recognised this part in dark-red.

45749.jpg

Ah. I see, and I love how some of the old BIONICLE parts are brought back, and it's why I want Umarak more.

EDIT 2: Oops. I have misunderstood that.

Edited by Chimaninja454

Where did you see a Rahkshi leg? I can't make one out anywhere, and I find it hard to believe they'd use it.

There are no Rahkshi legs on Umarak. His lower legs are a custom construction using Hordika necks, beast feet, and Bohrok eyes, among other parts, while his upper legs seem to be fairly standard CCBS. I've built a mock-up using my own parts, and I'm pretty impressed—while they may be a bit odd visually, they give him a unique stature while making his legs very stable!

I'm very impressed with the look of these sets overall, and can't wait to see what they look like in the brick!

Between Umarak and Kulta, they're really amping up the demonic look on the new villains. While there are some very threatening ones out there, there have been 4 BIONICLE villains I honestly found creepy- Mantax, Vamprah, Kulta and Umarak.

I can't wait to see the Beasts, UtD (Umarak the Destroyer) and, eventually Makuta himself (the MoCo is demonic enough already).

I whipped up a small prototype after someone on TTV mentioned Lewa's shins. I have never thought of using the Skrall armor, and now I am pretty hyped for it if they do end up including it. There is still a possibility they will remold it to attatch with two pins to a shell.

I whipped up a small prototype after someone on TTV mentioned Lewa's shins. I have never thought of using the Skrall armor, and now I am pretty hyped for it if they do end up including it. There is still a possibility they will remold it to attatch with two pins to a shell.

All of those concepts seem way more complex than necessary. You really only need the Skrall armor, a 2M black friction pin, and MAYBE one of this piece if you want the armor attached more securely. Observe. Your concepts are decent (and might even look BETTER in some cases), but they also look much bulkier than the actual pictures suggest.

Edited by Lyichir

Between Umarak and Kulta, they're really amping up the demonic look on the new villains. While there are some very threatening ones out there, there have been 4 BIONICLE villains I honestly found creepy- Mantax, Vamprah, Kulta and Umarak.

I can't wait to see the Beasts, UtD (Umarak the Destroyer) and, eventually Makuta himself (the MoCo is demonic enough already).

Yeah, they're definitely going for much more evil looks for the villains...lol although, of the old bionicle villains, I thought Takadox was pretty creepy...I also thought Dume..or the concept of him being Makuta Teridax was pretty creepy...I think the darkest Bionicle story line was Metru Nui personally...there was just a lot of doom and gloom in that one..perhaps because it was so relatable to human societal history? I dunno, that's just me.

As for the sets, Umarak is amazingly cool....I really may want to pick him up first.

Gali looks so much better than the 2015 version...I just prefer this mask to the old one..also like that they will be giving her blue eyes, rather than the standard green ones, and that she will be given another colour (orange returns to blue sets!!!! YES!). Her weapon is a bit odd, I'll admit. But she looks good.

Lewa is super disappointing for me...at least from what I've seen. His weapons are impractical, though I can't see exactly what they are, his colour scheme has regressed back into looking bland and boring. I found that to be Gali's biggest issue in my eyes, that her colour scheme was just boring. The two have switched roles for me in this case. His mask does look pretty cool though.

Pohatu looks amazing....I cannot even stress how excited I am to be able to buy him along with Umarak first..I really want to see his creature counterpart and buy that one too. His mask looks like an evolved version of his 2015 version, he looks more complete, and his weapon is simply cool! I do hope that they keep the dark orange colours for him...but I wouldn't be significantly bothered if they went dark brown for him...especially because it's so beautifully balanced out with the trans neon green pieces. I am pretty sure his eyes are now blue, which reminds me of Onewa form the Metru-Nui series who also had blue eyes, but a questionably boring brown colour scheme. I really thought the blue eyes on the protector of stone went well with the neon green/dark orange, and it's looking like the same will be the case for Pohatu. I can't wait to see hi-res official pics of all these guys.

Yes, but that solution leaves the armor far further down on the legs than the pictures show.

Actually, you're right. On second thought, I think it may just be attached with a single friction pin in the upper attachment point on the bone. It doesn't work on LDD, but testing it physically, it looks accurate to the picture while not stressing either piece substantially and holding its position well.

Also, I just noticed that Lewa seems to use Trans. Bright Green Bohrok eyes. If that turns out to be true, then we'll finally have a second piece that comes in all six elemental secondary colors (after the 2x2 round System radar dish).

Edited by Lyichir

All of those concepts seem way more complex than necessary. You really only need the Skrall armor, a 2M black friction pin, and MAYBE one of this piece if you want the armor attached more securely. Observe. Your concepts are decent (and might even look BETTER in some cases), but they also look much bulkier than the actual pictures suggest.

Thank you. I was wondering if there would be a way to attach it closer. I have built my method in real life and have to say that it is very proportionate to the leaked picture. It uses a 3M Technic Beam, 3L Friction Pin, 2L Friction Pin, and 1L Beam w/ Stud (sorry if this wasn't apparent in the LDD screenshots); pieces that could pretty easily be part of the set itself and it is no more complicated than Kopaka 2015's shins. It also has the added advantage of bulking out the shin significantly and allowing the placement of a shell to fill out the back and sides. If the actual set uses your method, I might end up changing it over. My original idea was born because I thought I saw him use a 1x2 Tile in Trans-Bright-Green to cover up the pins, but now I am thinking that might either be a trick of the light or part of his weapon.

I have a photo I took directly comparing it to the leaked pic, but am not sure if it is allowed.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

Thank you. I was wondering if there would be a way to attach it closer. I have built my method in real life and have to say that it is very proportionate to the leaked picture. It uses a 3M Technic Beam, 3L Friction Pin, 2L Friction Pin, and 1L Beam w/ Stud (sorry if this wasn't apparent in the LDD screenshots); pieces that could pretty easily be part of the set itself and it is no more complicated than Kopaka 2015's shins. It also has the added advantage of bulking out the shin significantly and allowing the placement of a shell to fill out the back and sides. If the actual set uses your method, I might end up changing it over. My original idea was born because I thought I saw him use a 1x2 Tile in Trans-Bright-Green to cover up the pins, but now I am thinking that might either be a trick of the light or part of his weapon.

I have a photo I took directly comparing it to the leaked pic, but am not sure if it is allowed.

Upon review, I don't think I had it quite right either. I think it actually uses a single friction pin to attach the piece to the upper pin hole on a 7M bone. It won't work on LDD, but testing it physically it looks just about perfect and holds its position well without really stressing either piece.

Upon review, I don't think I had it quite right either. I think it actually uses a single friction pin to attach the piece to the upper pin hole on a 7M bone. It won't work on LDD, but testing it physically it looks just about perfect and holds its position well without really stressing either piece.

Yeah, they certainly fit together well. How do you think his thigh is built? To me, it looks like a 6M B-Bone with a 4M Shell. I imagine that shell is in Bright Green, as that is what we have already gotten in Lewa before; it looks Trans Green to me on first glance though.

Oddly enough, if I recall correctly, someone brought up the point that the Skrall Armor can be attached to CCBS bones very early in the year. I'll need to see if I can dig up the topic...

Oddly enough, if I recall correctly, someone brought up the point that the Skrall Armor can be attached to CCBS bones very early in the year. I'll need to see if I can dig up the topic...

It's something that's always stuck out to me, so I'm not surprised to see LEGO capitalizing on it. I wonder which other Gen1 pieces will surface.

It was LewiMOC. Can't find his post, but he posted a pic on flickr. :wink:

So I posted about these on my DA earlier, but for my thoughts:

Umarak: This is what I wanted out of a new Bonkle villain. Kulta is nice, but he's simplistic. With Vader and Grievous appearing, I was hoping that something else on their level would appear in Bionicle (And I'm hoping that something like Vader will be used for Makuta's MoUP form), and it did. THose legs look great, he seems to be festooned with weapons, as a hunter should, and the antlers look mad. They might cause a bit of an issue like Skull Basher's horns, but I'll deal with that when I get him.

Gali: I'm not sure I like her construction as much as her 2015 design, but the colours are better. New mask has quite the movie Nokama look, and I like that.Shells look to be trans-blue rather than trans-light-blue, which is an improvement over this year when she shared a trans colour with Kopaka. If it's not trans, it's either regular blue or dark blue, the latter of which I really, really want. I don't really like the weapon, though. The propellor looks too silly for me.

Pohatu: Can't see much of him, but it looks like we have more trans-lime pretending to be trans-yellow (Why is this a thing? Trans red and trans yellow exist, so why do Lego keep making trans reddish orange and trans lime and pretending they're the other colours in Constraction?), and an awesome new mask.

Lewa: Yes. I want this. That mask is amazing, that armour looks great, that colour scheme is fantastic, and those weapons don't need much modding.

Tiny glimpse of Tahu at the bottom: More gold, which I'm okay with, has wings in combined form, which is perfect. I want him too.

Toa overall: Good bye, 2.0 Torso shells! You probably won't be missed! Just the feet left to get rid of now! I'm loving the return of the Skrall armour, I need some more of those, and the new torso shell/shell and add-on look pretty damn good. I think they're an improvement on the 2015 designs, and I like the fact that the silver is worked into the colour scheme alongside their main colours.

Rumours: Honestly, I don't mind the idea of Onua looking less beefy. The super-bulky design is cool, but it leaves his limbs looking short and awkward. If they make him a tall and reasonably bulky rather than squat and wide, I think it might help. I can't help but notice that most of the fan mods for Onua make him much taller and bulkier in the limbs, to the point that he doesn't look like a beefcake anymore.

I'm hoping the trans-blended golden masks aren't a thing. If they use trans-blended golden masks to represent energy draining, then they should stick with that, rather than changing it for a new set.

I think Lewa and Gali look like they have trans rather than Potato being the only one with such colours. I'd rather that the trans was only used for bone pieces, like it was on Pohatu and Nilkuu. It makes them look like elements contained within armour, whereas trans armour on black or grey bones looks pretty bad to me.